Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Weah was a brilliant player but I don't think it's that mad that he's gone so late.

There were obvious strikers/forwards who would go ahead of him - Pele, Eusebio, Puskas, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Romario, and then I think there are a good number who are around a similar level to Weah if not better than him who have already been picked - Shevchenko and Batistuta, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No never got a PM and am on my phone so I've no notifications for the draft thread. Ill pick now

My bad. I'm away this weekend and can only get edge connection on my phone from time to time. Had tried sending a pm but it must have failed. Should have tried to post here and get someone else to do it.

My apologies lads for messing up and holding the whole show up.

Sorry again Eli!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In my opinion, once you got past the Ronaldo's and Peles there are a lot of strikers out there at similar levels of greatness, and it will probably be the last position I fill. I intend to have one up front, a goal scorer in the box, and I can think of at least a dozen great strikers for whom I could make an excellent case of saying he will score goals all day long because of the supply he's getting from the likes of Baggio and Best.

Theres are far less world class fullbacks than strikers, thats for sure.

Weah was a fantastic player, but I can list a dozen names just as good. I'm actually surprised Shevchenko went so early, there are far greater names still available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SlickRic wrote: »
    finally, Weah is gone.

are there no other Football Italia nuts from the 90s on here?

being able to get him in Round 6 is shameful IMO.

Wouldn't say shameful but he is a great value pick at this late stage, former world player of the year who I always felt was underrated by most just cos he was initially and they didn't see him play enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

In my opinion, once you got past the Ronaldo's and Peles there are a lot of strikers out there at similar levels of greatness, and it will probably be the last position I fill. I intend to have one up front, a goal scorer in the box, and I can think of at least a dozen great strikers for whom I could make an excellent case of saying he will score goals all day long because of the supply he's getting from the likes of Baggio and Best.

Theres are far less world class fullbacks than strikers, thats for sure.

Weah was a fantastic player, but I can list a dozen names just as good. I'm actually surprised Shevchenko went so early, there are far greater names still available.

I would agree with this.

It's all about supply and demand in this game imo. Obviously someone like Weah can probably be considered a 'better' player than Lizarazu but no one is going play with more than 1 or 2 strikers and a fullback is a necessity.

Still plenty of strikers left who can do the job imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

considering most of us will have seen Weah play in his pomp, unlike a huge amount of players picked, I think it's late for Weah.

but I do take the point that there is a fair few forwards to choose from, especially when you take into account all the players from way back when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

SlickRic wrote: »
    finally, Weah is gone.

are there no other Football Italia nuts from the 90s on here?

being able to get him in Round 6 is shameful IMO.

Italia 90 Nut <----

Batistuta was better imo.

I'll go ahead and PM redzerdog yeah?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Italia 90 Nut <----

Batistuta was better imo.

I'll go ahead and PM redzerdog yeah?

assume you have done as I see your offline now but incase you were waiting for an answer yes do as he is next iirc, first in the next rd (ill actually copy and past the most recent draw into the OP of the other thread now for convenience sake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Finally Del Piero is taken. Can't understand how he didn't go earlier. Especially since a lot of people seem to be picking players based on their wiki pages!

glad to have gotten my FB positions sorted in my last 2 go's their going fast and could make a big difference considering the quality of attackers everyone has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

glad to have gotten my FB positions sorted in my last 2 go's their going fast and could make a big difference considering the quality of attackers everyone has

Re: your latest post in the picks thread. You have a great pair up top, Bounty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Lost a lot of my potentials in last 10 picks. Give me a minute or two as on phone

Update

jFvBQP6.png

Effenburg was a quality player, he was my next in line to sit beside Keane in midfield, disappointed to miss out on him!

Effenburg was a quality player, he was my next in line to sit beside Keane in midfield, disappointed to miss out on him!

Yeah, was very happy to get him tbh. Too much value to pass up on.

Himself, Rijkaard and Gerrard will provide me with a very solid midfield trio I feel.

Should be some craic if I meet Knex, Stoichkov and Effenberg on the same pitch.

Effenbergs book is comedy gold and well worth a read btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Terry also a good pick - he's a dislikeable character and hasn't been great the last few years so maybe that stood against him, but he was considered the best centre-back in the world for a good couple of years at least and was the central part of the meanest Premier League defence we've ever seen (04/05 season)

Morzadec wrote: »
    Terry also a good pick - he's a dislikeable character and hasn't been great the last few years so maybe that stood against him, but he was considered the best centre-back in the world for a good couple of years at least and was the central part of the meanest Premier League defence we've ever seen (04/05 season)

Aye. PL player of the year in 04 I think and was in the World XI for four years running.

He was an absolute beast in his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Took me long enough to get a 90's player.

Ayala will do very nicely. Surprised he lasted this long. Unreal defender for Valencia.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ayala will do very nicely. Surprised he lasted this long. Unreal defender for Valencia.

Yeah, he was fantastic at Valencia. Had considered him myself for a good long while tbh.

It was him or Figueroa for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ayala's a great pick,I'd have him before Puyol

Was seriously considering McGrath. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

great pick Blatter. He couldn't have lasted much longer and is a better pick imo than several of the centre-backs who have gone before.

At his peak he was as good a defender as anyone I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Morzadec wrote: »
    Actually, while we're on the topic, how would people describe the extinct sweeper role in modern terms? Is the current defensive midfielder a mutation of the old sweeper? A kind of 3rd 'defender' who allows attacking full-backs to bomb forward while also possessing some technical attributes (wider range of passing for example) than the traditional CB?

Busquets is often referred to as a 'tercero central' (a third centre back), with Alves and Alba playing as very attacking wing-backs, like in the old 5-3-2. Would Busquets have been classes as a sweeper if he played 20 years ago?
    I'd consider the direct descendant of the sweeper to be the keeper! Sweeping up at the back behind the defence do a fair amount of the job of a sweeper, making the role a bit redundant.

As well as that a sweeper really can only be played in a 3 (or more) man defence. If the sweeper bombs forward you'll still want at least two men back to cover each other. 3 man defences work well against 2 man attacks - 2 man markers and 1 sweeper. They're usually wasted on a 1 man attack which is common now. This gives rise to the bruiser/passer combination which is popular for defences. So a player like Ferdinand are a lot like sweepers in many ways. Skilled on the ball, prefer to cover rather than attack the ball and can burst forward to start an attack. It's not exactly the same though, they have much less leeway to go wandering up the pitch and have to do more basic defending.

Players like Busquets also do some of the role. It's not really one with a modern equivalent. It's kinda been broken up and given to a few different players.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Have to say, there's some great looking teams there at present.

I'd particularly like to see Moneymaker's IRL. Very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Morte can you stop mentioning players that haven't been picked . That's generally what is done in these drafts .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Was cosnidering Ayala, Lucio and McGrath next pick. Guess that narrows it down and makes it easier for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Have to say, there's some great looking teams there at present.

I'd particularly like to see Moneymaker's IRL. Very interesting.
    Apologies, I wasn't thinking and have edited. I just wanted to give familiar examples. For what it's worth they weren't selected for being good picks in the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Finally Boniek got picked and McGrath too not to mention George Weah. I was shocked those three lasted as long as they did. Still huge value to be had, I can think of another three players that should be long gone at this stage.

IncognitoMans front 3 of Henry, Shevchenko and C. Ronaldo would be impossible to stop. He is looking the strongest at the moment.

Also Thiago Silva was a steal for Blatter that far down in the draft.

One of G.Ks picks gets a mention on BBC website today
    Transfer fees steadily increased over the next half-century but did not break the six-figure mark until 1961 when Inter Milan signed Barcelona playmaker Luis Suarez for £142,000.

I've pm'd ITT-Pat for you Trippie.

anyone else get confused for a sec and think trippie just tried to draft Jonah Lomu?

• Advertisement

anyone else get confused for a sec and think trippie just tried to draft Jonah Lomu?

I'm still not sure if he plans to stick Totti out on the left wing?

Was the draw for the next round made? Only four picks left in this one.

if anyone wants to head over to random.org and make one ill edit it into the OP of the other thread

eugeneious
    Bounty Hunter
    Trippie
    Knex.
    Moneymaker
    Blatter
    Eli Manning
    Bucketybuck
    Copper_pipe
    IncognitoMan
    Jax Teller
    redzerdrog
    ITT-Pat
    whatawaster
    G.K
    Morzadec

Timestamp: 2013-06-05 12:51:40 UTC

Curses, again at the very end of the draft. Though I get 2 in near sucession which is nice I suppose.

Had considered Tardelli when I picked Pep too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

IncognitoMan's team is very good so far. May struggle with fullbacks and keepers, though. Not many greats greats left that I can remember.

GK - Get some players in who people have actually seen play, otherwise you'll struggle to get votes.

IncognitoMan's team is very good so far. May struggle with fullbacks and keepers, though. Not many greats greats left that I can remember.

GK - Get some players in who people have actually seen play, otherwise you'll struggle to get votes.
    He needs some that he's seen playing first. He picked his last player because he has good stats.

I can think of one great full back that hasn't been picked. Can play both side aswell

I'm a little surprised at some of the recent picks. Is Mats Hummels a legend? Really? Is Gareth Bale really a legend?

I know we can pick anybody, from any time, but I hope to god people won't be viewing Bale as more dangerous than George Best or Jairzinho just because he is flavour of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

3 or 4 teams are woefully off the pace of whats going to be required in this and there are 3 who are a bit ahead of the group. Morzadec is looking very good but will need to get a striker who can bring it all together.

I'm a little surprised at some of the recent picks. Is Mats Hummels a legend? Really? Is Gareth Bale really a legend?

I know we can pick anybody, from any time, but I hope to god people won't be viewing Bale as more dangerous than George Best or Jairzinho just because he is flavour of the month.

The criteria is anyone ,not just legends but anybody at their peak . No point picking some guy you've never seen before or never heard much about when there is players equally as good playing nowadays .

Some silly picks being made IMO ,especially people who generally play through the middle being put out wide .

Felexicon wrote: »
    He picked his last player because he has good stats.

That's hardly the only reason. Yes, his awards are impressive, but bad players have won awards in the past.

But as PhlegmyMoses suggests, my picks could come back to bite me on the backside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

surprised nobody took any PES United players, legends of their time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

surprised nobody took any PES United players, legends of their time.
    Castolo could be a late round pick yet

If people were going to consider them better than those guys then they wouldnt be getting picked at the end of rd8 while they went in the first few rounds.

Players like theses & Scweinsteiger, Lahm etc are only getting picked now despite them argueably being the best in the world atm

G.K. wrote: »
    That's hardly the only reason. Yes, his awards are impressive, but bad players have won awards in the past.

But as PhlegmyMoses suggests, my picks could come back to bite me on the backside.
    Just out of interest G.K. How many games have you seen some of your players in.
    Being honest I always thought there was only the one Luis Suarez and I'm not old enough to have seen a lot of some of the others.
    Do you watch old games online or just go on reputation?
    Not having a go, just wondering how you're going to put forward the argument for some of your players besting some "better known" faces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement