Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Did Trippie realise it was his pick? He was posting in this thread a couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Agreed with Slick. You just need a balance. If all your players are from the 50s, 60s and 70s you're going to struggle to capture people's imaginations. Mix them in with the likes of Zidane, Nesta, Keane etc and people may understand the shape of your team more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Blatter wrote: »
    Did Trippie realise it was his pick? He was posting in this thread a couple of hours ago.

Hadn't even spotted that. Should we PM just incase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Knex. wrote: »
    Hadn't even spotted that. Should we PM just incase?

Yeah I'll send him one there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Eto'o is a great choice at this stage. Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Eto'o is a great choice at this stage. Class act.
    Yeah but saying he's better than Shevchenko is a bold statement. Great player at this stage though

Toughest choice for me so far. Had three players in mind for my last three spots and went with the one I felt was most likely to go first.

Will be gutted if one of my next two are gone before my next pick tbh.

Edit: Team so far:

abEUKvdahS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Eto'o is a brilliant pick at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eto'o should have gone ahead of Weah imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Don't think I'd have Busquets & Makélélé in the same side bit too defensive imo .

• Advertisement

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Don't think I'd have Busquets & Makélélé in the same side bit too defensive imo .

Would be fine if he had a more rampaging third midfielder. Instead he has Xavi. Think maybe Xavi plus 1 from Busquets/Makelele and a more recognised AM would be more ideal, but then again, a lot of those players have been picked already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'd love to have got kahn. Class keeper

Would be fine if he had a more rampaging third midfielder. Instead he has Xavi. Think maybe Xavi plus 1 from Busquets/Makelele and a more recognised AM would be more ideal, but then again, a lot of those players have been picked already.

I can think of a certain little Croat who would have fitted in perfectly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eto'o should have gone ahead of Weah imo.
    Why? I don't agree btw.

Hard to make a call either way between Eto'o and Weah. Eto'o was more clinical and probably shone brighter for longer but Weah was class and did his best stuff in a league that was littered with some of the best defenders ever at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Hard to make a call either way between Eto'o and Weah. Eto'o was more clinical and probably shone brighter for longer but Weah was class and did his best stuff in a league that was littered with some of the best defenders ever at the time.
    Don't forget George Weah is also the only player to be 29 three seasons in a row :D

Felexicon wrote: »
    Don't forget George Weah is also the only player to be 29 three seasons in a row :D

And I also used to pretend to be him when out in the school yard. Either him or Giuseppe Signori, purely because he was a lefty.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why? I don't agree btw.

Eto'o 284 goals in 535 club games
    Weah 193 goals in 478 club games

Eto'o 5 20+ goal seasons and 3 30+ goal seasons
    Weah 2 20+ goal seasons and 0 30+ goal seasons

I just think Eto'o was more productive and his best seasons were untouchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I think this was a bad enough idea for a draft, which is why I didn't participate - I participated in the last two but I saw lots of problems with this one. That being said it always provides great entertainment when somebody organises one of these. Hopefully there'll be another around October/November for the PL.

As somebody not participating, I haven't kept up that much with this. But I strongly believe that people are using the word "prime" in a context which is greatly different to mine.

I think this will be very divisive. A lot of it is on reputation and I personally would give a lot of weight to things like reputation, the beliefs of people who are in my view reputable - in regard to players who I haven't seen. People who have picked their sides with consideration to more recent players might feel like they were principled enough or something not to pick players they haven't seen, which i completely disagree with. Others will agree, that's fine.

Some of the picks have shocked me for sure - fully with LuckyLloyd in his views on the Hummels pick too, if you are going to count 40 or 50 games as being in somebodies prime then this is a farce.

Not sure if I ever would have gone for the likes of Dani Alves for example, or I think someone picking Gareth Bale would have to do a bit to justify that to me ahead of someone like Socrates who lasted much longer.

Anyways I'll keep up with this until the end. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tbh, Alves is a fine pick.

he's done enough in that Barca team for the last few years to warrant consideration for this.

i can see a few gems slipping through the net completely tbh. i might see what sort of team I can put together with all those who haven't been picked once everyone has finished drafting...just for my own shíts and giggles.

it could be interesting.

the draft, while always having some flaws, is always entertaining.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eto'o 284 goals in 535 club games
    Weah 193 goals in 478 club games

Eto'o 5 20+ goal seasons and 3 30+ goal seasons
    Weah 2 20+ goal seasons and 0 30+ goal seasons

I just think Eto'o was more productive and his best seasons were untouchable
    They were totally different types of player though. Weah was a really hard worker and got back and dug in, he also could beat players almost at will in his prime.

Those stats mean nothing because of how different they were.

SlickRic wrote: »
    tbh, Alves is a fine pick.

he's done enough in that Barca team for the last few years to warrant consideration for this.

i can see a few gems slipping through the net completely tbh. i might see what sort of team I can put together with all those who haven't been picked once everyone has finished drafting...just for my own shíts and giggles.

it could be interesting.

the draft, while always having some flaws, is always entertaining.
    I was thinking the same thing myself. There are so many great ones that have not been picked.

There's an absolute gold mine of strikers left. I cannot for the life of me make up my mind as to which one I want. Heck, I can't even narrow it to three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Neeskens is the only one in my team so far that a few wouldn't have heard about. By all accounts he was a great all round midfielder overshadowed by Cruyff. Miguel Delaney ranked him as the 19th best footballer ever and he made it into his greatest team of all time.

This is the piece on him:

Would be interesting to gauge if many on here know about him or have seen him play before.

My childhood, from the ages of 5-10, was full of my grandad (who had lived in Barça from 1963 until 2006) telling me about one of the best midfields he had witnessed in Barcelona's history, Neeskens being one of those players, despite him being there for only 5 years.

They weren't very successful during his time there, a Copa Del Rey and a Cup Winners Cup are all he had to show, but he's still very highly regarded by the older generation of fans.

Mesmeric runs from the centre, pinpoint passing and an eye for goal are the traits I still remember being told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Can someone PM the next guy please?

• Advertisement

Can someone PM the next guy please?

Will do.

Am I good with Maicon? Can I pm the next guy?

Am I good with Maicon? Can I pm the next guy?

Nobodies picked him yet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Would appreciate any feedback on this team lads.

. Julio Cesar
    Phil Neal,-Cannavaro-Cheillini-Júnior
    . Xxxxxx Charlton-Hagi- Xxxxx
    . Pele-Hector Sanchez

Delighted to get Maicon. At he's peak he kept dani Alves out of the Brazil side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

. Julio Cesar
    . Pele-Hector Sanchez

Your CM isn't giving your defense enough cover atm, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

There's an absolute gold mine of strikers left. I cannot for the life of me make up my mind as to which one I want. Heck, I can't even narrow it to three.

I'm gonna throw a team together from the leftovers and i have 4 strikers i have in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

. Julio Cesar
    . Pele-Hector Sanchez

could hagi play wide and get a dm in there to shore things up

. Julio Cesar
    . Pele-Hector Sanchez

I always though Hagi was an attacking midfielder not a traditional Cm ? Same with Charlton . Considering you have Pele who liked to drop in behind the striker i don't think they're great picks .

They're great player obviously just don't see how that team would work the way you have it now .

How many picks do ye have left? I just put together a pretty tasty 11 of undrafteds there in about 10 minutes.

Most people have 2 left . Some have 3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think this was a bad enough idea for a draft, which is why I didn't participate - I participated in the last two but I saw lots of problems with this one. That being said it always provides great entertainment when somebody organises one of these. Hopefully there'll be another around October/November for the PL.

As somebody not participating, I haven't kept up that much with this. But I strongly believe that people are using the word "prime" in a context which is greatly different to mine.

I think this will be very divisive. A lot of it is on reputation and I personally would give a lot of weight to things like reputation, the beliefs of people who are in my view reputable - in regard to players who I haven't seen. People who have picked their sides with consideration to more recent players might feel like they were principled enough or something not to pick players they haven't seen, which i completely disagree with. Others will agree, that's fine.

Some of the picks have shocked me for sure - fully with LuckyLloyd in his views on the Hummels pick too, if you are going to count 40 or 50 games as being in somebodies prime then this is a farce.

Not sure if I ever would have gone for the likes of Dani Alves for example, or I think someone picking Gareth Bale would have to do a bit to justify that to me ahead of someone like Socrates who lasted much longer.

Anyways I'll keep up with this until the end. Good luck.

Did you see Alves play for Sevilla?

Was going to take Gerson before deciding on Pep instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Can someone send the next guy a PM please?

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Can someone send the next guy a PM please?

Done.

• Advertisement

Operation disregard advice for 50's legend, in progress.

Had finally decided upon going with Rush and then whatawaster plucked him. Back to the drawing board :D

He's great value this late IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

G.K. wrote: »
    Operation disregard advice for 50's legend, in progress.

50's legends are the best legends.

Could have gone for a plethora of strikers but going for Cruyff up top in the False 9-esque role he played instead, supported by Hidegkuti.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Van Nistelrooy is great pick up for that team

Ah Van Nistelrooy probably my favourite player of all time

I trust you know it's your pick again, Morzadec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Costacurta should have went much earlier.

Heh, that makes my pick ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

G.K. wrote: »
    Heh, that makes my pick ironic.

No offence GK but you seem to be seriously over-compensating for your age with your selections, though obviously Tassoti not so much.

Advertisement