Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Ireland

• 26-05-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm moving to Ireland soon, and was wondering if people could give me some advice.

I lived in Ireland for some years growing up but left, and seeing as I was a teen, I'm not sure my experiences are relevant any longer.

Whilst my grandparents were Irish, I'm distinctly conscious of the fact that I have a very neutral English accent.

I caught some flak for it at one of the schools I went to, but they were a shower of *****, so I'm not holding that to be representative. The other school I was in, I was pretty happy. :)

My question though is: Do I have a viable future in Ireland? And if so how would I go about making the most of it all? I'm aware that most people will have made their friendship groups, and I'm wondering how to integrate the best I can.

I know I can "survive" but I'd be looking to fully integrate into a community as best as I can. No point in living half a life eh?!

Basically give it to me straight.... :P :pac:

P.s I've got a top degree with a fair amount of experience in certain areas so will be aiming to get a job quite quickly in some of the vacancies I've seen. I'll be staying with some distant relatives at first, but will hopefully quickly move into my own place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In before 'Ireland is a sh!t country why would you move here' posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here's what you can do you and your english accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

will be aiming to get a job quite quickly in some of the vacancies I've seen. .

Good luck with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I lived on Londonn during the
    Bombings & will always remember how
    Kind and
    Unbiased everyone Was To Me in the office and as I went about with my big Irish accent. People are Good.

I hope you will have a good experience With us when you come to live here -
    Welcome!!!

Lots of people have problems setting up in new places but with family & a
    Denominating local activity like a
    Club ( GAA/soccer/teamsports!) or volunteering somewhere you should quickly meet people & get to know them!!!

& don't let the bad ole schooldays ruin your new start - Kids can be very Cruel - Let's hope as adults we've all evolved & grown up a bit & copped on!!

I hope you're not listening to the lies of recruitment consultants to believe its easy To get a good Job over here
    - if it's a lowly paid job you'll
    Be OK - or one in IT or accountancy
    But otherwise like the rest of
    The 400,000 that are unemployed or left the country you might find it not as quick or easy as you hope.

Best of luck with it!
    Where will You be based?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭M442

I don't think your accent will be an issue with the majority of people, just a few close minded fools.
    Joining a club or society is a great way to make friends and build your network. Shouldn't be too difficult to become part of a community.
    Depending on what area you work in finding work might be a real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i am sorry to inform you that all hope is cancelled for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 3 worldcitizen

fryup wrote: »
    here's what you can do you and your english accent

Thanks. Now tell me, would you be the snide one that'd say it in a pub behind my back, or would you be out in the open with it?

Genuinely curious.
    Chucken wrote: »
    Good luck with that!

I've got a couple interviews, and I'm fairly confident in myself and what I can offer. We'll have to see though I guess!
    I lived on Londonn during the
    Bombings & will always remember how
    Kind and
    Unbiased everyone Was To Me in the office and as I went about with my big Irish accent. People are Good.

I hope you will have a good experience With us when you come to live here -
    Welcome!!!

Lots of people have problems setting up in new places but with family & a
    Denominating local activity like a
    Club ( GAA/soccer/teamsports!) or volunteering somewhere you should quickly meet people & get to know them!!!

& don't let the bad ole schooldays ruin your new start - Kids can be very Cruel - Let's hope as adults we've all evolved & grown up a bit & copped on!!

Best of luck with it!
    Where will You be based?

What a lovely post, thank you very much. I used to play a few sports and have a few hobbies, so will have a look. :)

I understand what you mean about recruitment agencies, but I'm IT based, with a few years experience and a relevant degree with the possibility of a masters later on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Honestly not understanding your op. Is it not just like moving to a different area? Like moving from say Dublin to Galway?
    You 'integrate' just the same way you would if you were moving to a different area - within your own country, or someplace abroad.
    I have tons of friends who have moved to London in recent years, and they managed fine.
    Is it the English accent you are concerned about? Because that really isn't a big deal - you may even get more girls with it tbh! (That is if you are infact male/lesbian of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 worldcitizen

Honestly not understanding your op. Is it not just like moving to a different area? Like moving from say Dublin to Galway?
    You 'integrate' just the same way you would if you were moving to a different area - within your own country, or someplace abroad.
    I have tons of friends who have moved to London in recent years, and they managed fine.
    Is it the English accent you are concerned about? Because that really isn't a big deal - you may even get more girls with it tbh! (That is if you are infact male/lesbian of course!)

Moving countries (Even though I have prior experience is) is fairly different from moving counties! I've moved around a lot, and wouldn't think twice about moving somewhere else in the UK.

The difference between England and Ireland is fairly substantial, and I certainly wouldn't want to be naive and think otherwise! :)

Also, I know a lot of Irish people who have moved over to the UK happily, but that is because the UK is inherently more multicultural/diversified/scattered, something that isn't as prevelant in Ireland just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Moving countries (Even though I have prior experience is) is fairly different from moving counties! I've moved around a lot, and wouldn't think twice about moving somewhere else in the UK.

The difference between England and Ireland is fairly substantial, and I certainly wouldn't want to be naive and think otherwise! :)

Also, I know a lot of Irish people who have moved over to the UK happily, but that is because the UK is inherently more multicultural/diversified/scattered, something that isn't as prevelant in Ireland just yet.

Yes thats so true! Have you investigated the "dancing at the crossroads" phenomenon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Don't think the accent will have any bearing on anything... You'll get some stick but its only a bit of craic. An Irish accent is almost in the minority it seems when walking around Dublin especially.

As for integration, depends on the kind of community you move into. Go down the local and be friendly without being too forward or pushy. Introduce yourself to your neighbours straight away when you move in somewhere. You'd be amazed the amount of people who just blank their neighbours.

Join a club or do some charity/community work or something to meet some decent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Despite what the naysayers would have you believe, Ireland is a lot more diversified, multicultural and tolerant than you might think. And as for scattered, well, we wrote the book on scattered.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The only real day to day difference between living in Ireland and living in England is the currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

says the man who is yet to come here ;)

orestes wrote: »
    The only real day to day difference between living in Ireland and living in England is the currency.

and the accent..

Id give it a one, two at a push?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Welcome to Ireland! We are completely ****ed and broke but sure it's the craic like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

IM0 wrote: »
    and the accent..

Considering how many different accents there are even within each country and we all (for the vast majority) speak the same language I don't even count the accents as a real difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Peter The Pedo

You can join my gang ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You'll be fine OP. Almost everyone has some English family members. We're very used to the various accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

Your accent is not a problem. It depends on what you work at . I would not leave UK until I had a job guaranteed.The job market is not good so be careful and as someone mentioned do not take a lot of heed of agencies. No problem mixing . There are about 250000 UK residents in Ireland now. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I wouldn't worry about the accent issue. I'm English and I don't get any stick for my accent. Probably a bit bastardized at this stage though, as I've been living in Ireland longer than I was in England. Just the one thing though;

For fcuk's sake, don't forget your umbrella!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People with IT experience are given a red carpet from the plane at the moment,or so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

Bit of a dramatic post I found!!!

Do you have a viable future? This is upto you and you only! Why do you want to come to Ireland? Motivation is key.

I'm from the Isle of Man, arrived in Ireland 2 months ago after living in Malta for 3 years. My motivation for being in Dublin is to live somewhere like home but with more people and opportunities to enjoy more hobbies and just enjoy life.

Jobs are fierce competition here, I was lucky to have found a job for the same company I once worked for back home.

That being said, I would have done anything to succeed.

Oh, and the English accent is not an issue! Since Polish is Dublins second language now, the haters have bigger fish to fry ;), though I have noticed the Dubliners open up and become more cheery when I mention that I'm Manx.

Just be patient... And be prepared to do what you can in the short term.

kneemos wrote: »
    People with IT experience are given a red carpet from the plane at the moment,or so I've heard.

True enough!

blueser wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the accent issue. I'm English and I don't get any stick for my accent. Probably a bit bastardized at this stage though, as I've been living in Ireland longer than I was in England. Just the one thing though;

For fcuk's sake, don't forget your umbrella!!!

yeah cause we all know it doesnt rain in england much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Slight tangent but does anyone know what are the numbers of British people living in Ireland. I think I remember reading that it is by far the largest ex pat community?

OP, Irish people are generally welcoming and helpful. You shouldn't have much difficulty integrating, just throw yourself out there. Getting involved in a sport is always a good place to start.

How so? I mean there are a few obvious cultural differences, but nothing major. Moving somewhere like the U.S. or Australia, I would think maybe yeah, it might be a bit more daunting if you weren't familiar with the country and it's customs etc...

But the difference between Ireland and the U.K.? Honestly not seeing it. I've been to the U.k. plenty of times, my dad grew up there, I have friends that have moved from here to there and visa versa. As I said, yes, you do definitely notice a few things alright, but they are just little trivial things in the grand scheme of things. I much prefer the transportation systems in U.K. for instance - everything is clearly sign posted and there are efficient, effective systems, whereas here, you wouldn't have a clue where you are half the time!

So yeah, really don't see the big deal. I mean, if it were me, I'd definitely be a bit nervous, but culturally there really isn't much of a difference imo. To me it would be no different from growing up in Dublin and moving to Kerry. Actually, I think I'd cope with moving to U.K. better than moving to Kerry!

Aced_Up wrote: »
    though I have noticed the Dubliners open up and become more cheery when I mention that I'm Manx.

Isn't that a cat with no tail? (bet you never hear that ever!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,you will be fine here.There are 112,000 British citizens living in Ireland.Basically,1 in 45 people here is British.Your accent would no longer be a novelty at this stage although you will always meet idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Go home Yank!

Isn't that a cat with no tail? (bet you never hear that ever!) :)

Lol, actually... No one has mentioned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Welcome, welcome OP

No postcodes, don't need any as the postmen are brilliant :cool:

Your postman will know your townland, your parish, the names and ages of all your children and all without postcodes

Putting a name on your house may be acceptable but if you call it x manor or x house the locals will think you're trying to landed gentry. :rolleyes:

If you call it El Dorado they'll think you are a Yank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Chucken wrote: »
    Yes thats so true! Have you investigated the "dancing at the crossroads" phenomenon?

Don't forget the moving statues and "money just resting in accounts" of developers, bankers etc.

You will have no problem. Get involved with golf club, tennis club soccer or other activity and you will meet loads of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Welcome, welcome OP

No postcodes, don't need any as the postmen are brilliant :cool:

Your postman will know your townland, your parish, the names and ages of all your children and all without postcodes

Putting a name on your house may be acceptable but if you call it x manor or x house the locals will think you're trying to landed gentry. :rolleyes:

If you call it El Dorado they'll think you are a Yank!

As a matter of fact the postman knows already who you are, where you are from, how much you earned last year (in Ireland there is a difference between what you earn and what you make).
    No need to tell anyone your business, The neighbours will take care of that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

With English accent to Ireland? Hmmm....
    Chances of your survival are much less than you might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

IM0 wrote: »
    yeah cause we all know it doesnt rain in england much
    Wind your neck in. Firstly, I'd have thought that my post was obviously meant to be ironic in nature. Guess you missed that though. Secondly, depending on
    A. which part of England the OP is leaving, and
    B. what part of Ireland he's moving to

There could be a considerable difference in rainfall. If he's moving from sunny (!) Manchester (my old patch) to equally sunny (!) Mayo, then there's fcuk all difference. It rains for the vast majority of days in the year, IN BOTH LOCATIONS. Hope that is clear enough for you. However; if he's moving from the South East of England to Mayo, there is a significant difference in the weather. Unfortunately he (she?) doesn't give any indication as to their present and future locations so it's all hypothetical anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

If it makes you feel any better, I'm English and have a pretty strong 'BBC English' accent. I was worried it might cause problems when I moved over in October, particularly as I work in customer service and spend lots of time speaking to people, but I've not had the slightest issue. In fact, most people have actually been curious about where I'm from and how I'm finding Ireland! So-... in my experience, an English accent in Ireland works out just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

No big deal OP, no different to a German moving to Austria really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some say there is no differences but there is plenty of small ones that add up. You'll be grand though just don't bring up Norn Iron on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

OP,you will be fine here.There are 112,000 British citizens living in The Republic of (?) Ireland.Basically,1 in 45 people here is British.Your accent would no longer be a novelty at this stage although you will always meet idiots.

FYP as they say round these parts.

I'd hazard a guess that there's a fair few Nordies in that figure. Plus there'd be a good few students.

I'd have thought that 112,000 would have been on the low end of my estimation. Doesn't leave a lot of space for the rest!

Edit: Added a link for the OP to see a general reaction to things English here on this site. Although, some people over here take the piss out of things for the craic so you can't take them too seriously

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84282914

(See second post ;-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14 temnos

Ireland is a great place to live and work, I am Irish but grew up in Wales and have a Welsh accent, it's not really a problem although it can be annoying when questioned about my acent.. I work as a technician in and out of peoples homes everyday. I have to say I spent many years in rural county Cork and I found a high amount of people fairly bigoted and racist. I am now in the east of the country and find people are generally just curious about where i am from and are much more open and friendly. If I could offer any advice avoid rural Cork, not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I'm doing the opposite soon!

You should be fine here. May meet some idiots, but you'll get them types in any country. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MANY areas of dublin have a neutral accent, dart,accent halfway between english and american,mid atlantic
    UNLESS you move into a real working class area ,you should have no problem.
    if you move into a middle class area you should not have a problem.

SOME working class people have a grudge against the english ,
    eg they are celtic supporters ,
    like some scottish loyalists are not too fond of the irish accent ,

of course every country has some racist bigots.
    I think many english people do well here ,as an english accent is viewed as
    a sign of intelligence ,unless its brummie or a strong regional accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

riclad wrote: »
    MANY areas of dublin have a neutral accent, dart,accent halfway between english and american,mid atlantic
    UNLESS you move into a real working class area ,you should have no problem.
    if you move into a middle class area you should not have a problem.

SOME working class people have a grudge against the english ,
    eg they are celtic supporters ,
    like some scottish loyalists are not too fond of the irish accent ,

of course every country has some racist bigots.
    I think many english people do well here ,as an english accent is viewed as
    a sign of intelligence ,unless its brummie or a strong regional accent.

So it's only fans of this particular club who have a "grudge"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 temnos

Rural Cork - big area; where were you based? I don't think what you talk about could be applied to West Cork anyway; that place is right-on central! :pac:

North Cork... more believable. :)

Well I lived in both, north cork was not as bad as west cork, an example, my child come home from school one day upset as she was told by a school friend she could not come to her party as her parents don't like "prods". we're not even religious!. Clearly the 6 year old friend heard this from her bigoted west cork parents. I am very glad to be well away from, horrid people.

Advertisement