Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice Cream Waiting Staff Internship.

• 26-05-2013 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭

Just saw a position advertised on the Jobsbridge site for an Ice Cream Waiting Staff Internship. What has the world come to, I ask you fellow boards.ie users?

I can only speak for myself when I say that I want my Ice Cream Waiting Staff to be a highly paid, motivated and happy members of society with great holidays. What I don't want is some student selling me Icecream for an extra 50e a week.

For the love of god, do we want dingleberries in our Icecream?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Don't have to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Remember when Edna Kenny said jobsbridge wouldn't get abused? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've got a 99 staff problem but a jobbridge ain't one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

OP, you could make a complaint. There have already been many complaints made, with some companies excluded from the scheme.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/employment/department-investigates-over-200-complaints-into-conduct-of-jobbridge-firms-1.1351863

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Phoebas wrote: »
    OP, you could make a complaint. There have already been many complaints made, with some companies excluded from the scheme.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/employment/department-investigates-over-200-complaints-into-conduct-of-jobbridge-firms-1.1351863

Where
    Do
    You
    Complain to.

Is there an email ?

This,
    Like Amy other tUAS, job bridge & " trainee" schemes is just abuse & exploitation of the young & vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

keelanj69 wrote: »
    Just saw a position advertised on the Jobsbridge site for an Ice Cream Waiting Staff Internship. What has the world come to, I ask you fellow boards.ie users?

I can only speak for myself when I say that I want my Ice Cream Waiting Staff to be a highly paid, motivated and happy members of society with great holidays. What I don't want is some student selling me Icecream for an extra 50e a week.

Would you prefer if it was served by a middle aged person with their last shred of dignity torn from them?

Internships me arse :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Chucken wrote: »
    Would you prefer if it was served by a middle aged person with their last shred of dignity torn from them?

Internships me arse :mad:

True enough. I had figured these jobs were aimed at younger people but no doubt a lot of people will be told to look at it.

True enough. I had figured these jobs were aimed at younger people but no doubt a lot of people will be told to look at it.

Not at all. Age doesn't come into it.

Have to say though, as a middle aged person, Id love to work in an ice cream shop :D Not for 50e a week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Where
    Do
    You
    Complain to.

This is just abuse & exploitation.
    Well, the first line of the newspaper article I linked to said that the Department of Social Protection was investigating reports, so I guess that's where to start.

Not much point in deriding the scheme on boards without actually bringing abuse of the scheme to the notice of the authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, Ice Cream Waiting is a tough career to get into.

You need at least 5+ years experience and a masters in Creamology before they even think of letting you near a scoop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ice Cream Waiting staff?

Do they wait for it to melt or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Well first of all Internships are for people on social welfare, so that doesn't include students.

And what are students supposed to do these days? How do you suggest they pay for their education?

On topic, Jobsbridge is turning into a joke. A good idea in theory, ruined by greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

what 'skills' will the 'successful applicant' gain?

i need to know before applying

Pulling cones, stacking tubs, pouring mix and sprinkling sprinkles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Don't see the problem. It gives someone with no skills or experience some experience as a waiter/waitress which will be useful for getting a permanent job in a restaurant.
    Not my choice of career but if you're into hospitality or interested in becoming a chef, experience is everything.

The only issue is that the pay is below legal levels.

Here's how I think Jobsbridge should be run, An Employer should be forced to subsidise the the pay up to minimum wage. They can only take on the employee for a fixed period of 6 months to 2 years depending on the job.
    After that time, if the member of staff is given a full time job with the employer or goes on to find a job elsewhere because of training and experience gained, the employer gets to take another employee.

This system means that employers will carefully choose the best candidates and make sure they train to a level that the employee would be experienced enough to get a permanent job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Well, Ice Cream Waiting is a tough career to get into.

You need at least 5+ years experience and a masters in Creamology before they even think of letting you near a scoop.

Creamology and Creamonomy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Some bin company fired their staff and replaced them all with job bridge interns. I have a feeling it doesn't take a 3 month internship to drag bins to the machine and press a button to empty it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Don't see the problem. It gives someone with no skills or experience some experience as a waiter/waitress which will be useful for getting a permanent job in a restaurant.
    Not my choice of career but if you're into hospitality or interested in becoming a chef, experience is everything.

The only issue is that the pay is below legal levels.

Here's how I think Jobsbridge should be run, An Employer should be forced to subsidise the the pay up to minimum wage. They can only take on the employee for a fixed period of 6 months to 2 years depending on the job.
    After that time, if the member of staff is given a full time job with the employer or goes on to find a job elsewhere because of training and experience gained, the employer gets to take another employee.

This system means that employers will carefully choose the best candidates and make sure they train to a level that the employee would be experienced enough to get a permanent job.

It doesnt take 9 months to learn how to wait on tables. That's the problem. I've worked in hotels and bars and I could train in someone with no experience to a productive level in less than a week. If a company wants to offer their service in training up the unemployed of the country they should have to work with FAS to come up with a detailed realistic training plan for the applicant before they can offer a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

The *idea* of internships is a great thing, however Irish employers have really started to take the mick lately. Looking through job listings for the last few weeks, and have found that most employers seek out free labour from young, naive people all the while while promising a job after 3-6 months that mightn't even happen??

Absolute disgrace. Really bad system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I was looking for an engineering internship to do during the summer while at college and one company said it takes 3 months to train someone in the company. Lets say 6 months would be needed to train someone who has done an engineering course.

How the hell can these companies justify 9 months where the person would be finished training for most of it and just becomes free labour. Waiting and retail staff wanted signs tend to say need 2 years experience anyway so even after 9 months you would find it difficult to get a job.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Some bin company fired their staff and replaced them all with job bridge interns. I have a feeling it doesn't take a 3 month internship to drag bins to the machine and press a button to empty it

Who are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It doesnt take 9 months to learn how to wait on tables. That's the problem. I've worked in hotels and bars and I could train in someone with no experience to a productive level in less than a week. If a company wants to offer their service in training up the unemployed of the country they should have to work with FAS to come up with a detailed realistic training plan for the applicant before they can offer a place.

So from the 6 months they would gain the training in 2-4 weeks and the rest of it would be experience worthy of going on a CV. Actually quite useful for someone with no previous experience.
    In terms of coming up with a training plan, it could be great on paper but not well implemented. In my example, the training is tested when the applicant applies for a job at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Kitchen Assistant

The intern will gain practical experience in health and safety, to include duties such as: upkeep of kitchen areas, cleaning of all equipment and cleaning of kitchen utensils.

Obviously this is not being monitored at all. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

How the hell can these companies justify 9 months where the person would be finished training for most of it and just becomes free labour. Waiting and retail staff wanted signs tend to say need 2 years experience anyway so even after 9 months you would find it difficult to get a job.

They don't have to justify it. Every intern is a person off the live register so the Government is happy about that. They don't care what internships are offered. Look at the kitchen assistant one above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ignorance is bliss.

Its takes years to train someone on how to wait tables, its not just a case of taking orders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Ireland will be back in the boom again with internships like this....Yeee haaaah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Do you get free ice cream? Yum.

I honestly never heard of an ice cream waiter in my life. Do they make up new professions?

I honestly never heard of an ice cream waiter in my life. Do they make up new professions?

I think they do. Its the age old dilemma- Am I the Assistant Regional Manager or Assistant to the Regional Manager :P

• Advertisement

Just checked out the jobbridge ice cream waiter role

Education requirement: Junior Certificate

There's something wrong there. It sounds like the perfect summer job for a student but why bother pay a wage :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Well first of all Internships are for people on social welfare, so that doesn't include students.

And what are students supposed to do these days? How do you suggest they pay for their education?

On topic, Jobsbridge is turning into a joke. A good idea in theory, ruined by greed

I work full time on a low wage job and go to college part time. The college experience probably isn't the same and its a lot of pressure meeting deadlines and fitting the time for study in but it can be done.

NONE, full training will be provided, by your very own mentor.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Sounds a bit flakey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Internships like this are just fronts to looking for cheap labour. Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss.

Its takes years to train someone on how to wait tables, its not just a case of taking orders.

There's a six month course in Not Dropping Stuff, is there? I'd say a lot of them go on to do the Postgrad course in Bringing the Wrong Thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

kylith wrote: »
    There's a six month course in Not Dropping Stuff, is there? I'd say a lot of them go on to do the Postgrad course in Bringing the Wrong Thing.

But ya see its a highly skilled, high pressure, professional job don't ya know,

Just like driving a bus.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bet there'd be hundreds and thousands of applicants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Scambridge strikes again. It is outrageous that this sham is allowed to continue in its current form.

all these puns are killing me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

stay cool no matter what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Im going to apply for some of these schemes....or scams in the hopes I can get the position and then accidentally smash the place up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My old job, that I left because she wouldn't give me any hours, or would bring me in for the day but could send me home after a few hours, is now a "full time intern position". Haha, oh The Lord help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

krudler wrote: »
    Bet there'd be hundreds and thousands of applicants.

More than likely, which is funny because I remember before the jobbridge programme kicked off I went for a place in an organisation that was looking for a network technician.

Only me and 2 other people had applied for it, despite it being advertised online and in a newspaper. 1 of those guys didn't show up for the interview when he learnt it didn't pay.

Got the job and finished my 9 month contract with them just as the programme started. They still had the same problem with nobody applying for the job (which they had then split up into 3 separate jobs, techie, databasing, web design)

I couldn't go back to them, which I wanted to since I was still out of work, because Jobbridge wouldn't allow you to work with the same people twice.

I then got phone calls off other companies I was recommended to who told me the same thing with nobody applying to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

And it's this attitude that contributes to the amount of poor waiting staff in Ireland.

Honestly, it's so bad in so many places.

There's a difference between a productive level - simply being competent - and one who knows how to do the job the way it should be done.

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

This company is blatantly milking the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Its not right...I heard the guy who had the internship before it was advertised was found dead on the premises, covered in raspberry syrup,hundreds and thousands,flakes and chocolate sauce..

Apparently he topped himself!

/i'll get my coat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Well done op on getting the scoop on this. It's just the tip of the iceberg and really takes the biscuit. Employers are creaming it while workers dont even get a fair shake. They should put a freeze on this until the problem is licked. Do they even get sundaes off.....

/come back with my coat:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What can we do to get it sorted out though? Who can we start a letter-writing campaign to? It's no good us sitting here complaining about it; we need to kick up a stink until it's fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Sound like...*puts on sunglasses*...the Rocky Road to fame and fortune

• Advertisement
Advertisement