Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant/shrub suggestions?

• 26-05-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

hi folks - yesterday I planted a Japanese Acer bloodgood (it's about 2 1/2 foot tall at the moment) in a smallish bed prepared for it, and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for one or two plants that might be planted in or around it?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you looking to continue the japanese idea, or looking for something with flowers to tone with the red of the acer?

For japanese, less is more. a few odd shaped stones/rocks, apply some moss and you're done. (To get moss to grow on anything, mash or blend some moss up with equal parts buttermilk and water and apply to your rock, concrete, log, whatever). You could add one of those small japanese prostrate conifers.. Abies amabilis, something like that.

For some low colour, a red saxifrage might suit. Easy to grow, low with flowers which will tone with the acer.
    http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/saxifraga-pixie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

pwurple wrote: »
    Are you looking to continue the japanese idea, or looking for something with flowers to tone with the red of the acer?

For japanese, less is more. a few odd shaped stones/rocks, apply some moss and you're done. (To get moss to grow on anything, mash or blend some moss up with equal parts buttermilk and water and apply to your rock, concrete, log, whatever). You could add one of those small japanese prostrate conifers.. Abies amabilis, something like that.

For some low colour, a red saxifrage might suit. Easy to grow, low with flowers which will tone with the acer.
    http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/saxifraga-pixie

Not necessarily keeping up the japanese theme - I think something that might compliment the red of the acer, but whether that means something white or pink or red - :confused: however, I love that saxifrage - beautiful - thanks for suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

hello

Aspleniums look good under acers and like the shade

Black ophipogons nigrescens is a good option too

For colour you could plant cyclamens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if you are going to plant up then low growing ground cover to show off the acer. But the rocks and stones and pebbles and sand and moss with a small water feature is what looks best, maby with a bit of bamboo to the rear somewhere

Advertisement