Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sterilise a preserving jar?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone know how I can sterilise a jar like this
    it got a rubber ring around the top to keep it air tight which might melt in the oven?

I had some seeds in these jars which I forgot about and had to throw out earlier as there was a little mould on some of them.

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wash it all thoroughly in hot soapy water and rinse well. Remove the ring and leave to dry separately. Place the jar in a clean baking tray in a warm oven (about 180C). Bake for about 20 mins. Remove from the oven and fill while warm.

It's also a good idea to apply a little vaseline or oil to the metal parts of Kilner jars to prevent rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Thanks very much for the good advice. I was worried because of the metal and rubber and the sites I checked only talked about 'regular' jars
    Thank You :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No problems - you pretty much treat them the same as regular jars, just keep the ring separate.

Advertisement