Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Alternative to Sky/UPC?

• 26-05-2013 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked dozens of time before, but a search of the forum found no answers...

Is there any alternative to Sky/UPC - or is it a duopoly?? :confused:

Not really interested in Saorview/Freeview as I already have that.

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

All there is out there is UPC, Sky, Freeview and Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eircom are supposedly launching IPTV later in the year on their e-fibre system.

It's possible Magnet might do something similar too (over the same network).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Typo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you looked at a Satellite based Freesat box with recording? It has 8 day guide, series link, a good selection of channels etc. The main downside is upfront cost, and you need a different box/remote for the Irish channels

http://www.freesat.co.uk

Expect to pay 200 Euro for a humax box, and a dish with 2 connections is needed.

What you really need to ask yourself is what types of shows you are interested in, and what channels they are on, and if they are free channels or pay channels. Also have you good enough broadband to watch TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

zg3409 wrote: »
    What you really need to ask yourself is what types of shows you are interested in, and what channels they are on, and if they are free channels or pay channels. Also have you good enough broadband to watch TV?

That is the key question for you OP.

If you tell us what you want perhaps we can answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm not happy with Sky's service TBH. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I've got BB but only 8MB, which is good enough I suppose, and I can watch programmes over the net if I want. I've also got Tunnel Bear so that I can watch BBC iPlayer.

The only thing I'd really miss I suppose is the Sky Sports as I love American Footy. You can get the late Sun games on Ch4, but Sky's coverage is the best. If I'm honest, that's the ONLY reason I got it in the first place!! The rest of the channels are meh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Paulw wrote: »
    All there is out there is UPC, Sky, Freeview and Saorview.

Not always correct; it depends on where you live. Other cable operators do exist, but usually not in direct competition with UPC.

Advertisement