Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo

• 26-05-2013 5:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

Not sure if this is the right place but my barber recommended I get the above shampoo and use it twice a week to stop my hair thinning.

The only thing I'm worried about is the caffeine ingredient as I find if I have too much caffeine I can get palpitations.

Does anyone know if using the above would result in that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Only if you eat it. But palpitations would probably be the least of your worries if your diet consists of shampoo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

the palpitations thing can be an issue with caffeine shampoo, I know I read it before but can't track down article, maybe check with doctor or look into alternative remedies for hair loss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 choppy1988

Only if you eat it. But palpitations would probably be the least of your worries if your diet consists of shampoo :D
    dee_mc wrote: »
    the palpitations thing can be an issue with caffeine shampoo, I know I read it before but can't track down article, maybe check with doctor or look into alternative remedies for hair loss

I can have small doses of caffeine, I do notice when I consume a lot of it that I get palpitations.

My barber told me that my hairline is not receding, but that it is getting a bit thin due to using hair gel (because of the alcohol content in it).

He recommended using the above shampoo twice a week as it will help strengthen the thickness etc. and then using clay or wax for my hair as they shouldn't damage it. Like does the shampoo go into your bloodstream through your hair? (Probably a stupid question I know).

What ye guys think? Give it a try? I can always stop using it if it does start to give me palpitations, sometimes I have to cut down on drinking Coca-Cola due to that drink giving me them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I apologise profusely for my previous comment, I was wrong. It seems studies show that caffeine can be absorbed through hair follicles.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2767280/

What you might want to figure out now is how much caffeine is in the shampoo, how much of that is likely to be absorbed before you rinse it off and then compare it to how much caffeine it would normally take to trigger palpitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

I am mid-40's female, and have been concerned about thinning hair for quite some time. I bought some caffeine shampoo to try it, was wondering how others found it, and I promise to update if anything exciting to report. I have used it twice, and it feels nice, leaves a thoroughly refreshed scalp. Reminds of 'clinic' medicated shampoo my mum used to buy for us years ago when we were kids. I have noticed that my scalp doesn't itch at all now, so it must be doing some good! Anyone?

picturehangup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I actually just bought this shampoo on Monday. Just used it once so far left in on my scalp for 5 mins and rinsed off. The pharmacist was raving about it. That's interesting about the palpitations link. I use a cellulite cream with caffeine in it too,hope I don't overdose:D

Hi jadie,

Used it last night, and yes, experienced some palpitations afterwards for a few minutes. Who's to say it def is the shampoo? it could be those several cups of tea I had earlier in the day! If it works on my hair, I will keep on using it. What did your pharmacist say about it, as a matter of interest? People must be giving positive feedback, so. Interested to hear how you will get on.
    Do you mind me asking why are you using it?

picturehangup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Hi jadie,

Used it last night, and yes, experienced some palpitations afterwards for a few minutes. Who's to say it def is the shampoo? it could be those several cups of tea I had earlier in the day! If it works on my hair, I will keep on using it. What did your pharmacist say about it, as a matter of interest? People must be giving positive feedback, so. Interested to hear how you will get on.
    Do you mind me asking why are you using it?

picturehangup

A lot of my hair has been falling out recently. The pharmacist said that it was flying off the shelves and it was better than Bioxet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

jadie wrote: »
    A lot of my hair has been falling out recently. The pharmacist said that it was flying off the shelves and it was better than Bioxet.

I'd say the reason it has flown off the shelves is because a lot of barbers are recommending it lately.

When my barber convinced me I got a bottle in Boots, told some of my friends and now two others have bought it too. Word of mouth seems to be going around about it. I never see them having too many in any pharmacy's anymore when I'm in.

As for what it's like: I have been using it about a month now, seems ok. Use it twice a week and leave it in for two mins (as per barbers instructions). He also told me to stop using Brylcreem Gel as the alcohol wrecks some of your hair follicles, and told me to get wax or clay.

To be honest I actually haven't noticed a difference, but then again it doesn't make hair grow, it only strengthens damaged hair follicles and helps to stop your hair from thinning. The barber told me that my hair isn't really receding, if it is then it is so very slowly, but he said he can see thinning and that using this should keep it thick. It's less than a tenner for a bottle and as I said I use it twice a week and I still have most of the bottle after a month so it's not expensive so I will keep using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

Seem to have loads of hair falling out at the moment so this seems like a good option to try. The only thing is that I was my hair most days, should I use this every day or would I be better off just using it twice a week?? Is there such a thing as overdoing it?? Don't want my hair to fall out from using it everyday!! :eek::eek:

Can't seem to find anything on the internet so maybe the back of the bottle might hold the answer for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ruthiepie wrote: »
    Seem to have loads of hair falling out at the moment so this seems like a good option to try. The only thing is that I was my hair most days, should I use this every day or would I be better off just using it twice a week?? Is there such a thing as overdoing it?? Don't want my hair to fall out from using it everyday!! :eek::eek:

Can't seem to find anything on the internet so maybe the back of the bottle might hold the answer for me!!

I was told that washing your hair everyday can be bad as the shampoo is washing away the natural oils so I've cut back to 3/4 times a week. My hair is extremely week and if I make a gentle pull at my hair I come away with about 20 hairs (no joke). Starting to worry a bit! :eek:

Caliden wrote: »
    I was told that washing your hair everyday can be bad as the shampoo is washing away the natural oils so I've cut back to 3/4 times a week. My hair is extremely week and if I make a gentle pull at my hair I come away with about 20 hairs (no joke). Starting to worry a bit! :eek:

Really?? This could be the cause of my problems so. How do you manage to cut it back to 3/4 times a week. My hair gets greasy so quickly I have to wash it every day. I find too with dry shampoo you know you have it in your hair and its not the same but maybe that might be the better of 2 evils.

I got a shampoo from a hair dresser before that apparently was so strong that you should only use it 1/2 a week. Apparently any more than that and it would make your hair dry. I tried using it more than that and nope no difference. Stupid hair! :pac:

Ok back on topic - I might try this so and try limiting washing my hair to every other day. Don't want it falling out altogether!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Really?? This could be the cause of my problems so. How do you manage to cut it back to 3/4 times a week. My hair gets greasy so quickly I have to wash it every day. I find too with dry shampoo you know you have it in your hair and its not the same but maybe that might be the better of 2 evils.

I got a shampoo from a hair dresser before that apparently was so strong that you should only use it 1/2 a week. Apparently any more than that and it would make your hair dry. I tried using it more than that and nope no difference. Stupid hair! :pac:

Ok back on topic - I might try this so and try limiting washing my hair to every other day. Don't want it falling out altogether!!! :eek:

In my experience, you just have to leave your hair as long as possible without washing it. I went from washing every day to every 3 days by just refusing to wash it any more often, no matter how tempted I was. For the first month or two, I had to use dry shampoo on day 2 and tie it up on day 3. After a while, I could get away with not using dry shampoo on day 2 and just using it on day 3. Now my hair doesn't get greasy until day 3, when a quick spray of dry shampoo does the job and I can wear it down if I like.

I thought about trying to get a fourth day out of it, but honestly, grease aside, hair picks up all kind of dirt and I think it starts to get a bit gross to leave it longer than 3 days. It's hard to stick to at the start but it's worth it :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's get so greasy because it's used to being washed every day. You could fry an egg on my head for the first month but it's better now. Still very brittle but I'll give shampoo a go and see if it does anything.

Ok I'm so buying this shampoo at the weekend to try it out!!

Don't want to drag this thread off topic any more so have started a new thread on washing hair too much. I'm starting this next week too (need to before all y hair falls out) so any advice is most welcome in that thread too!!

Hopefully we'll all be posting back here in a couple of months with perfect hair that no longer falls out!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Ok I'm so buying this shampoo at the weekend to try it out!!

Don't want to drag this thread off topic any more so have started a new thread on washing hair too much. I'm starting this next week too (need to before all y hair falls out) so any advice is most welcome in that thread too!!

Hopefully we'll all be posting back here in a couple of months with perfect hair that no longer falls out!!! :D:D

If you're a woman and your hair is falling out like you say it is then I'd be going to a Doctor.

I went to a Doc re. my hair, and he found my iron levels a bit low, which can result in hairloss. It is a very common problem, so it seems.
    And yes, I find over-washing my hair too often makes it greasier. Nothing worse! My hair is very thin and fine. Always has been.

Advertisement