Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about self-financing Open University courses

Options
  • 26-05-2013 6:03pm
    Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone knows if I'm able to claim any money back for modules that I've paid for myself with the Open University. I'm almost finished my third module and have begun to check out if I can get any of the money back.

I've contacted the revenue offices but still haven't received a reply and anywhere else I've tried don't seem to know.

so does anyone know? I don't even know if such a thing exists yet never mind the fine print of what's available to who.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

So long as its 3td level, as part of a degree,then yrs you can claim relief st the lower rate

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Its fairly paltry due to the large amount required to be spent before you can claim a penny; and it goes on academic years rather than tax years for some odd reason. Ask the Dublin office for a letter and they'll send you one confirming what you spent. You convert the Sterling to Euro using central bank rates as far as I know, rather than whatever your bank/credit card company charged you.

Applied for mine for 11/12 last week, not arrived yet.

Seems to be a 3-4 week turnaround on these now, have confirmation on PAYE Anytime that it was received on the 17th so hopefully they'll let me know what the story is soon enough...

Status changed on PAYE Anytime to "completed" on Friday last week, money had arrived in account this morning. Not a word in the post about it or any queries and its the exact amount I was expecting

Just sent them the IT31 form, a photocopy of the letter from the OU Dublin office and a page converting the amounts to sterling at the Central Bank annual average rates for those years: http://www.centralbank.ie/polstats/stats/exrates/Pages/default.aspx

Pity I won't have anywhere near as much for next year - only got one 60 credit and one conversion module (£255) in compared to £120 last year. Albeit clearly that means I've had to spend less too...

Advertisement