Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong fuel, how to drain tank

• 26-05-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys looking for some help, nephew put petrol in a 2000 diesel vectra. Lucky enough he noticed what he had just done and did not start the engine. We towed it home and tried syphoning fuel out but to no avail, there seems to be some sort of anti-syphoning device on the tank. Any ideas on how to drain the tank? Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

superhooop wrote: »
    Hi guys looking for some help, nephew put petrol in a 2000 diesel vectra. Lucky enough he noticed what he had just done and did not start the engine. We towed it home and tried syphoning fuel out but to no avail, there seems to be some sort of anti-syphoning device on the tank. Any ideas on how to drain the tank? Thanks in advance lads.

How much petril and is it a DI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Also, how much diesel in it? You need to find the ratio of how much petrol in with diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Insurance companies usually sometimes cover mis-fueling for free, ring your broker and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I've anecdotally heard that you can run a diesel car on a 50:50 mix of diesel to petrol, supposedly it gives you a fair whack of speed. I'd imagine it couldn't be good for the engine.

Not good for the pump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

dgt wrote: »
    Not good for the pump
    Isn't the fuel tank the same as the vectra you had? Can it be accessed from under the passanger seats?

barura wrote: »
    Isn't the fuel tank the same as the vectra you had? Can it be accessed from under the passanger seats?

Should be..... Was thinking of he diesel pump itself hough, petrol isn't good for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superhooop

There was roughly 10 litres of diesel left in the tank and 20 litres of petrol put in. Ideally would really like to empty tank to make sure minimum damage done. Someone mentioned under the rear seat to me, is it a big job or is it handy enough to do. Don't want to mess around to much, will get the experts in if its to much hassle.

superhooop wrote: »
    There was roughly 10 litres of diesel left in the tank and 20 litres of petrol put in. Ideally would really like to empty tank to make sure minimum damage done. Someone mentioned under the rear seat to me, is it a big job or is it handy enough to do. Don't want to mess around to much, will get the experts in if its to much hassle.

Messy job, been there done that

What engine???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What's the capacity of the tank? If its big enough you might get away with watering it down with the correct fuel. Get someone else to confirm first though...

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    What's the capacity of the tank? If its big enough you might get away with watering it down with the correct fuel. Get someone else to confirm first though...

IIRC around 60 litres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

TheChizler wrote: »

Need to know what engine is in it to know if you'll get away with just topping it off with diesel and a litre of veg oil or whatever your brew is.

20 litres is alot of petrol though regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superhooop

Sorry its a 2litretdi afaik.

EDIT..Sorry its a 1,8di i just rang him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just did this myself in a 01' 1.7dti Astra.

Probably only a gallon (if that) of diesel left and I put in €20 (12.5 lt.) of petrol. Haven't started the car. Insurance company don't cover incorrect fuel. Any suggestions?
    Think there's only a 50 litre tank, so if I brimmed it with diesel, the mixture would be 4:1. Too dangerous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Soarer wrote: »
    Just did this myself in a 01' 1.7dti Astra.

Probably only a gallon (if that) of diesel left and I put in €20 (12.5 lt.) of petrol. Haven't started the car. Insurance company don't cover incorrect fuel. Any suggestions?
    Think there's only a 50 litre tank, so if I brimmed it with diesel, the mixture would be 4:1. Too dangerous?

10:1 would do no harm at all really.
    If I had to chance it at 4:! I'd throw in a litre of rape seed oil for lube, the usual ratio of dipetane and brim it with diesel and leave it settle, and brim it again. Do that a few times. Then keep filling it up with diesel every day for a week or so.

To bookend this...

Couldn't get a hose down the filler, so ended up lifting the backseat and getting at the fuel pump. Lifting that slightly gave me enough room to get the hose into the tank, and after a mouthful of petrol, she flowed away nicely until empty.
    Put everything back the way I found it, brimmed her with diesel and after a 20 mile spin, there's not been a peep.

Have 3 gallons of petrol that I don't know what to do with now though. Would it be ok to use in the other car? There's probably a litre of diesel, if that, mixed into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

in the mower perhaps?

Wossack wrote: »
    in the mower perhaps?

Was thinking the same. It'll take a while to get through 3 gallons though! :o

If I chucked it in the Prius ,brimmed the tank at the pump and added some Diptene, would that water it down enough? Or is any tiny bit of diesel bad for a petrol car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im not sure (ie, dont blame me if yer car explodes - and perhaps modern cars a touch less forgiving), but small bit of diesel will just make it run a bit poorly, and with a bit of a smokey exhaust

Wossack wrote: »
    Im not sure (ie, dont blame me if yer car explodes - and perhaps modern cars a touch less forgiving), but small bit of diesel will just make it run a bit poorly, and with a bit of a smokey exhaust

Lawnmower it is then! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Filled the car full of petrol today from near empty.......unfortunately its a diesel. Had to get it pumped out which cost e190. Then filled it full of diesel. Today's fuel up cost me 6 times what it should have done (300 vs 50) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Did you not try the water to wine trick? Same principle surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Misfuelling is an easy mistake to make. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Old thread lock though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement