Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we sell ourselves better

Options
  • 26-05-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Regarding tourist spots there is no where better than county Waterford yet I believe we fail ourselves with promotion of our lovely county. Even Ireland itself seems to forget Waterford. I have often heard reports on papers of going from cork to Wexford without a mention of Waterford. The county is so beautiful. What can we do as Deise Lovers to promote it more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Waterford is a gem alright but often overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A start would be a bit more recognition by tourism bodies - regional and national. I'm in the process of doing a couple of bits and pieces to promote Waterford and our region on top of what I have done already but trying to get other tourism bodies on board was like talking to a wall. Only one response from the region (excluding Waterford) tourism bodies and they weren't in favour of doing anything extra. I only got a response because I send a second email following up on the first which went unanswered.

The other problem appears to lie with businesses not working together to give better value and help each other out. Its improving ever so slightly, but we all need to pull together and work together.

I visited the Rock of Cashel recently and was surprised that Waterford was left out when the tour guide was mentioning historic buildings, roundtowers and the like, that you could visit in Ireland. Waterford was never once mentioned.

I'm frequently pitching Waterford as a destination you can stay for at least three days and discover what it has to offer - a lot in the City, a lot in the County and a lot throughout the Region. 99% of the visitors I speak with didn't know half the stuff I told them about, and would have stayed longer only they had planned their itinerary in advance and couldn't change it. One couple said to me recently that they didn't see what all the fuss was about in Killarney & Kerry because what our coastline has on offer was just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

Sully wrote: »
    A start would be a bit more recognition by tourism bodies - regional and national. I'm in the process of doing a couple of bits and pieces to promote Waterford and our region on top of what I have done already but trying to get other tourism bodies on board was like talking to a wall. Only one response from the region (excluding Waterford) tourism bodies and they weren't in favour of doing anything extra. I only got a response because I send a second email following up on the first which went unanswered.

The other problem appears to lie with businesses not working together to give better value and help each other out. Its improving ever so slightly, but we all need to pull together and work together.

I visited the Rock of Cashel recently and was surprised that Waterford was left out when the tour guide was mentioning historic buildings, roundtowers and the like, that you could visit in Ireland. Waterford was never once mentioned.

I'm frequently pitching Waterford as a destination you can stay for at least three days and discover what it has to offer - a lot in the City, a lot in the County and a lot throughout the Region. 99% of the visitors I speak with didn't know half the stuff I told them about, and would have stayed longer only they had planned their itinerary in advance and couldn't change it. One couple said to me recently that they didn't see what all the fuss was about in Killarney & Kerry because what our coastline has on offer was just as good.

Hi Sully
    I have got similar comments about Waterford versus Kerry. I know a friend who manages the paddy wagon tours and is trying to get into Waterford market also to offer day trips to Waterford city and county. They do trips to Cobh and Middleton so would love to extend these by add on to Lismore dungarvan coast road dromina etc. etc

Advertisement