Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT Cut-off scores 2013 prediction

Options
  • 26-05-2013 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey new to boards hope you guys can help because the CAO aren't giving me anything. From looking at the CAO the cut off points (round 0) for GEM in Ireland have been steadily declining over the last three years(2010-2012).

UCC:
    60-57-56

UCD:
    61-59-57

UL:
    57-54-54

RCSI:
    64-60-59

is there a reason for this declining trend?

I have a score of 59 (which I am delighted with) as UCD or RCSI have always been my first choice. However, my sister has a score of 53, she did the Gamsat in final year and it was the best she could manage. does she still have a chance at GEM in Ireland in 2013? if the points continue this trend then its looking like round 0 could possibly be: UCC 55-54, UCD 56-55, UL 53, RCSI, 58-57. I know this is just all speculation.

Would it be recommended she re-sit the exam or is there some way of determining the cut off points? Could they go up? Any help would be great :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

At the RCSI open day last year, the Admissions Officer indicated that the Med Schools would be looking at the cut off points as they felt that they were declining too fast i.e. that they might be considering an absolute cut off for GEM in the future...

The declining trend might be linked to the fact that calculators are no longer allowed during GAMSAT (honestly, some of those S3 questions were just not possible without one in the timeframe!); might also be linked with the number of people sitting the exam.

If your sister has a lot of flexibility and isn't dead set on entry this year, then why not apply and if she doesn't get an offer, she can re-sit in London in September and again, if needs be, in March next year? I've heard rumours that some people got offers with scores below the cut off last year due to people being unable to secure financing and thus unable to take up their places; this might just be chinese whispers though...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

diverboy83 wrote: »
    At the RCSI open day last year, the Admissions Officer indicated that the Med Schools would be looking at the cut off points as they felt that they were declining too fast i.e. that they might be considering an absolute cut off for GEM in the future...
    Of course, they could always implement the trial and trusted method employed by universities across the land, which involves reviewing the number of a applicants for each course (once CAO collates this information) and adjusting the number of places on individual courses until the right balance of points/fees is achieved! I can't see this happening for GEM, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 John432

I actually rang each of the 4 universities last week. Both UCD and UL informed me that the demand has increased slightly this year and so were expecting the gamsat cut offs to increase. However both UC and RCSI informed me that as far as they knew the number of applicants has decreased slightly and so were consequently expecting the cut offs to largely remain the unchanged if not decrease even futher. If anyone knows or has even heard anything a little more concrete it would be much appreciated! At the moment my gamsat score is enough for UL and just scrapes the UC cut off so im a little on edge and absolutely praying the cut offs dont increase by 2 or 3 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 surfandturf2

The financial burden meant many people this year had to drop out of UL GEMS in the first few weeks. This year was the first year that many more non-irish EU students have been taking up places. I still don't think the points would increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Elsa Hayes

John432 wrote: »
    I actually rang each of the 4 universities last week. Both UCD and UL informed me that the demand has increased slightly this year and so were expecting the gamsat cut offs to increase. However both UC and RCSI informed me that as far as they knew the number of applicants has decreased slightly and so were consequently expecting the cut offs to largely remain the unchanged if not decrease even futher. If anyone knows or has even heard anything a little more concrete it would be much appreciated! At the moment my gamsat score is enough for UL and just scrapes the UC cut off so im a little on edge and absolutely praying the cut offs dont increase by 2 or 3 points!

This is correct: CAO said number was >700, this year. I could not tease out exact no. from Mr. Gleeson, though he did say no. of applicants for GEM was up (personally i'd think 720'ish by the sound of things). This he said was mainly due to international and uk students - however he did say this no. may decrease with people getting 2:2's and not 2:1's subsequesnt to May exams.
    Also UCC & RSCI are correct in the when they say no. of applicants for Medicine is down -> that is the no. of Undergraduate applicants. This too was confirmed by the Indo. and CAO head office. Hope this can shed some light on the above questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

Its really hard to know what they will be. I already know of 3 people who applied to all college's, of which 2 did not receive a sufficient grade from their degree and one with an insufficient GAMSAT score, it is impossible to tell how scores will go and how many applicants will be considered. 53 is in the same percentile as last year so that is a good sign.

I emailed UL and they said last years cut off was 53, I am not sure if everyone with a score of 53 were offered a place or not, but i have read that scores as low as 50 and 51 got into UL last year.

Best thing to do is wait and chance being accepted, if not GAMSAT next march will give more than enough time to prepare and do well

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dreamer4

Its really hard to know what they will be. I already know of 3 people who applied to all college's, of which 2 did not receive a sufficient grade from their degree and one with an insufficient GAMSAT score, it is impossible to tell how scores will go and how many applicants will be considered. 53 is in the same percentile as last year so that is a good sign.

I emailed UL and they said last years cut off was 53, I am not sure if everyone with a score of 53 were offered a place or not, but i have read that scores as low as 50 and 51 got into UL last year.

Best thing to do is wait and chance being accepted, if not GAMSAT next march will give more than enough time to prepare and do well

Wonder what round 1 offers will be this year? Apparently there is a slight increase for UL this year, I'm getting worried.....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

Dreamer4 wrote: »
    Wonder what round 1 offers will be this year? Apparently there is a slight increase for UL this year, I'm getting worried.....

where are u getting that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dreamer4

where are u getting that from?

Somebody wrote in "gamsat 2013" discussion on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thomasdavis

Can anyone confirm what date the GEM offers go out? Im also curious why they dont go out with or shortly after the GAMSAT results go out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

Usually first week of August, based on previous years. CAO has to wait until all the final year exam results are in before they can make any offers. CAO change of mind deadline is also 1 July, so they couldn't make any offers before then in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thomasdavis

diverboy83 wrote: »
    CAO has to wait until all the final year exam results are in before they can make any offers. CAO change of mind deadline is also 1 July, so they couldn't make any offers before then in any event.
    Makes sense now! Im an elder entrant and hadnt considered that some people are only finishing up their primary degrees.

Advertisement