Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barking to a man?

• 26-05-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody!
    Nothing serious happened but I am wondering why...
    Today I've been with Jago to "bark in the park".
    A lot of dogs, good fun for him.
    Then running and playing free with his friends, saying hello to many people, children etc etc.

We sat down in the park on the grass, keeping him on leash, people came to say hello and he was always crazy happy ... I just said he is very friendly...
    that an elderly man approach us..
    He was walking very slowly doing his exercises of walks I suppose, bit unsure, he just pass behind us and jago stand up and bark at him "aggressive"!!!!
    The poor man got scared!! And even said sorry to me... aurgh I was feeling so guilty that Jago scared him!!!

Ok he was on the lead so no problems at all, I said no to jago... but I am wondering why????
    He has always been nice to everyone!! He is used to strangers, people, children, other dogs.. I am sorry to say that he just doesn't really like the african girls living next door... he is "scared" :S
    Anyway... why he reacted like that?
    Maybe because this man was walking in a "non" normal way?
    Which should be my reaction?
    I said no to him, firmly, but not sure how much he understood :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

jsabina wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

Anyway... why he reacted like that?
    Maybe because this man was walking in a "non" normal way?
    Which should be my reaction?
    I said no to him, firmly, but not sure how much he understood :rolleyes:

That's it! Anything outside the range of what's normal to him may cause a reaction like this. So, whilst you've worked hard getting him used to all sorts of people, perhaps elderly people have not featured enough? They do walk differently, may carry a stick, and often dress differently too.
    So, I would fill my pockets with treats and any toys he likes, and I'd head out to the nearest old folks' home, clinic or hospital, and sit quietly somewhere where elderly people walk past, but giving Jago enough space too.
    Every time an elderly person comes on the scene, treats land in Jago's mouth! It won't take long before he changes his attitude towards elderly people! Try not to scold him, as this might confirm to him that he has something to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

DBB wrote: »
    That's it! Anything outside the range of what's normal to him may cause a reaction like this. So, whilst you've worked hard getting him used to all sorts of people, perhaps elderly people have not featured enough? They do walk differently, may carry a stick, and often dress differently too.
    So, I would fill my pockets with treats and any toys he likes, and I'd head out to the nearest old folks' home, clinic or hospital, and sit quietly somewhere where elderly people walk past, but giving Jago enough space too.
    Every time an elderly person comes on the scene, treats land in Jago's mouth! It won't take long before he changes his attitude towards elderly people! Try not to scold him, as this might confirm to him that he has something to worry about.

Thanks I will try to find a place where there are elderly people and do that!
    I have said no firmly than I've stopped because I thought a big reaction from me would not be useful... I am for the positive approach :P
    So I like your idea!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I'm not saying this as a joke but a good place for your dog to meet old people is near a church after mass time.

Advertisement