Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good assault squad for close combat fighting

• 26-05-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm wondering if any of you guys could help out.
    I play an imperial guard army which suck at assaulting and close combat. So I need an assault squad for close combat.
    I am torn between 2 units that i feel could work, the first is a space marine assault squad and the second is terminators with storm shields and thunder hammers or lighting claws I have not decided yet.
    What do you guys think would be better? And what other options do I have as a assault squad/ CC squad.
    Thank you.
    Y
    NK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

I opted for grey knights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield is a very solid choice I think, although if your Grey Knights can take storm shields, then go ahead with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How about none of the above? Terminators are to expensive and deal to little damage and SM Assault marines are not doing enough damage.

For starters you're IG so you do NOT want to engage in close combat as you have one of the shootiest armies in the game and if you hold up troops in close combat you can't shot them. Instead I'd go for sending in a squad to die and blow 'em up next round but if you're insisting on going assault then do it with a IG blob (Sargs with power weapon, one or two IG characters) lead by a suitable character (DA Azazel (sp) comes to mind) or with Chaos (and you get a lovely flier for free).

Thanks for the advice guys.
    The reason i picked GK was to fill in an area that is weak in the IG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

As long as you're happy with it mate, that's all that counts. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I guess the thread is dead but what about the Ogryns option for IG?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I guess the thread is dead but what about the Ogryns option for IG?
    They can't deal enough damage for their cost; an platoon with Power Weapon Sarges with a Commissar (outside allies such as Chaos etc.) blobed is the best bet. Cover a lot of ground and will not go anywhere any time soon.

Orygns suck in my opinion to expensive and look like vomit.
    I got Grey knights with teleporters, an ininerator, storm bolters and falcons, these should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

My two cents - combined squads and as many flamers as you can take (for whatever platoon you don't have trundling around in Chimera or flying in Valkeries) will at least make your opponents think twice about assaulting.

I'm currently assembling my guard army and planning to take blood angels death company for trickier close combat. As they're a troop choice, I can simply take them and a librarian and that's my allied detachment done.

geeky wrote: »
    I'm currently assembling my guard army and planning to take blood angels death company for trickier close combat. As they're a troop choice, I can simply take them and a librarian and that's my allied detachment done.
    I dont' know; a Chaos melee lord on a dog with a retinue of followers along with a bale flamer can make most things cry and you can add a few other smallish but fast melee multiwound units to give your opponent target priority issues (besides a Helldrake tends to make people have a fit trying to kill it for the theoretical damage it can do if not killed giving the rest of your mech a free run for a turn or two).

• Advertisement
Advertisement