Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old labrador pup dropped dead

• 26-05-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Today my gorgeous, loving, kind, 8 month old labrador dropped dead. He was a pure bread, IKC registered and we had got him last December, aged 10 weeks. He was at the vet less than two weeks ago and I was told he is a healthy weight and showed no health concerns at all.
    This morning he died in his sleep. I am thankful i had the pleasure of having such a loving dog for the time we had him and that his death was not violent and he was not in pain.
    We will be taking him to be cremated tomorrow. However I can't help questioning what happened. There were no sounds out of him when he passed as he was asleep on the foot of my mothers bed when he passed.
    I have been reading and I feel his death was due to sudden death syndrome which only accounts for 0.2% of all lab deaths according to data by the kennel club. We don't want to have an autopsy as everyone ion the family is extremely upset and have spent the whole day crying.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OMG!! I've heard of this, but don't know of anyone this has happened to. I am so very sorry for your loss. It must've been a dreadful shock....:(

For his short life he was loved and cherished, and gave you so much joy. Please hold on to that thought.

Run free, little man. RIP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭skaface

sorry to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

I am so sorry to hear about your Labrador. The same thing happened to a dog of mine but he was a collie cross. He just passed away in his sleep at 6 months.
    I'm sorry I can't help more but I know what you're going through

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Thanks got the support. Everyone at home feeling so lost without him. About to drive him down to pets to rest in castle island, co. Kerry. Long tough drive ahead.

Here's a few pics of our Oscar, my best friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

God thats awful. So sorry to hear this.

He was a beautiful dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

So, so sad to read this OP. What a shock! I'm sitting here in shock myself. I had no idea that could happen to dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Oh you poor thing, that's a horrible thing to happen to you and your family. He was a beautiful dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

That's so sad, sorry to hear! Unfortunately without an autopsy there is no way of knowing what happened, as far as I know UCD does them for free but as this is not something that you want to do I suppose all can be done is speculate. So sad when such a young dog goes so suddenly, at least he didn't suffer. RIP Oscar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

How horrific. I'm So sorry. At least he had a wonderful happy joyful life & went at the feet of someone he knew loved him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Beautiful looking dog who's life has been cut short. Sorry for your loss OP. I also had my dog cremated also. I had his ashes incorporated into a framed picture of him so that he is always with me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

He was beautiful.
    So sorry to hear.
    I never like to hear of anything bad to an animal, but it always happens to the good owners eg digs die , cats go missing RIP Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

so sorry to hear this, such a beautiful dog. x Em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm so sorry, Oscar had a lovely kind look about him. Your house will feel empty without him. Give your mum a big cuddle, she needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

He was a handsome Doggy! Really sorry for your loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Dreadful experience for you and your family. He was a beauty. Console yourself that he died in his sleep and knew no pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Awww he's so beautiful - so sorry to hear what happened xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

very sorry to hear your lost your friend so soon.

May I suggest that you contact the breeder, if possible, to let them know. It may be a genetic problem and the breeder could inform other owners of pups from the litter and so give them an opportunity to get them check out by the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Inexile wrote: »
    very sorry to hear your lost your friend so soon.

May I suggest that you contact the breeder, if possible, to let them know. It may be a genetic problem and the breeder could inform other owners of pups from the litter and so give them an opportunity to get them check out by the vet.

Thanks everyone. Already been in contact with breeder to warn other families. She is on holidays so I will call her again when she's back in the country.

Here's just a quick video of him at his happiest when we got the heavy snow in march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RIP Oscar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

So very sorry to hear this :(, what an awful thing to wake up to :(.

I commend you for thinking of getting in touch with the breeder so quickly, especially during your time of grief.

All my thoughts with you and yours.

Run free little Oscar :(

Advertisement