Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtuix Omni - no more unhealthy gamers

• 27-05-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

The commercial Rift isnt even out yet but this Virtuix Omni device is already taking it to another level:

This will be hitting Kickstarter on June 4th and hopefully hitting our oversized geek bellies soon after.

At the moment it uses the kinect to track leg movement (the thing you walk on isnt a sensor) and aiming is done by moving your head (the gun is just a glorified fire button). If the kickstarter version integrates these into one system then I'll be buying one and an Oculus Rift

Also, competiton to win one here: http://www.virtuix.com/contest/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

came to mind

virtboy1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Cant wait till they start releasing things like this for Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

SeantheMan wrote: »
    came to mind

virtboy1.jpg

lol, the Oculus Rift is a huge step up from the failed Virtual Boy but funnily enough, one of the first releases for the Oculus Rift development kit was a Virtual Boy emulator. If I get a rift, that'll be one of the things that I'll be trying as I wanted a VB when I was younger even if the reviews were poor, I still wanted one.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Cant wait till they start releasing things like this for Fifa.

I think intially that the games will have to be designed around the limitations of the devices. Simple things like not being able to lean forward to get a closer look at a desk in a virtual world reduces the immersion for the Oculus Rift (games where you sit in a cockpit are perfect though) and with the Omni above, you wont be able to jump to head a ball or even crouch so I'm sure that there will be a football type game but it wont be FIFA just yet.

It wont just be for games either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

lol, the Oculus Rift is a huge step up from the failed Virtual Boy but funnily enough, one of the first releases for the Oculus Rift development kit was a Virtual Boy emulator. If I get a rift, that'll be one of the things that I'll be trying as I wanted a VB when I was younger even if the reviews were poor, I still wanted one.

You're in for a treat, got a VB recently and despite there being so few games on it most of them are surprisingly great and the 3D effect is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

So combining my running on a thread mil with a weapon...There could be a whole fitness industry built on this alone lol.
    I'd love to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'll stick to playing games sitting down // running around with a ball outside I think...

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's the answer to my slightly overweight problem!

On a serious note, this is definitely a step towards the future of gaming that i imagined, where you're physically part of the game. Granted, it's not up to the "Gamer" film level, but it's a step!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's the answer to my slightly overweight problem!

On a serious note, this is definitely a step towards the future of gaming that i imagined, where you're physically part of the game. Granted, it's not up to the "Gamer" film level, but it's a step!

That's what they expected with the Wii, but it's caused it's own specific type of shoulder injury and destroyed a lot of TVs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

l
    I think intially that the games will have to be designed around the limitations of the devices. Simple things like not being able to lean forward to get a closer look at a desk in a virtual world reduces the immersion for the Oculus Rift (games where you sit in a cockpit are perfect though) and with the Omni above, you wont be able to jump to head a ball or even crouch so I'm sure that there will be a football type game but it wont be FIFA just yet.

It wont just be for games either.
    Nah man I was kidding. There already exists one of these for all sports games :pac: the actual sport. I'd love one of these but couldnt see myself buying it in anything similar to its current form. The Valve one they talk about with separate sensors for gun and vision. Now theres a system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Doesn't look like it'll work with my 3Dtv. Or my kinect. Or my playstation move. Or all of the other useless peripherals I bought to revolutionise my gaming experience. Oh no wait, that's right, I don't own any of these gimmicky, substandard devices that never function as advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Nah man I was kidding. There already exists one of these for all sports games :pac: the actual sport. I'd love one of these but couldnt see myself buying it in anything similar to its current form. The Valve one they talk about with separate sensors for gun and vision. Now theres a system.
    haha, true enough, you cant substitute it for the real thing i guess but as someone else stated earlier, I reckon it could be a good way to make exercise more interesting. This is still a prototype but it's certainly got me interested anyway.
    Doesn't look like it'll work with my 3Dtv. Or my kinect. Or my playstation move. Or all of the other useless peripherals I bought to revolutionise my gaming experience. Oh no wait, that's right, I don't own any of these gimmicky, substandard devices that never function as advertised.
    You're right to be cautious and those devices never appealled to me either but every review of the Oculus Rift has been extremely positive so far and I reckon this Omni could complement it very well so I'm going to start saving up for them.

It's a noisey bloody thing though isnt it?

Advertisement