Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance & Registration

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I just bought my new car from a dealer last week, ('04 vw Golf). The dealership has guaranteed it through the NCT so its going through that this week, so hopefully by the start of next week I can collect it.. (the car is perfect, will sail through the NCT)

My Question is, how do I sort out getting the car registered in my name before I actually go to the dealership to pay the car off and collect it... as I'm aware I need to have the car in my name before I can be insured to drive it right?

Is it possible to get the garage to be changing it over to my name before the time comes for me to pick it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

You can insure yourself on whatever car you like as long as you enough details about it. Insurance companies aren't fussy about taking money off you. You could insure yourself on my car if you knew enough about it.

Be aware though that they don't pay out for anything in the first two week so I personally don't bother. Up to yourself. I normally just drive it home and then take my time getting the best deal I can. If a broker realises your in a rush to insure something they will give you their top price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Be aware though that they don't pay out for anything in the first two week so I personally don't bother. Up to yourself.

:confused::confused::confused:

A cooling off period on a new policy. Don't know if it's standard but it's the last few I got.

A cooling off period on a new policy. Don't know if it's standard but it's the last few I got.

I'm not sure what are you trying to say...
    That you are not covered for the first two weeks of the policy?

CiniO wrote: »
    I'm not sure what are you trying to say...
    That you are not covered for the first two weeks of the policy?

I was sure I read it somewhere in the small print but can't find it now. Must have confused it with something else.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

Thanks for the responses guys... @Ronnie Beck wish it was just that simple to just drive it back home.. the garage is out in Slane and I live in Dublin... Dn't really want to do that journey uninsured...

I was sure I read it somewhere in the small print but can't find it now. Must have confused it with something else.:)

TBH that would be completely mad idea.
    That's why you buy insurance to be insured from the first minute of your policy.

I just bought my new car from a dealer last week, ('04 vw Golf). The dealership has guaranteed it through the NCT so its going through that this week, so hopefully by the start of next week I can collect it.. (the car is perfect, will sail through the NCT)

My Question is, how do I sort out getting the car registered in my name before I actually go to the dealership to pay the car off and collect it... as I'm aware I need to have the car in my name before I can be insured to drive it right?

Is it possible to get the garage to be changing it over to my name before the time comes for me to pick it up?

OP from the moment you sign the "change of ownership" part, you are registered owner of the vehicle.

Obviously to complete paperwork it might take few days or weeks, but you are registered owner from the moment you sign it. And date on which you sign it, will be indicated on your VRC once you obtain it, as a date of sale.

No need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can insure yourself on whatever car you like as long as you enough details about it. Insurance companies aren't fussy about taking money off you. You could insure yourself on my car if you knew enough about it.

Be aware though that they don't pay out for anything in the first two week so I personally don't bother. Up to yourself. I normally just drive it home and then take my time getting the best deal I can. If a broker realises your in a rush to insure something they will give you their top price.

You can't insure yourself on whatever you like. You must have an insurable interest in the car, ie, you must be the registered owner. I'm sure if you tried they would take your money, but we're you to make a claim the second they discover it's not your car they would simply refuse to pay out.

Also this cooling off period you mention means that the customer is able to cancel the policy in the first two weeks without charge. It has nothing to do with the insurer and certainly does not mean that you are not covered during this period.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you bought the car you can insure it there and then and the cover is immediate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

djimi wrote: »
    You can't insure yourself on whatever you like. You must have an insurable interest in the car, ie, you must be the registered owner. I'm sure if you tried they would take your money, but we're you to make a claim the second they discover it's not your car they would simply refuse to pay out.

Also this cooling off period you mention means that the customer is able to cancel the policy in the first two weeks without charge. It has nothing to do with the insurer and certainly does not mean that you are not covered during this period.

I've always had a gripe about insurable interest & motor insurance, surely the legal requirement to have motor insurance on a vehicle being used on public roads counts as insurable interest, although fully comp wouldn't fall under this, as its not your 'loss' if the vehicle were to be damaged through the usual fully comp avenues.

I mean, If you were to borrow a car, you must be able to insure it, for third party, so there is insurable interest there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Total nonsense, please ignore OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you are already insured and swapping your policy to the new car, your dealer will phone your insurance company for you to swap your cover to the new car.

If you have any concerns, speak to your insurance compnay/broker who will put your mind at rest that you are covered on your new car from the second you buy it, rather than having to wait until you get the taxbook

djimi wrote: »
    You can't insure yourself on whatever you like. You must have an insurable interest in the car, ie, you must be the registered owner. .

While insurable interest makes perfect sense for fire, theft, own car damage, windscreen, etc.. type of cover.

But what difference does it make for third party cover?

Insurer covers only damage to third parties caused by you. In theory it completely doesn't matter who is the owner of the car driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

While insurable interest makes perfect sense for fire, theft, own car damage, windscreen, etc.. type of cover.

But what difference does it make for third party cover?

Insurer covers only damage to third parties caused by you. In theory it completely doesn't matter who is the owner of the car driven.

I agree with you; doesnt make a lot of sense. Probably easier for them just to follow the guideline of not issuing any policy on a vehicle to someone who is not the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

OP from the moment you sign the "change of ownership" part, you are registered owner of the vehicle.

Obviously to complete paperwork it might take few days or weeks, but you are registered owner from the moment you sign it. And date on which you sign it, will be indicated on your VRC once you obtain it, as a date of sale.

No need to worry about.
    That's not exactly true. You do not become the registered owner the "moment" the logbook is signed. The logbook must be posted off and processed and a new logbook issued before you become the registered owner.

Of course once the information on the logbook is processed the ownership will be backdated to the date written on the logbook but saying that you are the registered owner straight after the logbook is signed is incorrect.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That's not exactly true. You do not become the registered owner the "moment" the logbook is signed. The logbook must be posted off and processed and a new logbook issued before you become the registered owner.

Of course once the information on the logbook is processed the ownership will be backdated to the date written on the logbook but saying that you are the registered owner straight after the logbook is signed is incorrect.

This doesn't make sense.

Say car changed ownership from Mr X to Mr Y today morning. They signed the form.
    So you are saying that at the moment (today evening) registered owner of the car is still Mr X, while say in two weeks correct answer to the question "who was the registered owner on 27th May evening" will be Mr. Y.

Completely doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

This doesn't make sense.

Say car changed ownership from Mr X to Mr Y today morning. They signed the form.
    So you are saying that at the moment (today evening) registered owner of the car is still Mr X, while say in two weeks correct answer to the question "who was the registered owner on 27th May evening" will be Mr. Y.

Completely doesn't make sense.
    No I what I am saying is until the documentation has reached the department of transport and is processed Mr X is still technically the registered owner even if the log book is signed there and then.

For instance if Mr Y is caught speeding on the way home by a speed camera and for some reason the log book doesn't reach Shannon then Mr X the registered owner will get the fine and points. Just because Mr Y signed the log book doesn't make him the registered owner straight away until the department of transport know about the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    No I what I am saying is until the documentation has reached the department of transport and is processed Mr X is still technically the registered owner even if the log book is signed there and then.

For instance if Mr Y is caught speeding on the way home by a speed camera and for some reason the log book doesn't reach Shannon then Mr X the registered owner will get the fine and points. Just because Mr Y signed the log book doesn't make him the registered owner straight away until the department of transport know about the sale.

Mr X will give them a call and let them know that he is not longer registered owner. Mr Y will get the ticket. All transfers of ownership are backdated. It doesn't take long for Shannon to process the change - it is important to put the right date on the logbook and everyone's interest is covered. Some of you are overthinking this.
    As far as Insurance Company is concerned you declared you are registered owner of the vehicle because you signed transfer of ownership. To the best of your knowledge you are the owner, and if things go wrong you can easily prove this by showing them logbook with date stamped on it.

Advertisement