Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tank thread

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have just bought a new tank and wanted to share some pics.
    I gave up smoking at christmas so this was my present to myself :p
    It is a Aqua One Reef 400 which I bought from the lads in Seahorse Aquariums near red cow.

Bought the tank 4 weeks ago, and it came with a aqua one skimmer (which is crap so I just bought a deltec skimmer today), heaters, sump and return pump.
    I bought 50KG of live rock and 30KG of coral and live sand.

Let it cycle for 3 weeks also with 6kg of rock from my other marine tank in the sump. Got very little spikes which worried me as I was testing every 2-3 days.
    I put in dwarf shrimp and BOOM the cycle started so I was delighted. Ammonia went off the charts but only for 2 days then nitrite and finally, both very zero. Nitrate went down to 2-3ppm so added 15 hermit crabs and 12 snails (mexican and algae).

Added 2 Hydor 5600lph wavemakers with controller and aqua ray LEDs.
    I have pics the whole way through the build which I will upload in the next few days but am delighted with the progress.
    The rock work took a long time, as I used PVC rods from B&Q and drilled through the live rock to stack them and used coral glue.

Cant thank the guys in Seahorse enough. Keelin, John, Daniel... Amazing lads and seriously good advice.

Today I added the first batch of fish, some from my nano and some new

Common Clown
    3 Chromis
    Sailfin tang
    Regal tang
    Firefish
    2 blue devils
    fire shrimp
    boxer shrimp

Im really happy with the turn out and had help from a mate but really looking forward to adding coral but I want to let it mature a bit. The rock had zena, waving hand and mushroom corals on it already and all doing great so that is a good sign.

Pics to follow!

Advertisement