Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gathering on Gerald Griffin Street

• 27-05-2013 1:30am

I'm looking for a few board games like Axis & Allies and Risk. Was looking on Amazon and then remembered this shop. The problem is the only other time I was in there, around 2006, it put me off ever going in there again.

Are they still as, ahem, "off-beat" as usual in there? They do seem to have some good stock but it's hard to browse in there unmolested IIRC.

Also sometimes I'd be walking home late at night around 2-3am and I get the fright of my life when I pass it and they are all in there doing God knows what! :D

I'd love a good look around the shop but it's quite small and I fear that I'll probably find myself alone in there with them...what a shame.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I used to buy a lot modelling materials there years ago when they had a very friendly guy working there (I can’t remember his name), it wasn’t the same after he left. I never really felt welcome, more like I has being watched because I was about to rob the place or some kind of inconvenience to be gotten rid of. Shame really because they did have a nice range of stuff, I haven’t been back there in about 4 years now.

Yeah that's what I felt as well, that I was under surveillance. In fact I think the guy who was in there just stood and stared at me. Unnerving.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I used to buy a lot modelling materials there years ago when they had a very friendly guy working there (I can’t remember his name), it wasn’t the same after he left. I never really felt welcome, more like I has being watched because I was about to rob the place or some kind of inconvenience to be gotten rid of. Shame really because they did have a nice range of stuff, I haven’t been back there in about 4 years now.

Yeah that was Ruairi IIRC. Alot of people stopped going in there when he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Weird little shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I tried to go in there once but I didn't know the answer to one of the three riddles you need to solve to be allowed entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »
    I tried to go in there once but I didn't know the answer to one of the three riddles you need to solve to be allowed entry.

a green pepper

Squirtle

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noonan23

That's actually so true. One time I went into a Games Workshop store in the UK.
    I literally got berated and slagged out the door by the regulars.
    Hand on heart I did nothing but look at the products on the shelf.
    As for the gathering, I wouldn't even step inside there again after I had a browse and got a staredown.
    Buy your stuff on the internet IMO.

i was there few weeks ago , its a small shop they watch you like a hawk like if your on the rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Haven't been back in years for the reasons stated above, all those shop are the same. We rarely go into any of the Games Workshop places either since they have a need to come over to you and not let you be even when you say you want no help.

Just not a very pleasant shopping experience

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

TheGunns wrote: »
    Haven't been back in years for the reasons stated above, all those shop are the same. We rarely go into any of the Games Workshop places either since they have a need to come over to you and not let you be even when you say you want no help.

Just not a very pleasant shopping experience

I have no interest in buying anything in GW stores but I really appreciate the craftmanship that goes into painting those figures as they really are amazing. The thing about those stores is that, although the do ask you if you want anything, they will let you alone if you say you are just browsing.

As for the Gathering, many of the people who used to go in there wouldn't go in now to save their life. Not sure who is working in there now to cause such a reaction :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Won a painting competition there ages ago when the LOTR tabletop game was popular. I like those shops, but houses a very unwelcoming community.

Haven't been there in years though, 2003? 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

the title of this thread is very decieving I thought there was some bord failte 2013 gathering thing going on ... in gerald griffin street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have no interest in buying anything in GW stores but I really appreciate the craftmanship that goes into painting those figures as they really are amazing. The thing about those stores is that, although the do ask you if you want anything, they will let you alone if you say you are just browsing.

As for the Gathering, many of the people who used to go in there wouldn't go in now to save their life. Not sure who is working in there now to cause such a reaction :confused:

I have seen they changed the layout, used to be pretty quiet going in there and there was a nice guy in there but there was 2 of them at one stage and that's when I remember the place turning.

As mentioned above, the community is not all that welcoming for newcomers if you don't know anyone or are exceptional at something hosted there.

The worst part is, I always find myself edging to go there when I'm in town :D

Advertisement