Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing an experienced CV.

Options
  • 27-05-2013 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Trying to get my CV in order. Ive usually just updated it as Ive gone along but its 5 pages, looks messy and I have to majorly edit it.

A few questions.....how many pages are acceptable for a 5 year career? For roles and responsibilities, is 4-5 bullet points enough? Do people add a Key Strength section? Should I put in a Career Profile Statement?

Would appreciate any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

When I came here on my WHV, I had 2 resumes on the go.

One was for career-ish work, which was detailed, included all relevant work, strengths, qualifications, referees, etc.

The second one was for any casual, I need the money work, it didn't include much about strengths, had less detail and only had my referees in Aus on it.

They both worked out rather well, got plenty of casual work on and off, and I got good responses and my interview call rate was reasonable (25%) for the career one.

For short term and casual work on a WHV, keep it short and sweet, maximum 3 page, try for 2 pages.

For a career Resume, build it up but without any bullshT in there, include any relevant experience, repsonsibilities, key skills and knowledge. Know the criteria that are typically required for the position and nail them.

It's also worth having a cover letter for Career-positions. Give it a personal touch, why you are applying for the job, what you could bring to the table etc.

When it gets to interview stage, ensure you give the impression that you parted on good terms with all your employers. even if its not the case. take off the wedding ring if you have one. Smile back if they smile at you. Be yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

The work & jobs forum might better suit your questions, but since you're here..

you haven't asked it, but you're probably thinking it. In my opinion, there isn't any "Australian CV". Your CV should be the same whether it's in Oz or Éire. And to that end, a CV ≠ Resume. A CV is an account of your working career, covering everything. A resume is normally shorter, and tailored specifically to the job you're applying for. You should always be updating your CV, and then condensing to a Resume for any particular job you're applying for. A good resume should pique the readers interest and give them just enough information for consideration - that way you're called for interview to answer more questions, and that means your hand is in the door and the ball is in back your court to follow through.

The whole CV / Resume thing is arguably becoming less relevant if you consider how a lot of recruitment agencies will re-write, and both Seek or Linkedin will make you a digital one. But in my experience, if you've had to job-hop a lot, be sure to say why. For example, say it was a temp contract, the business folded, whatever. Just make sure it doesn't read like you left for no reason after 3 months. There's no set rule for page length, just make sure it's all relevant and needs to be there for the job you're applying for. Personally, i would probably favour a skills section over 'key strengths'. What does key strengths even mean anyway? it's waffly bullsh!t that anyone make up on the spot with no real value. The application needs to be full of actions and action words - of things you've done, not things you may or may not be able to do. Skills on the other hand are something that are needed and will set you apart from the competition. It's hard to lie with skills because you can be caught out very easily. List what you know.

That's all really.. your CV won't necessarily help you out with a job in OZ. Networking, recruiters and interviews will.

The value of this 2c may rise or fall. Contact your local cerebrum for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

statina wrote: »
    Trying to get my CV in order. Ive usually just updated it as Ive gone along but its 5 pages, looks messy and I have to majorly edit it.

A few questions.....how many pages are acceptable for a 5 year career? For roles and responsibilities, is 4-5 bullet points enough? Do people add a Key Strength section? Should I put in a Career Profile Statement?

Would appreciate any tips!

As someone who reads CV's every day the first page is key in my opinion. You gotta grab their attention that makes want the reader to continue. Make it look like a professional document - not just something you banged together in 15 minutes on Microsoft world. Use headers and footers and make the whole thing flow.

So yes, I think 5 pages is too long. I also think 'key strengths' is absolute non sense. I mean who decides you're 'a hard worker'? You? Your Mum?!

When reading a CV I want to see achievements or roles that prove you're a hard worker, or a team player or whatever. Otherwise you are just plucking attributes for yourself out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

One was for career-ish work, which was detailed, included all relevant work, strengths, qualifications, referees, etc.

The second one was for any casual, I need the money work, it didn't include much about strengths, had less detail and only had my referees in Aus on it.

They both worked out rather well, got plenty of casual work on and off, and I got good responses and my interview call rate was reasonable (25%) for the career one.

For short term and casual work on a WHV, keep it short and sweet, maximum 3 page, try for 2 pages.

How did you present the fact that you were on a WHV for the career type jobs you were applying for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Yeah I was thinking the key strengths bit was abit bull****ty but alot of the CV advice websites say put it in.

Its a professional CV, not for any WHV jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I drew as little attention to it as possible.

I just stated that my visa status entitled me to work in Australia. Largely that was because I spent nearly 18 months on a bridging visa (I self applied for an 820/801 visa with my partner) so I could have received a 28 day appeal or leave letter at any stage during that time. I elaborated during the interviews, and made it out to be a sure thing, that it was being processed and that DIAC had given me a verbal approval.

When I was actually on a WHV, I did let them know at interview that I could only work a maximum of 6 months without application to extend. ( which I did end up submitting to DIAC, it got refused.) Most of the work I did on my WHV was seasonal in the leisure/fitness industry so they were fine with that as long as I was there for the Peak Season (September-March) During my first winter I went and did some farm work milking cows (even less fun than it sounds, but I'd still recommend getting it done early) Then I went back to the same employer for another 6 months on my second year WHV.
    With about 2 weeks to spare, I submitted my 801/820 application 18 months later, got approved for 801, 6 months after that got my 820.

If you are thinking of going down a long-term road, one piece of advice is to keep every receipt, every ticket stub, every piece of correspondence, just shoebox it in case you need it down the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Get it professionally looked at. It's worth the investment. You're CV will stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

For a career Resume, build it up but without any bullshT in there, include any relevant experience, repsonsibilities, key skills and knowledge. Know the criteria that are typically required for the position and nail them.

It's also worth having a cover letter for Career-positions. Give it a personal touch, why you are applying for the job, what you could bring to the table etc.

When it gets to interview stage, ensure you give the impression that you parted on good terms with all your employers. even if its not the case. take off the wedding ring if you have one. Smile back if they smile at you. Be yourself.

Why's that????

Advertisement