Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flat

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I am im the process of buying a home where the garage was converted into a grann flat. However, there was originally a doorway/entrance, that was sealed up, between the main residance and the garage. The granny flat has it's own entrance to the rear. I have been told that sealing up the door violated planning permission so an entrance between the granny flat and main entrance may have to be re-introduced. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? is it part of current regulation that you have to have an entrance between the main residence and a granny flat?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sounds like the garage was converted to a separate residence without planning permission. By blocking the doorway- so there was no access from the main house- it legally becomes a separate dwelling, and this requires planning permission. It sounds like someone took a shortcut. If you do decide to try for retrospective planning permission- the development will have to meet all building codes. Its very possible to go for retrospective- but you do have to keep in mind that it may be costly bringing the granny flat up to standards- and you should get it properly surveyed before considering purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 feelo

Thanks smcarrick, yea this is the case alright no planning obtained for a seperate residence. By introducing a doorway again you are bring the flat back into the main residence so it is not technically a granny flat anymore, which might be the easiest option. I will be getting house surveyed so it will be interesting to see what he has to say in regards to getting retention on it. The work seems to be of a very high standard and the garage was part of the main residence (bedroom over it also), so very little construction involved. So getting retention may not be too difficult.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd try for retention- you may have to put in additional windows and ensure there is a portion of the garden assigned to the unit- but a self contained apartment could be a nice little income (subject to tax of course), and god knows any cashflow is welcome in these tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 feelo

Yea very true we could all use it !!!! There is alread a couple of windows and a portion of the back yard has already been alloacted to to it, it's got it's own rear entrance at the back of the house also. So hopefully retention won't be too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

When was the granny flat done? I think if it has been there for 7 years you can apply for retention if it was done without planning permission. If you are serious about buying the house I think it would worthwhile getting an architect to check it for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement