Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello all. Me and my gf are currently house hunting in north county Dublin. Were fully approved to 300k and have an added 100 k ! Which IMO is good. Were conscious that we only want a Loan of 277 Inc stamp duty & fees as it's what we can afford comfy enough we earn a combined amount of 4600 so this would mean our monthly mortgage would be 1300. Firstly I have to say the market I'm north Dublin for 3/4 bedroom houses is poor? There's these new joint viewings which are causing people to panic and offer more, does anyone get this too? We recently viewed a house for 385 k asking , we were informed by estate agent who was brutal that the seller would take 360 k now we liked the house a lot and someone put a bid of 360 in so we decided not to play games and put out true 370 k bid in. A day later we were told a person had bid 373 ! What's goin on I taught this was a recession and people were bring so careful? I feel prices are going up for these houses in dub?! Prople are panicking and putting in bids over the value, back to Celtic tiger times !! Any opinions ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

death112 wrote: »
    we were informed by estate agent who was brutal that the seller would take 360 k now we liked the house a lot and someone put a bid of 360 in so we decided not to play games and put out true 370 k bid in. A day later we were told a person had bid 373 !
    Sounds like the seller knows how to do their job, ie; get as much money for the owner as possible. As for the bidding wars; there seems to be a general lack of property in South Dublin, so it may be spilling to some areas in the north side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Prices seem high-ish for what I would consider "north county Dublin". Malahide perchance?
    People seem very willing to pay high prices for "premium" areas. It's up to you if you want to do likewise.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One thing worth asking is what band it's been put it in for property tax purposes;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

gaius c wrote: »
    Prices seem high-ish for what I would consider "north county Dublin". Malahide perchance?

That would be reasonable money in places like Malahide, Howth, Glasnevin, Raheny, Clontarf etc Even areas like Balbriggan you could pay that much for a larger property.
    Op houses in good areas seem to be on the increase particularly close to amenities like good schools etc.

I would recommend changing the title of the thread to something more specific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That would be reasonable money in places like Malahide, Howth, Glasnevin, Raheny, Clontarf etc Even areas like Balbriggan you could pay that much for a larger property.

I'd have thought that only Malahide & Balbriggan out of that list is North County Dublin as the rest are suburbs of the city?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Regardless if your address is D something odd or Co Dublin there will be houses to fill any price bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Regardless if your address is D something odd or Co Dublin there will be houses to fill any price bracket.

Thats true. The OP never stated what part of North County Dublin fills their budget, we're just guessing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Go south side and buy in the likes of d14, d16

Nice house, nice areas, good schools and 0% chance of getting stabbed to death

>edit< 15-20% chance

Southside snobbery is alive and well. (I'm from SCD but your trollish nonsense isn't appreciated)

In the interest of balance.

D14 - Whitechurch eek :eek::eek:

D16 - Wasn't there a murder in Coolamber in Knocklyon about 10 years ago. Some guy that owned a chipper killed somebody if I recall correctly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And there was a drug related shooting in Lucan 3-4 weekends ago.
    Writing off an entire area, or having preconceived notions, is complete and utter nonsense. No one area is immune to antisocial behaviour- or deprivation- lest we forget the highest concentration of unemployed people in the country is in the South Dublin Co. Co. catchment area- this doesn't mean they are any better or worse than anyone else- simply they are unfortunate to have lost their jobs and are struggling to find employment- akin to anyone else anywhere else in the country.

You will find lovely people in the most deprived of areas- and you will find complete and utter scumbags in the poshest suburbs- to suggest any particular human trait is inherently associated with any particular area- is complete and utter nonsense.

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lucan isn't southside ;)
    There are a higher percentage chance of you kids getting into and finishing college.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    There are a higher percentage chance of you kids getting into and finishing college.
    In Lucan?

The Liffey runs through Lucan therefore part is Northside and part is Southside as if that is even relevant to this thread

In Lucan?

The Liffey runs through Lucan therefore part is Northside and part is Southside as if that is even relevant to this thread

no not in Lucan,

Lucan is outside the M50 and it not considered South Dublin, it would be considered West Dublin

But what was the college point about?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Writing off an entire area, or having preconceived notions, is complete and utter nonsense.
    Writing off entire postcodes mostly would be, but some areas (Summerhill in D1) gained a bad rep for outsiders (good community spirit is meant to exist, though).
    But what was the college point about?
    I think it was in reference to Tallaght, which is also Southside... :P

It's in reference to north side/ south side/ snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

the_syco wrote: »
    Writing off entire postcodes mostly would be, but some areas (Summerhill in D1) gained a bad rep for outsiders (good community spirit is meant to exist, though).

"good community spirit" in inner city Dublin is a great stereotype put around by people who never have to live there.

Citycap wrote: »
    "good community spirit" in inner city Dublin is a great stereotype put around by people who never have to live there.
    GCS refers to every inner city hellhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

get a life people. the op asked advise about the market and ye turn in into some kind of a childish snobfest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    get a life people. the op asked advise about the market and ye turn in into some kind of a childish snobfest.

True. However- keep in mind, the last post in this thread was in May- over 6 months ago, resurrecting threads like this is called resurrecting Zombies- and you are specifically requested not to do so in our forum charter. Its just something to keep in mind- replying on ancient threads- isn't going to really achieve anything of significance- most people had probably forgotten about this thread.

On that note- thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement