Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme dropsey??

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    i got up this morning to find one of my cherry barbs bloated. Well it looks more like she swallowed a marble. Shes staying level but not swimming much. Should i quarentine her asap?? i also have swordtails, danios and a pleco, and dont want them to get sick.
    Thanks in advance??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I would suggest you quarantine if possible. It could be a blockage. Have you tried feeding peas - just boil and shell them. You could also add some Epsom Salt - 1 tablespoon per 4 litres.

It's generally not a good sign when they get that bloated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Definitely quarantine it. Add some Epsom Salt as the other poster said. Keep an eye on your other fish for signs of it, as it will spread. Is your tank overcrowded? You may have to euthanize that fish, as that level of bloating sounds pretty bad.

On a side note, do your barbs ever nip at or act aggressively towards your swordtails?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Has the fish swollen any bigger since?
    I have had fish with bloat before and they look like they will burst and unfortunately the cure for it is not available in Ireland (so I am told by a LFS)
    One of my ebjd got bloat and died within a few days but did not pass to other fish in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Just an update guys. Only seen your replys now,
    I put the fish down. It was worse than any dropsy google images throws up by a long shot. Along with looking like she swallowed a marble, she developed a transparent bubble on one side which burst. Thinking back, she alwas looked swelled as my partner commented on it when she got her, thinking her pregnant. The other fish are fine so far, and keeping a close eye on them.
    I have pics if anyone would like to see them out of interest...

Advertisement