Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Surge Query

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have a quick power surge query that I would like some advice on.

We had a pretty bad lightning storm here a few weeks ago, during the storm UPC broadband and TV went down (apparently an ESB power line came down on their equipment ?, don't know if thats true but am trying to find out)

After the storm TV would not turn on, no activity from it whatsoever.

I have a temporary replacement TV and have only connected everything back up now to find out that my HDMI receiver although everything powers on as no picture / audio, and the UPC cable box HDMI port is not working (it works on the scart but not HDMI).

Is it possible that the surge came in through UPC and fried everything along the way (is there anything I can do to find out if this is the case), UPC hdmi out was connected to one of the inputs on the Denon Amp via HDMI, The denon amp HDMI output was connected to the TV.

There are a lot of devices connected to the sockets by the tv, as well as lots of other devices connected around the hous which did not suffer any damage.

The TV is gone to the insurance company to be checked out but they do not know anything about the other issues (I only discovered them last night).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Just a suggestion - is there any possibility of borrowing a UPC box to see if a different box works- this may indicate if lightning damage has been done to your UPC box. This may not be a practical suggestion, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Thanks for the reply, no point in borrowing one though, i've narrowed it down to the HDMI out on the box as the cable is working for my PS3 going into the same HDMI port on the TV that will not display anything from the UPC box.

Anybody have any thoughts on this, anyway to prove if the surge came through HDMI besides visual inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would say its a lightening strike came in through your UPC box, and then through HDMI to your telly.

Yell at UPC till they give you a new one.

Do you know of any way of proving that though. I spoke to upc and they tried to charge me because the box still works. I logged a complaint but I know its going to be a load of hassle getting anywhere with them.

The difficult part is proving where the surge came in. ( I think).

• Advertisement
Advertisement