Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom sales say you can NEVER get eFibre if you are 1km or more from your nearest ca

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I was on to Eircom sales just now on behalf if a friend down the road.
    Her exact address came up in the checker and we thought she was good to go. The rep said she couldn't get eFibre when she gave the number.

He also said that you can't get the eFibre product if you are more than 1 km from your nearest cabinet. She is exactly 1 km away.

Can any Eircom rep please expand in this.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi MMAgirl,

The agent is correct in relation to the distance from the cabinet.

The map is only an indicator for the exchange itself. The Fibre has to be connected to the cabinet in your area/estate for you to avail of the Fibre service.

Would you like to PM me your details and I will look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Hi MMAgirl,

The agent is correct in relation to the distance from the cabinet.

The map is only an indicator for the exchange itself. The Fibre has to be connected to the cabinet in your area/estate for you to avail of the Fibre service.

Would you like to PM me your details and I will look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

So just to confirm.
    If someone was 7 km from the exchange and couldn't get broadband before, but are now 1.1 km from a fibre enabled cabinet, they still are not allowed to get broadband from Eircom.
    Frankly, that's just ridiculous and insulting to those who you couldn't sere before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

Yes this is correct I'm afraid, when it comes to Fibre it’s the distance from the cabinet.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

WHAT???
    Now this is sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I was on to Eircom sales just now on behalf if a friend down the road.
    Her exact address came up in the checker and we thought she was good to go. The rep said she couldn't get eFibre when she gave the number.

He also said that you can't get the eFibre product if you are more than 1 km from your nearest cabinet. She is exactly 1 km away.

Can any Eircom rep please expand in this.?

Hi MMAGirl

The efibre product is limited to distance from the cabinet. Can you private message me with your friends telephone number and name and I will look into it for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi MMAGirl

The efibre product is limited to distance from the cabinet. Can you private message me with your friends telephone number and name and I will look into it for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
    I also have a problem with location.
    Probably similar to MMAGirls friend.
    I've PM'd you my telephone number and name.
    Can you help me?
    I drove it today and i'm just under a Km from the Cabinet.
    What I would like to know is when is that cabinet going to be enabled and what service can I get, because i'm thinking of just giving up the phone line at this stage.  An answer more accurate than "soon" would be good too.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Hi Mark,
    I also have a problem with location.
    Probably similar to MMAGirls friend.
    I've PM'd you my telephone number and name.
    Can you help me?
    I drove it today and i'm just under a Km from the Cabinet.
    What I would like to know is when is that cabinet going to be enabled and what service can I get, because i'm thinking of just giving up the phone line at this stage.  An answer more accurate than "soon" would be good too.

Thanks
    Hi PhilMcGee

I got the Pm thanks. I checked with our efibre networks team and they confirmed that there is no indication as to when the estate may be enabled for efibre as yet.

I appreciate you checked the distance yourself. However the cables / network are laid in direct line of sight. So the cable tracking or distance involved can be considerably further than you may expect.

Sorry I was not able to get back with better news.

Thanks, Mark

Hi PhilMcGee

I got the Pm thanks. I checked with our efibre networks team and they confirmed that there is no indication as to when the estate may be enabled for efibre as yet.

I appreciate you checked the distance yourself. However the cables / network are laid in direct line of sight. So the cable tracking or distance involved can be considerably further than you may expect.

Sorry I was not able to get back with better news.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark.
    I guess im used to bad news from Eircom by now.
    My others questions were 
    Will it be possible to get better BB even if you are over 1 km from the cabinet when its enabled.
    I was under the assumption that the cabinet becomes the exchange when eFibre is live.  If thats the case is the worst case scenario that I get NGB BB the same as if i was originally 1Km from the exchange.
    Can I pay extra to get eFibre.  There is a whole townland here and there are people including myself who would pay thousands to get connected up if you offered it.  (We all thought FTTC meant we would get it but of course we wont) Is it even possible to get it as I would jump on it even if I had to pay a few thousand euro to connect it.
    There are lots of people with businesses here who would pay that much for proper BB.
    Can you answer those questions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

How do you find out where your nearest cabinet it?

Advertisement