Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Soundcard - PC won't shut down

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone could provide some help with my issue :-)

Yesterday I installed a new soundcard in my PC and since then it won't shut down properly. Windows closes down and the monitor goes off but the lights on the tower stay on and the fans are still spinning. I'm guessing this has something to do with the new soundcard as it was working perfectly prior to this.

The motherboard is a z77 extreme 4 and the soundcard is an asus xonar 5.1.

I would note that when I was installing it I noticed that the soundcard was blocking the graphics card's fans so I switched the sound card with the network card (as the network card is a lot smaller/didn't block the GPU fan) maybe switching these could have done something?

Would love to hear what people think...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mcgarnicle wrote: »
    Hoping someone could provide some help with my issue :-)

Yesterday I installed a new soundcard in my PC and since then it won't shut down properly. Windows closes down and the monitor goes off but the lights on the tower stay on and the fans are still spinning. I'm guessing this has something to do with the new soundcard as it was working perfectly prior to this.

The motherboard is a z77 extreme 4 and the soundcard is an asus xonar 5.1.

I would note that when I was installing it I noticed that the soundcard was blocking the graphics card's fans so I switched the sound card with the network card (as the network card is a lot smaller/didn't block the GPU fan) maybe switching these could have done something?

Would love to hear what people think...

Well I suppose the first thing to do is remove the soundcard and see does the problem go away. If it does then it would identify the cause of the problem.
    Then I would try re-seating the soundcard and seeing if the problem returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Hi Mordeith,

Thanks for the response... So an update on this...

I've tried a few things at this point. I've reinstalled Windows, taken the soundcard out of the computer, taken the network card out, uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled the drivers. I booted up into safe mode and tried to shut down from there but then not even windows shuts down (which supposedly means it's a hardware issue)

It's really strange because when I go to restart the PC will shut down momentarily (before restarting) whereas when I go to shut down it simply seems to shut down windows and leaves all the hardware running.

If this is a hardware issue I am totally at a loss as to figure out what could have happened. I literally just plugged the soundcard in and the the PC was working as usual until I went to shut it down that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Right well you seem to have gone through a fair few scenarios. Have you tried putting the pc back to the physical state it was before the new soundcard i.e. put the network card back in the original slot and leave the new soundcard out altogether

Advertisement