Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clicker training

• 27-05-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Hoping that someone may offer advice here.
    I have been told that I can do a bit more work/more routes with my new guide dog, only I must get someone sighted to help, which is no problem.
    Now, I've decided, because it's worked amazingly for my dog so far, to use clicker training. I will not be using the clicker myself at all but will have a sighted person do it to ensure safety and more importantly acuracy which is vital.
    my question is, should I get the person who will be helping a book or something on clicker training, or will it suffice to explain how clicker training works and leave it at that?
    This person is not a stranger to dogs at all, and is a teacher of mobility at the moment not with dogs but my point is she understands the magnitude of what she is helping me to do, which is why I asked her.
    Thoughts appreciated, particularly from anyone who has used clicker training/is familliar with the concept
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Perhaps you could suggest they look at some you tube vids on it, maybe some others can suggest good vids or sites with training videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

mymo wrote: »
    Perhaps you could suggest they look at some you tube vids on it, maybe some others can suggest good vids or sites with training videos.

yep can do. thanks for suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mymo wrote: »

+1 that's what I'd suggest too - you need to get the timing right which a video is perfect for. I've done lots of clicker training with my dog and it works very well.

Advertisement