Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Jordan safe to work in for a woman on her own?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

My wife has been shortlisted for a 2 month teaching contract for a British school in Amman and due to prior commitments I will only be able to be there with her for 10 days out of two months. I am concerned about what her day to day life might be like once I have left as I know in certain muslim countries a woman must have a chaperone though I do not know if this extends to Jordan. With all the ups and downs in the middle east region at the moment I would appreciate if anybody who may have had experience working and or living there could offer some advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

For two months it shouldnt be too bad even if there are restrictions. And if she's working for the "British School" then they should be used to looking after their european staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I've been to Jordan but only as a tourist. It's mild as muslim countries go...although she would want to cover up when walking around, just to avoid the stares. Don't hold hands or behave in a coupley way as it will attract attention (not necessarily hostile or anything but you might feel uncomfortable) some kids threw stones at me & my other half and jeered at us coz we were holding hands ! And every woman I saw there had the headscarf on, (not necessarily the burka) and had neck, shoulders covered arms covered down the wrists and legs covered down to the ankles - in other words the usual muslim garb. Jordan is a moderate muslim country so I'm sure once your wife covers up, sticks to the well known areas, doesn't go out alone at night - she will be fine.

Advertisement