Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering a 2yo dog

• 27-05-2013 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

We have a new dog, he's a 2 years old pointer x and we have him from a pound. He is not neutered and so we plan to arrange it soon, but we're still wondering about a couple of things. We're going to talk to our vet at the next checkup but please share your experience - our previous male dog was already neutered when we rescued him and other dogs were female!

First, he's very very active and athletic. He's bursting with energy and needs at least an hour a day of pure play, on top of walking just for walking. Jumps six feet in the air, runs laps around the field just to run them etc. I don't know if he can be expected to quieten down enough for recovery? What if he keeps bursting stitches etc? Can't see him liking a crate at all...

Also, what changes in behaviour may happen for a dog who was not neutered as a puppy and will be neutered as a 2yo? He's not aggressive at all, but he is very easily excited and very active physically, there's a still much of a puppy in him. We are mostly doing it so that he does not father any unwanted puppies and I understand it helps with some health issues in adult dogs but at this stage in his development should we expect changes in behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

The changes will be nearly all positive in my experience,we neutered our dogs at 3 and 4 once certain behaviour began to increase.This immediately stopped after the neutering,in fact 2hrs after the op they bounced back and you could`nt tell they had just been under anesthetic.
    I would definitely recommend it,as most dogs seem to be just that bit more content once the hormone levels stabilise.
    He will be given a lampshade type device to put around his head and prevent him aggrevating the incision.
    Leave this on him for at least the first 5 days,you can take it off him in the house where you can prevent him licking the area,but put it back on when out walking or when your not around him.
    If he is only 2 he will most likely calm down in the next year anyway as a lot of breeds still show puppy hyper activity up until 2-2.5yrs old.
    Good on you for considering the neutering,too many people let there dogs stray and pregnate another dog hence why rescue centers and pounds are overrun with abandoned puppies or pregnant bitches.Fair play for also rescuing a dog from the pound,often too many people over look the pounds and those dogs really do not have a chance unless good people like yourself save them.Hope it works out for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thank you, that's very helpful! Can you tell me how is their mobility affected with the incision healing? My friend had her dog neutered recently and she was advised to take him on small walks only, on the lead, just to do his business outside then come back. My fella will go nuts if he's limited like this; just to give you an impression of what he's like, during the time you take to put your shoes on to take him for a walk he will run upstairs and back four times just because he wants to move...

He could use a little chill pill, so hopefully with the procedure and him coming out of the late puppy stage he'll become more of a settled gentleman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

I gave my guys a rest for 1 day and then took them on a 2km walk twice a day but on the lead and nothing too strenuous.
    He will want to sleep a bit and its really not a huge deal for him considering whats involved.
    As long as you can get him out of the house a bit,take him in the car etc he will be grand.
    He definitely will calm a bit but do not expect miracles this takes some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

To keep him occupied try some mental stimulation, training and games, kongs are great too, stuff with food (left overs or dog food, peanut butter etc) and freeze them to make them last longer.
    I can't comment on behaviour straight after neutering as my dog doesn't do well under anaesthetic and took 4 days to even become steady on his feet (it's rare to have bad reaction, don't let it put you off), but down the road he has become calmer, he was 3 when done, near 5 now.
    He still gets the zoomies and runs full pelt in rings when excited on a off lead walk, still the same nutcase, just a bit calmer.

Thank you! Yup he gets kongs, treats, things to chew on and rip apart, the works, he also has the company of another dog. I guess I'm just worried that being so lively he may damage himself if he doesn't get the message that he needs to take it easy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Do you realise that pointers and pointer crosses make fantastic sled dogs? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I just went to Jago neutering and he is a crazy hyperactive 8 months old setter x.
    The vet didn't tell me to put the cone but only to keep him "quiet" (impossible).
    I would suggest if he licks please put the cone even if the vets are not so for it at the moment.
    I bought a soft one and he got used with "no problems".
    Obviously follow the vet advice anyway.

I struggled 2 weeks to keep him quiet and it was almost impossible.
    I bought raw bones, any kind of interactive toys, small walks (no walks for one week grrrr)
    but I have been not lucky..
    I love pointers!!
    He will be fine and should improve not changing a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

How long have you had him and do you know how long he was in the pound? I'm just wondering if he's been stuck in the pound for a while and then you bring him home to walks and space and freedom and running he's just going baloobas and will then calm down a bit after the initial excitement of a new home eases off, when he settles in more and gets into your routine, ie knowing when it's dinner time, play time, walk time and most importantly, rest time!!

Of course if you've had him ages then that blows my theory right out of the water...!

He's been with us for two months now and he was in the pound for a few weeks; he was indeed quite hyper when he arrived but now he's just lively :) We will wait another couple of weeks at least as not to shock him more than unavoidable. Thanks for everyone's stories :)

Sled dogs... I always wanted a dog to bring me milk & paper on a Saturday morning, that could work :D

Advertisement