Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro transfer rate issue

• 27-05-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am currently on the Metro Express 30Mb package. While Speedtest.net results show speeds of around 29Mb down/0.97 up and low pings the transfer rates is no where near close to reflecting this. The maximum I have been getting of late was between 400k and 1.5Mb/sec but nearer to the lower. The signal to noise ratio SNR for the downstream channel on my connection is 39.4db with an upstream channel of 31.8-32.2db. I also live within a mile of the nearest base station, which in my case is Naas Kildare.

My questions for those of you who also have Metro 30Mb preferrably are.

1. What transfer rates are you getting on your connection?
    2. What signal to noise (SNR) levels are being displayed in your modem settings (enter www.192.168.0.1, type in "admin" under password and open the connection tab on the left panel of home screen). Applies to Thompson TWG 870 wifi modem,as I am not quite sure how to get it on the older Thompson THG 520 model.
    3. Location of address in distance from base station and location of base station if possible..

I would appreciate any feedback before I follow it up with technical support. If anyone prefers to PM me please feel free to.

Regards
    cunnijo

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Your SNR and upstream power levels are spot on. Definitely not a signal issue.

Where have you tested your download throughput exactly and what are you using to test it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi ShiverinEskimo.

The downloads are carried out using a direct connection between the modem and PC using Cat5e cable and not wireless, so fall off on speeds should not be an issue. I use mostly 2 browsers to test the transfer rate Firefox and IE. Contention does not seem to be an issue however as download and upload speeds very seldom drop below 28Mb down/.95Mb up according to speedtest.net and upc.ie.

The websites I used for test were Microsoft.com/hardware, corel.com amd amd.com mainly.

I have been in correspondance with 2 other Metro customers (through this forum) whose connection speed is around the same as mine. However their transfer rates are between 3-4Mb/sec virtually all of the time, where as the max I seem to get is 1.6Mb/sec One of them lives around half a mile from the Drogheda base station. His SNR is around 36.5db downstream and 31.5db upstream. The second person lives in Cork city.

Digiweb for their part replaced the Thompson router along with the internal power unit that feeds the outdoor antenna with new ones but at the time the issue was not the one I am discussing now. However neither have resolved this main issue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Do you have access to another PC/laptop to quickly rule out a PC/driver issue on your machine? If you can replicate the issue on another PC then it confirms it is a modem/ISP issue.

Can you put up a screenshot of your modem's connection page showing all the parameters?

Do you have access to another PC/laptop to quickly rule out a PC/driver issue on your machine? If you can replicate the issue on another PC then it confirms it is a modem/ISP issue.

Can you put up a screenshot of your modem's connection page showing all the parameters?

Hi
    I do have a laptop that I can use to carry out the checks when I get home this evening and will hopefully be able to supply the screenshot of the Thompson modem connection page. I would have done it last night only the PC and modem stopped talking to each other.

Hi ShiverinEskimo

Apologies for not getting back sooner. Resolved the issue between the modem and PC with the help of technical support. You asked for a screenshot of the modems connection page showing all parameters in relation to the transfer rate issue. I almost forgot. I carried oit a download test using a Windows 7 laptop as well as the main PC and the transfer rates were the same on both.

Regards

Startup Procedure
    Procedure Status Comment
    Acquire Downstream Channel Locked
    Connectivity State OK Operational
    Boot State OK Operational
    Configuration File OK
    Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power SNR
    1 Locked QAM256 1 6952000 9.7 dBmV 39.0 dB
    2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
    8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
    1 Locked QPSK 1 5120 Ksym/sec 32.2 dBmV
    2 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0.0 dBmV
    3 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0.0 dBmV
    4 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0.0 dBmV

CM IP Address Duration Expires
    ---.---.---.--- D: -- H: -- M: -- S: -- --- --- -- --:--:-- ----

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 honnaddannoh

Maybe its Digiweb throttling your downloads. Is the contention ratio not like 100-1 with them using that line of sight technology?

Advertisement