Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court summons for Luas

• 27-05-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering what course of action one would might take on this matter? I hope this is suitable place for this

A while ago we received a letter from Luas/veolia about using the Luas without a ticket.

(I have never used the Luas or train without a ticket, Just the idea of this happening worries me)

We contacted the Luas as to why and they told us that one of their inspectors caught us using the Luas without a ticket. This couldn't of happened so we asked if they took photo id or id of any sort. They said "NO" and that we refused to give ID.(again never happened)

SO we asked where where a inspector caught us, They said they couldn't tell us as we were disputing it was us.(Seemed odd).

The conversations ended up fruitlessly going around in circles.

In the end we received a court summons from something we genuinely did not do and that someone gave our address and name and the inspector took the details without checking ID's.

Ideally we don't want to go to court to plead this, is their anything some we could possible do in advance to sort this.

Not so much as looking for legal advice more just if anyone has actually be genuinely being false accused of this.

It would great if someone could get back asap. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you have received a court summons, then you must turn up in court.

Simply attend, state your case and the judge will decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with Paulw

Also suggest you or your solicitor wirte to the solicitor who issued the summons stating you were not on the Luas that day. It might be withdrawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You might be entitled to legal aid as this is an offence of dishonesty. You should visit the court you have been summoned to in advance and observe the legal aid solicitors at work. You should approach one who seems to be well known to the judge and explain your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Slyderx1

Jo King wrote: »
    You might be entitled to legal aid as this is an offence of dishonesty. You should visit the court you have been summoned to in advance and observe the legal aid solicitors at work. You should approach one who seems to be well known to the judge and explain your position.
    Very unlikely to qualify for legal aid on a summary offence with a max fine of 1000e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Thanks for the quick replies, i wouldn't dream of not turning up, would cause more issues over nothing. As stated yeah besides from the intimidating instance of being in court id rather just sort it out. Ask them what proof do they have and why they are insisting on something i didn't do especially that never took photo ID

Also im assuming that the case will be thrown out or innocent, would i be entitled to any compensation, just the idea of being randomly accused of this is rather distressing and time consuming.

Also i don't exactly have a funds for a solicitor, Student who works 1-2 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Write to them (registered letter). Ask for all cctv footage of alleged incident.

Also (others might know this) if you win can you claim expensise against them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Write to them (registered letter). Ask for all cctv footage of alleged incident.

Also (others might know this) if you win can you claim expensise against them?

http://courts.ie/rules.nsf/0c609d7abff72c1c80256d2b0045bb64/7cee11e8193a33da80256d2b0046a078?OpenDocument

The only person immune from costs order are DPP or AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Any evidence of you being in a different place on the same day/time would lean strongly in your favour i.e you were at work,hair appointment etc. Think where you were at that time/day and do you have any evidence to prove same

Advertisement