Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Mouse Issues

• 27-05-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭

I reckoned this would be the best place to ask, considering it's a gaming only problem.

Playing games while using kbm is grand for the most part, but when playing FPS's when moving the mouse it's like there is lag; screen is jumpy. Perfect when moving slow, standing still, or moving straight without moving the mouse, but when moving the mouse with any bit of speed the screen jumps, like the game isn't rendering quick enough for the mouse movement.

No issues when using a controller, just with the mouse. It's a wired optical mouse, nothing fancy, but the same thing happens with a wireless optical and a wired Microsoft optical.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Sounds like there's some hair or dirt partially blocking the diode on the mouse.

Derp: Didn't see you have tried multiple meeses. Try the same thing in safe mode, if the same problem persists it's a driver issue.

You can also try going to Control panel > Mouse > Pointer options and uncheck the box that says enhance pointer precision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think under windows your mouse movement is accelerated the further you move it. There might be settings to turn this off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You can also try going to Control panel > Mouse > Pointer options and uncheck the box that says enhance pointer precision.

Done that and there seems to be a slight improvement. But that could just be my eyes.
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    I think under windows your mouse movement is accelerated the further you move it. There might be settings to turn this off

Can't find anything, and after a bit of testing, it doesn't accelerate.

Could it be possible that my PC just isn't able for quick movement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

try the mouse on different surfaces - had a dell mousemat that did similar, and now I just go bareback (rowr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Try deleting the HID devices & Microsoft standard mouse in device manager, then reinsert the wireless mouse to reinstall the drivers. I'd put money on it being a driver issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Can you post the make and model of the mouse?

Wossack wrote: »
    try the mouse on different surfaces - had a dell mousemat that did similar, and now I just go bareback (rowr)

No difference (well, slight in one case, but for the worse).
    Try deleting the HID devices & Microsoft standard mouse in device manager, then reinsert the wireless mouse to reinstall the drivers. I'd put money on it being a driver issue.

Uninstalled from Device Manager, reinserted, didn't even get an installing pop-up, and the device showed up automatically in Device Manager again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I use a 42" 720p plasma tv for my main pc, & because it's either a tv, or not full hd, it uses weird resolutions. 1280 x 720p to begin with, but then I have to scale the desktop to fit the screen, & then I'm left with a weird resolution.

Anyways, a lot of games don't like this custom resolution, & behave exactly as the op describes. Fine for small mouse movements, but a big movement is very laggy, & like the game renders too slow. If I change the games' resolution to something more normal, & sacrifice some of the screen size, it runs as fluid as it's meant to, so it may not be the same issue, but just have a look at the games' internal resolutions & try some others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,711 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Which titles do you experience this issue? Could be a driver problem, but in some cases like Dead Space I found that the game is sluggish unless you use a 360 controller, like it was a gross oversight when they ported the game to PC.

Sounded good, but changing the resolution to a "normal" one but it didn't make any difference. Then changed the settings to best performance, still no difference.

I must get my hands on a wired ball mouse to see if it's the optical that's giving me grief.

Edit: Unnoticeable in Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Battlefield 3, notice it slightly in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, and annoyingly noticeable in Dead Island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can you rule out the mouse altogether by binding a keyboard key to 'look left' for example?

Not in Dead Island anyway... And that's the one that's annoying me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

vsync off?

Tried that, no difference (better with it on actually!)

Advertisement