Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tyres

Options
  • 27-05-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

I need some new tyres but not 100% sure which ones.

Do they need to be camper ones or can commercial tyres do the job and be safe?

Got a quote for Continental tyres for €130 balanced and fitted inc vat?

Is this ok or should I shop around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

m8 wrote: »
    I need some new tyres but not 100% sure which ones.

Do they need to be camper ones or can commercial tyres do the job and be safe?

Got a quote for Continental tyres for €130 balanced and fitted inc vat?

Is this ok or should I shop around?

It is not a legal requirement to have CP Tyres (camping tyres).
    Any tyre can be fitted provided it has a load rating which is adequate to cover the load rating of the axle divided by the number of wheels on the axle.

Commercial vehicle tyres will cover the load rating requirement but CP tyres usually have the added benefit of lower road noise and better grip off road (on campsite grass for example) plus they can take a higher pressure to minimise deformation during long periods of being parked up. Some makes, Michelin for example, have M+S markings which make them legal for use during the winter months in countries where winter tyres are required

See HERE for all the info you need to make the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The price sounds good but maybe a little to good, check the load and speed index of the tyres, I was able to get any tyre under the sun with a good load index but the speed index was alway very poor I ended up getting Light Truck tyres : from Marshal 857 195/80 R15 106/104R 8PR from eiretyres.​com for 100 euros a wheel but then I had to get them fitted, cost 40 quid I think. FYI I check my email for details I'm not that much of tyre nerd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If those are vanco camper tyres its a realy great price, good price for vanco too.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Anyone know a place near Clonmel that would stock camper tyres and be able to fit them for me?

Don't want to chance going too far but would travel 30 miles or so if needed.

Looked at that but can't work out the charts for tyre presure.

Have 3.5 TON Ducato so what tyre presure should I have?

niloc1951 wrote: »
    It is not a legal requirement to have CP Tyres (camping tyres).
    Any tyre can be fitted provided it has a load rating which is adequate to cover the load rating of the axle divided by the number of wheels on the axle.

Commercial vehicle tyres will cover the load rating requirement but CP tyres usually have the added benefit of lower road noise and better grip off road (on campsite grass for example) plus they can take a higher pressure to minimise deformation during long periods of being parked up. Some makes, Michelin for example, have M+S markings which make them legal for use during the winter months in countries where winter tyres are required

See HERE for all the info you need to make the right choice.

• Advertisement

Looked at that but can't work out the charts for tyre presure.

Have 3.5 TON Ducato so what tyre presure should I have?

You need to know the actual axle weights (loads) fully laden, (not the maximum shown on the weight plate).

Pick your tyre size and load index
    Look along the same line until you see the axle weight
    Then look up to the recommended pressure.

So I need to go and get the Van weighed to know what tyre pressure to use.

There is no rule of thumb to apply.

Having problems locating the correct Camper tyres.

Anyone know anywhere within 30 miles of Clonmel where i can get them 215/70 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Try Tyreland in Cuffsgrange,4 miles on Kilkenny side of Callan. Simon there very good. Talk to him as rest are muppets. He owns the place. He sourced tyres for my caravan and I get tyres for my car from him. 056 7729111

Thanks Odyssey 2005 might give him a ring over the weekend.

• Advertisement

What would you think of these tyres

Firestone VANHAWK 215/70 R15 109/107 R C

Are they any good, price is €109 inc delivery but not fitted.

I read somewhere that I could fit these and that would give a me a better load rating

225/70 R15 112/110 R.

I'm not talking about brand and only used these as examples, what I ment is it ok to fit 225/70 to replace 215/70 which would give better load ratings?

My Van is 13 yrs old and I mostly travel at 80k PH and on motorways 100k PH max. I am thinking the wider tyre will give me more stability and better load tollerence as it's loaded at about 2.8 Ton.

German test says vanhawk has 'serious weakness in the wet' its also very high rolling resistance - F better tyres out there for the money. You local supplier should be able to match online price if you're buying 4 just tell them what you want and get them to order it.

225/70 15 is only a difference of 7mm in overall width and radius. You'd need to make sure you have no rubbing at full lock though.

Remember it is the little patches of rubber which contact the road which stand between a safe arrival and :eek::o:(

Also the high noise rating of a tyre can contribute to annoyance or discomfort and at worst driver fatigue. Tyres primarily for the goods vehicle market can be quite noisy.

Have a look at the recently introduced EU labelling HERE it will help to you to choose the best overall combination of characteristics to fit your budget and use.

Was onto 2 local tyre suppliers and have a choice of Firestone or Continental?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcspike

There's a piece ("Tyre Traumas") on page 220 of October 2011's MMM magazine that may be worth looking at. It seems that there is more to this issue that meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Can you not tell them what YOU want instead of them telling you what they will supply. They should be able to get any make of tyre you want. Who is spending the money here.

Last years german test concluded

1 Nokian Hakka C Cargo
    2 Nexen CP 321
    3 Conti Vanco Camper
    4 Vredestein Comtrac
    5 Goodyear Cargo Marathon
    6 Michelin Agilis
    7 Firestone Vanhawk
    8 Bridgestone Duravis

If you open it in google chrome it will be translated automatically or popr the url into google language tools

http://www.promobil.de/test/test-225-sommerreifen-fuer-transporter-und-wohnmobile-2012-521680.html

There seems to be some proper theory behind the continental camper tyre. Lately nearly all manufacturers are moving to the fareast so brand is becoming meaningless, continental seems to be all korea now, the germans are saying that the latest batch of vredesteins insn't a patch on the old ones too. I've always found vredestein fantastic.

In the Cab of my camper it says that tyre pressure should be 5.5 Bar which is 79.7707559 but the tyres on the van are 215/70 15C 109/107 and on them it says max pressure of 65psi and the tyres look under inflated to me with a total load of about 3ton.

This is why I was thinking of fitting 225/70 15C 112/110 tyres. Would this be ok as there seems to be loads of clearance on full lock and i have seen Ducatos with 225's on them. Now I know that the spare would be a 215 so would this do to get me to a garage just like the temp wheel in my car?

Any advice would be appreciated as I have to get new tyres this weekend.

Does this make sense or am I way off the mark here?

In the Cab of my camper it says that tyre pressure should be 5.5 Bar which is 79.7707559 but the tyres on the van are 215/70 15C 109/107 and on them it says max pressure of 65psi and the tyres look under inflated to me with a total load of about 3ton.

This is why I was thinking of fitting 225/70 15C 112/110 tyres. Would this be ok as there seems to be loads of clearance on full lock and i have seen Ducatos with 225's on them. Now I know that the spare would be a 215 so would this do to get me to a garage just like the temp wheel in my car?

The pressures in the cab notice are for 'camping tyres' those with a CP marking, The tyres with a max pressure of 65psi would be ordinary commercial vehicle tyres.

Refer to the site I linked to earlier where you should find the recommended pressures for your tyre/weight combination, if it's within the max for ordinary commercial vehicle tyres then they will do, if not you should get the CP rated tyres which are specifically designed for campers.

I have 215 on the back 195 on the front and 205 spare. The doe guys are just going to look at the load.rating. you don't even need a spare for the doe you can take it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Look again at the sticker in the cab. I bet it says A plein Charge? Translates as fully laden, as a panel van or chassis cab. Bears no relevance to your camper to be honest.

Advertisement