Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling with Meteor?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently with Meteor on 30 day sim contact.
    I'm thinking of moving to bill pay, would like a HTC One.
    400 mins, 400 texts etc. is €50 a month & phone for €99 on 18 month contract.
    They'll offer me €40 a month as that's what new customers get. (€40 for 12 months, €50 for the last 6 months).
    I said I was going to leave if they can't offer me anything better but the agent said they couldn't.

Just wondering if people have successfully haggled with Meteor? If you give notice & e-mail to cancel do they phone you to entice you to stay with Meteor?

cheers in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The phone costs around 600 euros out of contract if I am correct. So effectively they are giving you a 500 euros credit over 18 months which is about 28 euros per month.

You contract is 40*12+50*6 = 780 euros for the 18 months, which is an average of 43.5 euros per month.

So in summary for each of the next 18 months you would be paying an average of 15.5 euros for the contract itself and 28 euros for the credit to buy the phone.

If you look at their website, a SIM only contact for 400mins, 400 text, and 2GB is 25 euros per month for the first 12 month and 50 euros per month afterwards (probably exactly the contract you are looking at with a phone, but cheaper for the first year as it is a sim free version).

In summary, the deal they offered you is giving them 10 euros less margin per months compared you getting their SIM free offer. They are fine with this as they know they would have you captive for 18 months in exchange; but I don't think you have a lot of margin to negotiate a better deal - it's probably not worth their while.

And looking at the numbers, if you can find an prepaid or SIM only contract which gives you what you want for less than 15.5 euros per month, you're financially better off buying the phone SIM free and full price, and going for that option (the added benefit is that it would also make it easier to for you to change plan or phone if you want to in the next 18 months).

Just my two cents.

Advertisement