Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S won't play sounds?

• 27-05-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hi just noticed recently when I try watch a video or play music my iPhone wont play anything and the option to higher and lower the volume is not there, but when I put the earphones in it appears and I can hear music through that!

Does anyone know what might be the problem it's been really irritating me the past two days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hi OP, is your Silent Button on? Have you turned the phone off and on again? If your iPhone is backed up on iTunes you could do a full reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have had a similar problem ever since I upgraded to IOS 6.1. After the phone is turned on after being off, no sound play - either through the speaker on headphone jack. If I leave it for a couple of minutes however it sorts itself out. Haven't been able to resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

It's not the silent button anyway I made sure of that everything in my settings seems right and haven't changed anything recently..

Try cleaning out the bottom of the iPhone (where you plug in the cable) with a dry and clean toothbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Do you use a dock.

• Advertisement

I do sometimes yes maybe once or twice every two days.. I only noticed it happened 2 days ago!
    Regarding cleaning with a tooth brush what would this do? I was thinking it would be a problem with the earphone jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I've had this exact problem. The phone thinks that it's docked. Plug it into the charger and give it a min or so. Plug it out. If the problem is still there plug it back in after turning it off. That did it for me. Hasn't happened in a while but it is bloody annoying when it does

If there's accumulated gunk in the dock it can fool the iPhone into thinking its in a dock connection.

Could be two things try putting the the earphone plug in and out of the socket 5 or six times. Some times the little things inside get stuck with dirt and the phone thinks its in head phone mode.
    Or try putting it on the dock and play some music when it's playing pull it back off the dock again the phone thinks its in dock mode and won't play out the speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

wush06 wrote: »
    Could be two things try putting the the earphone plug in and out of the socket 5 or six times. Some times the little things inside get stuck with dirt and the phone thinks its in head phone mode.
    Or try putting it on the dock and play some music when it's playing pull it back off the dock again the phone thinks its in dock mode and won't play out the speaker.

I'd recommend the above and try powering the phone on and off and restarting it by holding the home and power buttons together. One of these will probably fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I had this problem after getting the bottom of my phone wet. It seemed to think it was plugged in to a docking station all the time. I bought myself an iphone 5 but gave it to my aunt who got it fixed in town somewhere (possibly abbey street) for about €40.

Tried last night plugged it into the dock played music took it out and player music it worked for about 2 seconds and went quiet again so just charged it normally And now this morning everything seems back to normal.. Although my phone for some reason decided to restart itself this morning out of nowhere even with still charge but everything is in running order :) thanks for the help everyone!!!

Glad it's back working but something tells me it won't be the last time it happens.

Advertisement