Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft picks thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Paul Scholes

942593_10201162501691349_1760520576_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

37196.jpg

This guy scored goals like there was no tomorrow in the strongest league in Europe at the time.

300 club goals. 56 in 72 for Argentina. He's so good Fiorentina even have a statue for him.

abESDIDadY.jpg

PS: Sorry Trippie. Too good to pass up!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks to G.K this time here is the rd 5 order which will then be reversed for rd6
    There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. Moneymaker
    2. eugeneious
    3. Bounty Hunter
    4. IncognitoMan
    5. ITT-Pat
    6. Copper_pipe
    7. Jax Teller
    8. Trippie
    9. whatawaster
    10. Eli Manning
    11. Knex
    12. Morzadec
    13. Redzerdrog
    14. Bucketybuck
    15. G.K.
    16. Blatter

Timestamp: 2013-05-31 17:57:36 UTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fernando Redondo

redondo_zpse952190b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Tough choice for this round but I'm going with Jaap Stam

Muller-Zico-Mattehws-Stam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Gaetano Scirea

250px-Gaetano_Scirea.png

Heres a very good article about him if anyone is unsure of who he is

http://juventus.theoffside.com/bianconeri/juventus-legends-gaetano-scirea.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My fourth pick is John Charles.

Voted best ever foreign player to play for Juventus, and top class at either centre back or centre forward, I'm delighted to have got him this late into the draft

Maldini
    Puskas
    Hierro
    Charles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was amused earlier to hear people lauding the performances of Stoichkov and Romario at the 1994 world cup. Consider this for a second, as good as those two were, it is not their names that are synonymous with that world cup. It was somebody else who stood head and shoulders above every other player in the world and dragged a team to the very brink of glory. Very few players make a tournament almost totally their own, Maradona did it in 1986, but neither Messi nor Christiano Ronaldo have done it yet.

Well this guy did. A complete legend, a brilliant playmaker, the divine ponytail, Roberto Baggio.

ETA: Team = Desailly - Keane - George Best - Baggio

His Madrid move hasnt gone to plan imo but its from his time at AC Milan and won the 2006–07 FIFPro World Player of the Year and the Ballon d'Or in the same season, when he like his new team mate Messi truely was the best player on the face of the earth. Team BH's 4th signing who completes the spine of my team...Kaka

ballon-d-or-2007-kaka-l-ancien-joueur-du-milan-ac-devient-le-4e-bresilien-sacre-cette-annee-il-remporte-la-ligue-des-champions-ou-il-est-le-meilleur-buteur_66491_w460.jpg

so far: B Moore - P Viera - Kaka - Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Going to go with Pavel Nedved.

Pavel-Nedved-Ballon-dOr.jpg

Team so far: Beckenbauer, Ronaldinho, Rijkaard, Nedved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Daniel Passarella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Im finding it very hard to selct players these days, have certain ones in my mind but the talent that keeps falling to me is too hard to pass up.

I am going to go for the man that invented "the beautiful game" Didi. Brazil's greatest midfielder, played in 3 world cups, won 2 two. Played for the all conquering Real Madrid side winning two european cups before Di Stefano got jealous and forced him out.

Highlights are hard to come by. He will slot in perfectly beside Matthaus and form the best midfield partnership in the draft imo. They will be a solid base for my team to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVLOVOX8y4

When it comes to football I rate Brian Glanville's opinion above all else and he wrote his obituary many years ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2001/may/15/guardianobituaries.football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Gheorge Hagi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Luis Suarez.

No, not him, the Spain and Inter/Barca player. One of the finest deep lying playmakers to grace the game.

200px-Luis_Su%C3%A1rez_Miramontes.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

"The Wall"

José Santamaría

Part of the Real Madrid team to win 3 consecutive European Cups & 5 La Liga in late 50s/early 60s.

Take one of my cb places .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ryan Giggs

1576057_display_image.jpg?1283729013

Claude Makelele.

Infamously insulted by the Real Madrid president(despite every Madrid player insisting he be kept at all costs, including Zidane).

“Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?”

Sure enough, Madrid struggled and Chelsea soared, him at the heart of it all.

It's called 'the Makelele role' for a reason. He's that good. Delighted to have him anchor my midfield and he will allow my 4 attacking players to fully shine.

Won every prize there is to win at club level.

abESW2taj7.jpg

Next pick is Michael Ballack. Best German player in the last 15 years imo and one of the best midfielders of all time.

Michael_Ballack_2009_cropped.jpg

Muller-Zico-Matthews-Stam-Ballack

Most places i've looked up this guys name one term seems to get repeated a lot the greatest left-midfielder / Winger of all time

He is the man who captained the most successful and argueably best Real Madrid team of all time. Noted not only for having great speed (he could run 100 meters in 11 seconds flat and was almost as quick with a ball at his feet)[citation needed], but also for his skills with the ball and his scoring prowess from the midfield position. He won the European Cup a record 6 times with Real Madrid (an unmatched record), scoring 30 goals in 89 European Cup career matches in which he held another record appearing in eight European Cup finals.

his name Francisco Gento

20100525173831977738.jpg

team: B.Moore - P.Viera - Kaka - F.Gento - L.Messi

Edgar Davids

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_ri9wM4oKFFlOzRNcqbGWKiGVZoOJDthIHbCg6B5MJY5Yo4MnFA

• Advertisement

Raul
    raul-calla-al-now-camp.jpg

My next pick shall be Hugo Sanchez Marquez

Team so far : Pele, Charlton, Cannavaro,Hagi, Sanchez

Didier Deschamps

Sorry another long day at work.

Predicted well enough after my last pick and only had two players go off my list both of whom were down the pecking order.

Next pick is a versatile legendary defensive player. Can play left back, centre back or defensive midfielder if I need him. Has won the european championship, world cup, 7 league titles in germany and spain, european cups. Was part of the greatest european international side of all time of the 1970's germany and one of only 4 players to have scored in two different world cup finals. One of the hardest men around and pretty cool hair if i say so myself.

paul-breitner-09.jpg

Is capable of this too

Graeme Souness

Rivelino

on behalf of knex...

djalma-santos-brazil.jpg

Brazil RB Djalma Santos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Bixente Lizarazu.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzvkIvCcm1m7IJZsMZMbCBEbSY_bgZsenYNRFDIM4Ckz7NZFaJYA

A favourite of mine growing up (I was a big fan of that France team), Lizarazu was a brilliant left-back, who was part of the best International side and one of the most dominant European club sides of his era. I plan to have fast and attacking full-backs to provide width, and Cafu and Lizarazu will definitely do that.

Lizarazu didn't score much, but here's a corker of a strike from him anyway:

He was the first player to be World and European champion at the same time at both club and International level, which gives an indication just how successful he was as a player.

Lahm

Genuinely shocked and delighted that this guy hasn't been picked already.

In 1993 Borussia Dortmund signed a young sweeper. They went on to win the next two german leagues before he captained them to a famous European champions league victory in 1997.

He was the German captain as they won Euro 96, where he was named player of the tournament ahead of greats like Klinsman, Hagi or Zidane.

He became the first defender since Beckenbaur in 1972 to win the Ballon d'or, something early picks like Maldini or Baresi never did. Only a world cup winning Cannavaro has won it since, defenders just don't win the Ballon D'or. He did.

As I said, considering some of the lesser players picked already I am genuinely shocked he hasn't been snapped up by somebody, but I am delighted to choose the brilliant Matthias Sammer as my next choice.

image.jpg

• Advertisement

Ruud Krol

398px-Ruud_Krol_1979.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ashley Cole

ashley-cole.jpg

Denis Irwin

MUDenisIrwin.jpg

Zbigniew Boniek

boniek.jpg

Javier Zannetti. The most capped player in Argentine history and as of the 2011–12 season the only non-Italian player to captain a Serie A team. He holds the record for the highest all-time appearances by a non-Italian born player for an Italian club and his 834 official matches for the club put him first in Inter's all-time appearances list.

5 serie A titles. 4 Coppa Italia. 4 Supercoppa Italia. Winner of both the Uefa cup and the Uefa Champions league.

FCInternazionalecaptainJavierZanettiInterMilancaptainJavierZanetti.jpg?a=87

With all the attacking power in these teams fullback is a vital position, so I decided to go for Zanetti now. He is amazingly versatile, and is recognised as being excellent whatever side he plays on, unlike some full backs who can just do a job on the other wing. Right back, left back or even in midfield he is world class in either position.
    He also gives me a lot of flexibility with regards to future picks, happy to take him now, especially the way the good full backs are disappearing.

Team so far
    abETD8IajA.jpg

Liverpools greatest ever player King Kenny Dalglish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Xabi Alonso

Xabi-and-the-World-Cup-xabi-alonso-17324095-500-348.jpg

One of the best passers of his generation. He can play it short, switch the play, or put the team on an immediate counter-attack picking out a long pass. His composure, technique and intelligence on and off the ball make him a great asset for any team.

For me the single biggest reason for Liverpool's demise in 09/10 was Alonso. He was exceptional that season and continued his form at Madrid.

A central part of one of the greatest International sides of all time, Alonso has won basically everything there is to win as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Steven Gerrard.

One of the world's best players when he was at his peak, and one of Liverpool's greatest ever players.

Can play a few positions as well and will add a bit of steel to my side.

On my phone atm so will tidy post up late.

thanks to Trippie this time for the next rounds draw which of course will be reversed for the following round
    Redzerdrog
    Copper_pipe
    Bounty Hunter
    eugeneious
    ITT-Pat
    Trippie
    Eli Manning
    Bucketybuck
    whatawaster
    Morzadec
    Jax Teller
    Blatter
    Moneymaker
    G.K.
    IncognitoMan
    Knex
    Timestamp: 2013-06-03 13:35:28 UTC

Falcao (Brazil)

• Advertisement

Gary Neville

Maldini, Puskas, Hierro, Charles, Souness, Neville

On phone. Choosing another defender as only three tier one guys left I think. Wanted sammer but going to pick another great German defender.

Jurgen kohler

Has won the World Cup, European cup, champions league, Uefa cup, bundesliga, seria a and also was a runner up at the World Cup and European cup. Was integral to the great juventus, Dortmund and German side of the 90s. Links up well with matthaus and glad to have him.

Most centre backs taken have been sweepers. He is a great tackler, good in the air and not afraid to get stuck in.

Franck Ribery .

My next pick is Leovigildo Lins da gama júnior

George Weah

george_weah.jpg

Andriy Shevchenko

Andriy+Shevchenko+AC+Milan.jpg

• Advertisement

He was one of the key players in Brazil's greatest ever side alongside pele, Garrincha and co and Pelé named him in his "top 125 greatest living footballers" in March 2004. He is Nilton Santos and played for only 2 teams in his professional career; Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas and the Brazilian national team collecting 75 caps and scoring 3 goals and yet he is regarded as the best left wingback in the history of the game.

th?id=H.5035592461189302&pid=15.1
    Nickname: The Encyclopedia

Please to be able to pick... Alessandro Del Piero. Juve's recored goalscorer and appearance maker.

4245386-3x4-340x453.jpg

2010_7_7-2010_7_7_16_15_54-jpg-15367.jpg

Carles Puyol. Played close to 700 games. Won and been a major part of every prize you can win in football. He has played all across the back four which makes him invaluable and great value at this stage.

He also has amazing hair.

abET0zaakV.jpg

Vidic

A peak vidic is the perfect partner for baresi in CB

My next pick is Phil neal

• Advertisement
Advertisement