Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft picks thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Full backs are going fast so this pick might annoy some especially given the guys versatility (capable of playing all along both flanks, though normally a full back).

in 2012 he purchased a family holiday home near Dublin, Republic of Ireland and stated that he would be "open to the idea" of playing in Ireland's Airtricity League... peaked your interest about who it is well its Italy & Juventus defender and World cup winner Gianluca Zambrotta who I have been informed is in this pic

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsaJjkdw8nncXflLdbzLQGLwoR-4s6KaShhMqslSEdRQIt8bUL

N.Santos, B.Moore, G.Zambrotta, P.Viera, Kaka, Gento, Messi

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

This was a difficult choice but I'm going to opt for picking Rio Ferdinand. The perfect partner for Jaap Stam imo and was imo at one stage the best player in his position in the world.

Muller-Zico-Matthews-Stam-Ballack-Del Piero-Ferdinand
    _51119485_rio466.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Clarence Seedorf

seedorf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Tough choice as 4 of my potentials have been picked.

Two players I want in particular but have replacements if they get taken.

Very few players in this draft can claim to be the greatest of all time. Lev Yashin can. Part of the great soviet side and consensus best there's ever been. Doesn't meet my criteria of winning a World Cup but then again kleberson won one so sometimes that's not a good judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Almost a cliche at this stage, but I can't believe this guy hasn't been taken already. I even doubted my eyes, and checked the spreadsheet posted in the discussion thread about five times, but amazingly I can't see his name, legendary attacking midfielder and playmaker Socrates.

socratesGetty.jpg

A two footed attacker known for great through passes and vision on the field, I will have him in the inside right position where he will complement the trickery of Best and Baggio perfectly.

Team so far: [IMG][/img]abET3gZacd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My next pick is John Barnes

George Best: "Barnes has the ability to become the best, the most exciting winger in British Soccer since me"

When I look at some of the wingers who have been picked before (some much earlier, some in the last couple of rounds) I really think I'm getting great value at this stage.

For ten seasons in a row Barnes got into double figures in goals scored and was the key creative part of arguably the best Liverpool side ever. He had it all.

Maldini-Puskas-Hierro-Charles-Souness-Neville-Barnes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Bastian Scweinsteiger

201305251644602430384-p2.jpg

Probably the best centre-mid in the world today, Schweinsteiger has it all - amazing passing and vision, ability to score from range, ability to function centrally or out wide, and also excellent off the ball with great pressing, tackling and reading of the game.

Here are some of his best moments from this season:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Gareth Bale .

Has had a great season so he takes my final attacking spot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Thiago Silva

thiago-silva-psg1_zpse4e4e9ec.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Daniel+Alves+Barcelona+v+Levante+UD+La+Liga+NPu50vARESml.jpg

Dani Alves. One of the best attacking full backs of the modern era and possibly all time. Bombs forward like a boss and has been and still is a very important part of the Barcelona side. Don't underestimate his defensive qualities either however.

abET74Jas.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pep Guardiola:

guardiola-player.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Captain fantastic, Bryan Robson.

1214458_display_image.jpg?1320244536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

From 2004 until 2009, he was one of the best players in the world, and in my eyes he is the Premier League's best ever CB - John Terry

John-Terry4.jpg

And to start off the next round. Another player to add some steel to my side and let the likes of Gerrard and Ronaldinho go to work, the madman himself, Stefan Effenberg.

tromaktiko.jpg

Frank Lampard

23277-lsh.jpg

My team

abET8MIae2.jpg

Elias Figueroa

figueroa.jpg

Never saw him play, but his record speaks for itself. Considered the best Chilean player ever, voted South American Player of the Year 3 times in a row, between Pele and Zico no less, and multiple winner of Uruguay, Brazil and Chile's player of the year awards.

Supposedly 'noted for his elegant style of play, his calmness in the centre of defence and his ability to cut out opposition attacks and immediately launch counterattacks from the back', though I just pinched the quote from wiki.

Should partner Krol well.

abET8TgalC.jpg

robertoayalavalencia.jpg

Roberto Ayala. Best defender in the world at his pomp. Brave, quick and read the game like a champ. Almost 120 caps for Argentina and Valencias most important player when they were knocking on the door of the CL and winning titles.

abET89famy.jpg

Paul McGrath

PMG.jpg

Lucio

• Advertisement

I'm going to go with a player who, in his peak, is the best goalkeeper of all time in my opinion. Not many keepers get near the Balon d'Or but Buffon came 2nd in 2006.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQYMUylj3uGayuJ_ojBbjriiPt3Nis2bTuB_qjhZ6nTzyC351I

Buffon has everything you want as a goalkeeper and has made some amazing saves. He's incredibly vocal and really inspires the defence in front of him. Having played a large chunk of his career with Thuram can't harm either.

Here are some of his 10 best saves:

This how my team is shaping up:

abEUiUUapr.jpg

Rui Costa

Beautiful player.

Team: Maldini, Puskas, Hierro, Charles, Souness, Neville, Barnes, Rui Costa

Not many fullbacks win player of the year, but Andreas Brehme did just that in Serie A, 1989. Another genuinely two footed player, he was noted for exceptional ability at free kicks and crossing, as well as taking penalties, and will be a potent weapon for my team.

One of only three defenders named on the world cup 1990 allstar team, the others were Baresi and Maldini which illustrates the quality he was matching.

Winner of German and Italian titles, the Uefa cup, and of course a world cup winner, he would have the full set only for defeats for club and country in European cup finals.
    brehme.jpg

[IMG][/img]abEUjtdahu.jpg

Kompany

Going to go for a left winger who revolutionised the game, his, pace, power and technical ability were unlike anything seen in the game before. He helped modernise the game and was one of its first true superstars. Ronaldo also modelled his hair after him at one point. Jonah lomu

Francesco totti, best player in Italy over last 15 years.can play anywhere, all time goal scorer for Roma, captain, World Cup winner, all round nice guy unless you're a certain Milan striker.

Can someone message who's up next for me please

Sergio Ramos

sergio_ramos_web.jpg

• Advertisement

Delighted he made it this far. My pick is Marco Tardelli. One of the best defensive midfielders the game has ever seen.

Marco_tardelli.jpg

My team so far:

abEUnkuaoG.jpg

To Partner the great Bobby Moore I want a modern classic so why not the guy that if you asked most people what 1 CB they would like their club to sign i'd wager most would pick (yep more than already picked Silva)... that guy is of course Mats Hummels.

th?id=H.4738200379263271&pid=15.1

N.Santos, B.Moore, M.Hummels, G.Zambrotta, P.Viera, Kaka, F.Gento, L.Messi

thanks to Jax Teller this time for the draw for the next 2 rounds
    eugeneious
    Bounty Hunter
    Trippie
    Knex.
    Moneymaker
    Blatter
    Eli Manning
    Bucketybuck
    Copper_pipe
    IncognitoMan
    Jax Teller
    redzerdrog
    ITT-Pat
    whatawaster
    G.K
    Morzadec

Timestamp: 2013-06-05 12:51:40 UTC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Giorgio cheillini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

peter schmeichel

• Advertisement

Going with the best goalkeeper over the lest 10 years and the best I've ever seen. Iker Casillas.

Iker-Casillas-Real-Madrid-iker-casillas-33276589-500-521.jpg

Muller-Zico-Matthews-Stam-Ballack-Del Piero-Ferdinand-Tardelli-Casillas

With a lot of Goalies being picked why not have a looksie at who the International Federation of Football History & Statistics say is the best GK left... Their no.2 GK of all time, ahead of already picked Schmeichael, Casillas or Buffon is my no.1, a former world cup winner and a team mate to one of my CBs, I give you Gordon Banks

(that save vs Pele)
    gordon-banks-save-on-pele.jpg

Banks, N.Santos, B.Moore, M.Hummels, G.Zambrotta, P.Viera, F.Gento, Kaka, Messi

This has beena hard pick, with not getting another pick for a while.

Going for the best striker of the last 10 years imo.I think better than Sheva and Weah also. Won 4 champions leagues, although i only count three, scorer of almsot 300 goals and incredibly quick. Will fit in perfectly into my team. Samuel Etoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

One of my favourite players growing up and one of the best goalies of all time - Oliver Kahn

Another captain and leader to add to the many in my team so far.

oliver_kahn.jpg

1601763_w2.jpg

Unlikeable twat he may be, there's no denying Sergio Busquets class. Good reading of the game, strong in the tackle and excellent technically. He has already won every major prize in the game at 25 years old and has been a vital part of the Barcelona side for 5 years now. Busquets rounds off my midfield and along with Xavi and Alves bombing forward, will give my team a cohesiveness and familiarity that should serve me well.

abEUKpYahS.jpg

Edwin van der Sar

van.jpg

Jorginho

I had always wanted this player in, but some of the recent discussions made me doubt myself a little. Maybe to be safe I should go for a lesser modern player, just so people will know who he actually is? Maybe I should just pick this years golden boy, pretend he is as good as anybody?

In the end I said **** it. Its a legends draft, not a game of championship manager. And there can be no doubt at all that my pick is an enduring legend of the game, the brilliant Duncan Edwards. To have played so few games yet still have such a legacy over fifty years later speaks volumes, just read some of the testamonials about him!

The great Bobby Charlton is quoted as saying
    He was the only player who made me feel inferior
    Tommy Doherty:
    You can keep all your Bests, Peles and Maradonas, Duncan Edwards was the greatest of them all
    and Terry Venables:
    He was the greatest player I ever seen

200px-DuncanEdwards1.jpg

Of course, not only is he one of the worlds greatest ever footballers, but he is exactly the type of player I need for my team. My formation is based upon a very solid defensive core with two box to box midfielders allowing the flair players to do their thing. Edwards will partner Roy Keane in midfield, and I defy anybody to pretend those two wont trample over anybody who gets in their way.
    abEUN0radT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Julio Cesar

On he phone so can't search the thread, if he's gone let me know

Brazil right back Maicon

• Advertisement

Manuel Neuer .

Best keeper in the world for me .

220px-Manuel_Neuer,_Germany_national_football_team_(01).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The man who orchestrated Brazils world cup win in 1970 will be a perfect deep lying playmaker for my team Gérson

David Beckham

My 9th pick is Ian Rush

One of the great goalscorers in European football history. In his true golden period for Liverpool he scored 230 goals in 6 seasons. He won 2 European cups, 5 English leagues and 3 FA Cups.

Team so far: Maldini-Puskas-Hierro-Charles-Souness-Neville-Barnes-Rui Costa-Rush

Nandor Hidegkuti.

The deep-lying forward instrumental in the Magical Mygars' thrashing of England in the 1950's. Got a hat-trick in the first game, and one in the return too. Unquestionably world-class in his time.

48791_ori_nandor_hidegkuti.jpg

Ruud van Nistelrooy

ruud-van-nistelrooy-man-united.jpg

The perfect striker for my team - I don't feel I need a complete striker, just someone who can get on the end of things and score goals and few did that better than Ruud. He's the 3rd highest scorer in Champions League history, but when you look at the amount of games he played, Messi is really the only player who can boast a better scoring record in Europe's top competition. 60 goals in 88 CL games is very impressive.

At both United and Madrid he had a goal rate well above the 1 in 2 that we usually consider to be very good for a striker.

He has the intelligence, movement and good touch to get on to Laudrups throughballs, and while defenders are worried about Maradona, RVN should be well capable of knocking in any scraps. Good in the air and lethal in the box too so will make good use of any crosses coming in from Cafu and Lizarazu.

Had a couple of options here, but I've gone for a player with a fantastic record, and a player part of maybe the greatest defence ever seen at club football.

Considering the high praise Maldini and Baresi receive, Costacurta couldn't have been too bad himself to be a consistent part of that great defence. He won 7 Serie A titles and 5 Champions Leagues. An important part of a dominant side for about 20 years, so he should be a solid option to partner Thuram.

AlessandroDM2105_468x729.jpg

Heh, I guess I'll be completing that legendary AC Milan backline. I pick Mauro Tassotti, a very good right back who was part of that strong defense for many years. Nicknamed 'Djalma Santos', that was a reflection of how good he was, to be up there with someone many consider the best RB of all time.

Mauro%20Tassotti%20a%20San%20Siro.jpg

I'm really plundering the legendary Liverpool sides of the 70s/80s now

(They did win 4 European cups in 8 years - an almost unthinkable feat nowadays, and they probably would have won more were it not for Heysel)

Classy centre-half Alan Hansen, with over 600 appearances for Liverpool, completes my outfield 10.

abEUTdhapj.jpg

• Advertisement

Sol Campbell

Advertisement