Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft picks thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Sorry on the fone so didnt get pm

Jose comacho

Can someone pm the next guy please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Wim Suurbier

Part of the dominant Ajax team of the 60s/70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Emlyn Hughes.

Left back for the 70s Liverpool side

emlyn_hughes_1968.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Leonel Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Like many, I will be playing one up front, a goal scorer to take advantage of the many chances created by the likes of Best and Baggio. To play on his own up front I will need the complete striker, somebody who is a world class finisher and goal poacher, but also somebody with the pace to create his own chances, and the power to mix it with tough defenders like Charles or Breitner.

Luckily for me the complete striker is still available, Alan Shearer. I don't need to wax lyrical about Shearer, if you want to call yourself a football fan then you already know who was the most feared striker in the premier league era, the one player Manchester United fans regret missing out on, the man who scored 30+ goals a season while being supplied by journeymen wingers like Stuart Ripley and Jason Wilcox.

If you are still a teenager and didn't get to see Shearer in his pomp then consider one thing. The highest ever Premier league goalscorer is not earlier picks Thierry Henry or Ruud Van Nistlerooy, it is Alan Shearer.

alan-shearer-758546338-1354486.jpg

My current team:
    [IMG][/img]abEVe4NabR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Schnellinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Radamel Falcao

142 goals in his 177 appearances in Europe. Scored, won and got motm in two Europa League finals and got a hattrick again Chelsea in the Super Cup. Scores regularly with his left, right and head and has an uncanny ability to score from almost impossible situations.

F-RadamelFalcaoGarcia-1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

here is the draw for the final round that I made earlier and posted in the other thread, It's the order for the last round which will follow on from the final few picks in the order currently posted in the OP of this thread (going in reverse order).
    Morzadec
    Copper_pipe
    Jax Teller
    Bucketybuck
    Eli Manning
    Bounty Hunter
    IncognitoMan
    redzerdrog
    G.K
    eugeneious
    ITT-Pat
    Blatter
    Knex.
    whatawaster
    Trippie
    Moneymaker

Timestamp: 2013-06-08 11:48:59 UTC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Patrice_Evra_20120611.jpg

Patrice Evra, best LB in the world for a few years in his pomp. Went off the boil for a while but has come back to form this season. Played close to 300 games for Man U, numerous titles, a CL medal and plenty of individual awards. Can attack and defend and he won't be intimidated by anyone.

abEVucaagV.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

Perfect forward for my team. One of the best in Europe at his peak and really was a complete forward.

Delighted he lasted this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Claudio gentile, I believe maradona is best ever so to have a player that has marked out him out of the game then all the better. Gentile reads the game well, hacks the sh1t out of everyone and always gets stuck in

Another world cup winning captain for team Bounty Hunter. He faced critics for his un-Brazillian style of play but like with that side his job here will be to give those ahead of him both the freedom and the ball to play with through his great defensive play, so good it was that he is almost always in every best DMs of all time list. He is of course Carlos Caetano Bledorn Verri, aka Dunga

dunga.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

My pick is Jimmy Armfield. On my phone so if someone could pm the next guy that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Robert Pires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bruno conti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Silvio Marzolini

Can someone pm the next guy I'm out on the piss .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

One final legend to round off my legends team. Dino Zoff.

World cup winning captain, European championship winner, winner of six Serie A titles, Uefa cup, and holder of the record for longest stretch without conceding a goal in international football, my goalkeeping spot is in a legends hands.

1814.jpg

My final Team:abEVNSxabM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Jennings

0000007999%5B1%5D.peyroteotaasculo.jpg

Few will have heard about him, but Fernando Peyroteo is the player with the highest goals per game ratio (1.69 goals per game) in the history of football. Playing for Sporting he scored an incredible 331 goals in 187 games and simply put was a goal machine, or as fans of sensible soccer would say a goal scoring superstar hero.

To give you an idea here is one blog post about him: Peyroteo was one-of-kind player that was great in bulk force, he was a force of nature without anyone capable of stopping his tremendous physical power. Not only he was strong, he had a very strong shooting as well always making the keepers tremble upon his presence in the last 30 metres. He scored from everywhere and from heading too, he used physical advantage to gain position and then head towards the net. He was also very determined

Team BH: abEVPtqaoy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

David Seaman

A fantastic goalkeeper, Heres a short video of some of his saves

Team IncognitoMan:

abEVPPXafg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

sorry just got the pm to say it was my pick

I hope he isnt gone already but my final pick will be Argentinian midfielder Diego Simeone who was record caps holder for his country when he retired and is great value for the my last pick in the this draft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Earmarked this keeper from the very beginning, as I didn't think I'd be early enough for those generally regarded to be the first tier (Yashin, Banks, Zoff & perhaps the Great Dane). Delighted to pick him up, an unquestionably world-class keeper. Sepp Maier.

maier.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

My next pick is Gio Van Bronckhorst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Peter Shilton

Peter-Shilton-001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dennis Bergkamp

hol-bergkamp_zps8b90b13a.jpg

abEV9hValY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Got worried when I saw all the talk about him in the discussion thread as I thought I'd missed him being picked up, but thankfully I can choose Stuart Pearce as my final draft pick.

article-1022690-0211abcb0000044d-802_306x443.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My final pick is Barcelona and Spain goalkeeping legend Andoni Zubizarreta

abEV9QGaml.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

This was a really tough choice for me. Between an arsenal left winger, juan veron and the one I have decided to go for. El Pibe Carlos Valderrama. He didnt look like a footballer, but by god could he pass the ball around. Was one of my favourite players growing up and when I lived in Colombia the last while his legend only got bigger. He seemed impossible to get the ball off, much like messi seems these days, apparently it was becasue he was so wide and stocky that players couldnt get near his feet. He is Colombia's greatest ever player, a phenominal midfielder and can spray the ball around like th ebest of them. Will link up with Matthaus nicely.

He also had great hair

Carlos_Valderrama_300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

9-SATw-10.jpg

The goal scoring goal keeper Jose Chilavert. Scored over 60 goals(Including 8 for his country, 4 of which helped his country reach the 2002 World cup) during his career however he was just as good as keeping goals out.

He's widely regarded as one of the best if not the best keeper to ever come out of South America. South American Player of the Year in 1996 and 3 time South American Goalkeeper of the year.

Also, he was totally bat **** ****ing mental, even compared to other mental keepers down the years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement