Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

• 27-05-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭

And you thought the footie was over for the summer! Maybe a bit early for a thread but i always enjoy this little tournament myself, really gets you looking forward to the follwing summers world cup.

Fixtures are..

1 15/06 16:00 Brasilia Brazil Japan
    2 16/06 16:00 Rio De Janeiro Mexico Italy
    5 19/06 16:00 Fortaleza Brazil Mexico
    6 19/06 19:00 Recife Italy Japan
    9 22/06 16:00 Salvador Italy Brazil
    10 22/06 16:00 Belo Horizonte Japan Mexico
    GROUP B
    Match Date - Time Venue
    3 16/06 19:00 Recife Spain Uruguay
    4 17/06 16:00 Belo Horizonte. Tahiti Nigeria
    7 20/06 16:00 Rio De Janeiro Spain Tahiti
    8 20/06 19:00 Salvador Nigeria Uruguay
    11 23/06 16:00 Fortaleza Nigeria Spain
    12 23/06 16:00 Recife Uruguay. Tahiti

Provisional squads, to be wittled down to 23 man squads soon enough

spain
    Spain squad: Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool), Valdes (Barcelona); Alba (Barcelona), Albiol (Real Madrid), Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Monreal (Arsenal), Pique (Barcelona), Ramos (Real Madrid); Alonso (Real Madrid), Benat (Real Betis), Busquets (Barcelona), Cazorla (Arsenal), Fabregas (Barcelona), Garcia (Manchester City), Iniesta (Barcelona), Martinez (Bayern Munich), Mata (Chelsea), Navas (Sevilla), Pedro (Barcelona), Silva (Manchester City) Xavi (Barcelona); Torres (Chelsea), Soldado (Valencia), Villa (Barcelona).

italy
    Full squad: Goalkeepers: Agazzi (Cagliari), Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Antonelli (Genoa), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Sciglio (Milan), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Bonaventura (Atalanta), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Sampdoria);

Attackers: Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gilardino (Bologna), Giovinco (Juventus), Osvaldo (Roma), Sau (Cagliari).

brazil hosts..

Goalkeepers
    Diego Cavalieri Fluminense Jefferson Botafogo Julio Cesar QPR

Defenders
    Dani Alves Barcelona
    Filipe Luis Vasco da Gama
    Marcelo Real Madrid
    Jean Fluminense
    David Luiz Chelsea
    Dante Bayern Munich
    Rever Atletico Mineiro
    Thiago Silva Paris Saint-Germain
    Midfielders

Fernando Gremio
    Jadson Sao Paulo
    Hernanes Lazio
    Luiz Gustavo Bayern Munich
    Oscar Chelsea
    Paulinho Corinthians
    Bernard Atletico Mineiro

Attackers
    Fred Fluminense
    Hulk Zenit St Petersburg
    Lucas Moura Paris Saint-Germain
    Neymar Santos
    Leandro Damiao Internacional

Cant find the squads for nigeria,japan,uraguay,mexico or......taihiti, yeah. But the notable inclusions of interest to here i imagine will be uniteds kagawa and hernandez, chelseas moses and mikel and liverpools suarez and coates. Think thats everybody.
    Notabale exclusions are kaka,rafael,ramieres for brazil, scolari with a lot of brazilian league players. Perhaps torres inclusion is a surprise for some, negrodo drops out.

Looking forward to it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No DeGea over Valdes or Reina is a bit surprising IMO. This tournament is perfect to introduce him to some game time, hes going to be Spains long term number 1 so leaving him out is a tad silly IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tahiti FTW obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Isn't it 8pm and 11pm our time for the kick offs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

GavRedKing wrote: »
    No DeGea over Valdes or Reina is a bit surprising IMO. This tournament is perfect to introduce him to some game time, hes going to be Spains long term number 1 so leaving him out is a tad silly IMO.

U21 championship is on in israel at the same time so i guess hell be off to that, id agree its time to start phasing him in for one of reina or valdes at this stage.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Isn't it 8pm and 11pm our time for the kick offs?

Not sure sorry, just copied and pasted the schedule from fifas website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Confed Cup, U-20 WC and U-21 Euros are all on the same time, it'll be a fun few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

klose wrote: »
    And you thought the footie was over for the summer! Maybe a bit early for a thread but i always enjoy this little tournament myself, really gets you looking forward to the follwing summers world cup.

Fixtures are..
    1 15/06 20:00 Brasilia Brazil Japan
    2 16/06 20:00 Rio De Janeiro Mexico Italy
    5 19/06 20:00 Fortaleza Brazil Mexico
    6 19/06 23:00 Recife Italy Japan
    9 22/06 20:00 Salvador Italy Brazil
    10 22/06 20:00 Belo Horizonte Japan Mexico
    GROUP B
    Match Date - Time Venue
    3 16/06 23:00 Recife Spain Uruguay
    4 17/06 20:00 Belo Horizonte. Tahiti Nigeria
    7 20/06 20:00 Rio De Janeiro Spain Tahiti
    8 20/06 23:00 Salvador Nigeria Uruguay
    11 23/06 20:00 Fortaleza Nigeria Spain
    12 23/06 20:00 Recife Uruguay. Tahiti

With time updated to our time

Also before this there are some World Cup 2014 Qualification rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How did Tahiti qualify?

Really looking forward to this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

very strong squads which is great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Usually tend to miss the Confed Cup, so will be nice to get to watch it this time around. Would expect Brazil to take this serious enough considering it will be friendlies from then after until the WC begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    How did Tahiti qualify?

Really looking forward to this tournament.

Odds-on favs NZ got beat 2-0 by New Caladonia in the semi-final, NZ squad looked to be short a couple of their top players but by all accounts it was one of those games where the fav did everything but score.
    Tahiti came up the easier side of the draw and beat New Caledonia in the final.

Agree about looking forward to this immensely, international football under the bright sun on lushious green South American pitches at midnight our time is one of the best things in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Who will have the coverage? Eurosports?

Lars1916 wrote: »

Eurosport are covering the U-20 WC, don't see them listed for any Confederations Cup games. Not sure if you have access to German TV at your place but Sport1 are showing all the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Lars1916 wrote: »

I am sure I saw RTE saying they had coverage.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/tv/01/96/02/51/fifaconfederationscupbrazil2013.pdf

That link confirms it. And other countries too. The BBC are also listed.

Did some googling. BBC 1 & BBC 3 will have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Thanks for the updates about the coverage, gonna watch a few matches then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Osvaldo's dropped from the italy squad for criticising Andreazzoli (Roma coach) publicly - after the final whistle in the coppa italia final then later on twitter after Andreazzoli commented on him

no nonsense with Prandelli :pac:

http://www.football-italia.net/34724/lunatic-osvaldo-hot-water-again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Agree about looking forward to this immensely, international football under the bright sun on lushious green South American pitches at midnight our time is one of the best things in football.

I'll be watching it, will bring me back to my teenage days watching Mexico '86 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bayern are not best pleased with the Brazilian and German Football associations.

They had to send Dante and Gustavo to the Brazilian Team today, even though they have the German Cup Final on Saturday. Brazilians wouldn't agree for them to fly over after the cup final, and were demanding for them to be there by Saturday, or they would be permanently axed from the National team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Will RTE be showing all the games though or just highlights of some? If I recall the last one correctly they only showed the semi's and final. Some group games were confined to highlights after the sunday game and other programmes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

put 20 euro on spain u21 to win u21 euros and spain to win the confeds..hope i win :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://football-italia.net/35080/damiao-out-confederations-cup
    Leandro Damiao is out of the Confed Cup, they have called up Jo as a replacement. The guy who used be at CSKA and City, he's at Athletico Miniero now.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Top goalscorer market:

4f19904f8f05f8f59160269e5c64972c.png

Wasn't Nando top scorer in Euros?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Impossible to look past Spain in this tournament. That's a very impressive squad and their tiki taka remains the strongest force in international football.

Impossible to look past Spain in this tournament. That's a very impressive squad and their tiki taka remains the strongest force in international football.

Actually I'm not sure what the conditions will be like in Brazil, but if it's scorching hot or saturated humidity tiki taka will definitely be a big asset for them. It'll wear teams down a lot more mentally and physically than it would in cooler and less humid climates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Excited by this, its always a nice little tournament, I\d like to see Japan do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

This has to be the most uneven draw in the history of the competition.

Group A fraught with danger, think any of the sides in this group would take 2nd in group B after Spain. Uruguay have been really terrible since they've won the Copa, a side that was famed for it's hunger and commitment during that competition and previous world cup are anything but now and so incohesive now. Nigeria are without Moses who was arguably the player of the tournament in the ACON and Eminike who also stood out as well as some other high profile omissions, and lol Tahiti.

There's plenty of goals on offer for Spain here and I'd be surprised if the top goalscorer didn't come from their side. The value bet is undoubtedly Pedro at 25/1. He's scored 10 goals in the last 11 games for his country, form that's made him hard to leave out of the side of late unlike others.

Brazil despite being at home have to be a lay in the outright. I like the 10/1 for a Spain v Italy final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

You have changed your tone, normally all we hear is criticism from you towards spanish sides.

You have changed your tone, normally all we hear is criticism from you towards spanish sides.

Sarcasm wont get you anywhere. It's a remarkable squad, a remarkable football nation playing a remarkable brand of football.

• Advertisement

Sarcasm wont get you anywhere. It's a remarkable squad, a remarkable football nation playing a remarkable brand of football.

Thanks eamonn

Thanks eamonn

Let's talk again when the Confederations Cup is over and we can discuss whose lifting the trophy. It's entirely possible that Spain under 21 and under 20 enjoying success this Summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Juan Mata is 50/1 to finish top goalscorer.

Now it's said he might not play all games, but should feature in most - and has a very good chance of nabbing a couple of goals against Nigeria and Tahiti.

Most bookmakers are paying out for top goalscorer, second top, and third top at 1/4.

You could do a lot worse than back Mata the Machine - Torres odds too short for me.

Looking forward to the tournament though - all games live on RTE2?

Spain V Uruguay will be on BBC 1HD on Sunday night

They are showing Brazil vs Japan and Spain vs Uruguay on a delay on rte, that might be due to the GAA though.

GTR63 wrote: »
    They are showing Brazil vs Japan and Spain vs Uruguay on a delay on rte, that might be due to the GAA though.

Spain game has an 11pm kick off so cant be much of a GAA delay in that

• Advertisement

Spain game has an 11pm kick off so cant be much of a GAA delay in that

The Sunday Game is on at 10 so there will be a 30 min delay seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

And you thought the footie was over for the summer!

It's not though. We're playing Shelbourne this Friday in Dalymount Park.

You're more than welcome to come. ;)

Let's talk again when the Confederations Cup is over and we can discuss whose lifting the trophy. It's entirely possible that Spain under 21 and under 20 enjoying success this Summer too.

Saying spain are going to win is similar to saying superman is going to beat the bad guy in the new movie. Its a bit easy to predict. I would like to see someone catch them out. Maybe a mcshane powerheader in the ireland game will take them down to earth (whether it will be casillas or forde that will have to save it is another question)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Am I the only one who sees this competition as pointless?

Surely one major competition every 2 years is sufficient. The world cup sorts out the best national side in the world every 4 years and (with the exception of Africa which seems to be every 2 weeks) continental cups in the intervening years is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

I'm delighted it's on, some great players will be on show and should keep us entertained nicely through June.

Can see Spain winning it but would like Japan to do well :)

• Advertisement

Surely one major competition every 2 years is sufficient. The world cup sorts out the best national side in the world every 4 years and (with the exception of Africa which seems to be every 2 weeks) continental cups in the intervening years is fine.

Its more a money making excuse for FIFA hidden under a test run for next years World Cup. They need to at least test the tv picture quality as that Brazil V England game last week was shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The Tahitian team was the first to arrive in Brazil for the Confederations Cup, one week prior to the tournament's beginning. The squad is mostly comprised of semi-professionals, which while in Tahiti only train with the national team at night. Striker Marama Vahirua is both the only player with a full-time contract, and the sole player in a team outside Tahiti, Panthrakikos F.C. of Greece. A.S. Tefana and A.S. Dragon, the latest two winners of the Tahiti First Division, dominated the roster with 15 players.During the tournament, Tahiti is headquartered in the city of its first game, Belo Horizonte. For preparations, they had a friendly with the reserves of local team América Mineiro, losing 1-0

Taken from wiki, lolzer. They're gonna get mullered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

MarkY91 wrote: »
    put 20 euro on spain u21 to win u21 euros and spain to win the confeds..hope i win :D

so glad i did this bet. was so close to putting 50 on though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Starting today :)

Brazil v japan with an 8 o clock k/o on bbc3, delayed coverage starts at 9 on rte2 because of teh gaa (whos gonna be watching wicklow v meath anyways ;) )
    Motd is on for 40 minutes at 10.30 tonight too if anyone fancies some highlights.

Should be a good little match, havent been all that impressed with brazil from watching a few of their friendlies this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brazil v japan with an 8 o clock k/o on bbc3, delayed coverage starts at 9 on rte2 because of teh gaa (whos gonna be watching wicklow v meath anyways ;) )
    Motd is on for 40 minutes at 10.30 tonight too if anyone fancies some highlights.

Should be a good little match, havent been all that impressed with brazil from watching a few of their friendlies this year.

Japan Soccer team sacrifice greatly for honour to people of the Japanese nation imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Although on the RTE Website, RTE are claiming to be live.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I'm actually looking forward to this tournament. Will Tahiti exceed all expectations and shock the world by doing a Greece? (a 1994 World Cup Greece that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Nigeria haven't arrived yet and won't arrive till tomorrow . Arguing over bonuses or something like that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Nigeria haven't arrived yet and won't arrive till tomorrow . Arguing over bonuses or something like that .

Stephen McGuinness up to his old tricks again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I know RTÉ are showing deferred coverage of the game tonight, will it be streamed from the start on the RTÉ Player though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement