Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Didn't get to see Tahiti play tonight, but based on their performance tonight and how good Spain were last night, can anyone actually see Spain hitting double figures?

Doubt it, tbh. Spain have a habit of going 2 or 3 goals to the good and then losing interest in scoring, in favour of running up the passing stats.

That said, Nigeria should have had the guts of 20, without being good.

Hope Tahiti have a good showing, anyhow. If anyone who isn't Spanish is cheering on Spain tomorrow night, they are serious spoil sports.
    Also Ronnie Whelan just showed how much of a poor pundit he is. Saying Taihiti shouldn't be there and someone like Ireland or England shouldn't be there?

In fairness, they are completely out of their depth. But telling them "we know you qualified, but you aren't actually good enough, so sod off" is 1) poor form, and 2) setting a bad precedent.

Like, if by some freak string of results, San Marino would up at World Cup 2018, FIFA could then go, nah lads, we'll have France instead. Though now that I said it, Blatter and co have a bit of a track record when it comes to screwing over the smaller countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Couple of Spaniards I know will be supporting Tahiti. They'd rather this game wasn't even taking place. If Spain feel ruthless enough Tahiti could be cut to tiny ribbons. Personally, I think FIFA should have a rule that if a team gains a lead of ten goals the game ends regardless of time remaining.

Mexico to upset Brazil tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Jernal wrote: »
    Couple of Spaniards I know will be supporting Tahiti. They'd rather this game wasn't even taking place. If Spain feel ruthless enough Tahiti could be cut to tiny ribbons. Personally, I think FIFA should have a rule that if a team gains a lead of ten goals the game ends regardless of time remaining.

Mexico to upset Brazil tonight?

Doubt it, they were hopeless against Italy and last few matches I watched them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I don't subscribe to this idea of Spain generally getting 1-0 and then just passing the ball around for the rest of the game. For instance against Ireland recently they were pretty relentless from start to finish. Ireland's complete refusal to play for (I'd say) probably 85 of the 90 minutes was the only thing that kept the score down, not Spain deciding to take it easy on us.

I'd say if Tahiti turn up and play Spain in the same manner they did against Nigeria (and it seems entirely possible considering how tactically niave they appeared) then Spain will easily score 10. Tahiti should just accept this game is lost and play purely to keep the score down, but something tells me they won't and if that is the case then it'll be a field day for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

roanoke wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to this idea of Spain generally getting 1-0 and then just passing the ball around for the rest of the game. For instance against Ireland recently they were pretty relentless from start to finish. Ireland's complete refusal to play for (I'd say) probably 85 of the 90 minutes was the only thing that kept the score down, not Spain deciding to take it easy on us.

I'd say if Tahiti turn up and play Spain in the same manner they did against Nigeria (and it seems entirely possible considering how tactically niave they appeared) then Spain will easily score 10. Tahiti should just accept this game is lost and play purely to keep the score down, but something tells me they won't and if that is the case then it'll be a field day for Spain.

What??

Tahiti should most definitely try and score. Theyre going into the tournament being the absolute underdogs. Its one thing to score against Nigeria but against Spain would make it headline news. Minimising loss is just pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ahh Spain let Renia play in midfield he did well there for a half for Liverpool a couple of pre seasons ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What channel is Brazil v Mexico on? Can't find it on the BBC website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

MagicIRL wrote: »

RTE 2 as well, looks to be on time today and not an hour behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Ronnie looking well, casual, leg spread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Fred 6/4 on the exchanges to score anytime, you'd fancy him up against Rodriguez here.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good stuff from Neymar there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Neymar has started well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MagicIRL wrote: »

Here's the (legal) BBC link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22963099

Fucking lovely

Neymar!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great finish by Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Some finish there! Cracking volley from Neymar.

• Advertisement

Great finish from Neymar.

All those people who watched him twice and decided he was completely overhyped have some re-thinking to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Some strike

Mexico's defending is awful.

Shot or cross from Alves?

That was a swirvey chip, looked really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Is Fred really any good and do Brazil really not have a centre-forward who is better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Morzadec wrote: »
    Is Fred really any good and do Brazil really not have a centre-forward who is better?
    Damiao is injured and Jo is on the bench. Has Pato career nosedived or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Damiao is the other main striker but apparently he had a poor season last year. Fred is meant to have a good enough record. I imagine most lf their goals come from the wings with neymar/hulk/lucas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Excellent by Neymar. He's an incredible athlete.

Few players can run that fast and have any control over the ball. Probably only Messi really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I've seen 10 mins of RTE's coverage so far and Houghton hasn't yet said what some player should have done. Is he not feeling well?

Why is it so bad to have blood on the jersey? HIV Aids spreading worries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Pinch your nose ffs:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Get the man a tampon and play ball ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

This cup has been very enjoyable to watch so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Surprised dante dosent start for brazil

Why was Ray whining about Santos' shot? He nearly had it on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

From what I heard, Borussia Dortmund is interested in him. Price tag 12 million Euro. Don't know, if he's worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Neeson wrote: »
    Why is it so bad to have blood on the jersey? HIV Aids spreading worries?

Hep is easier spread afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Roddy Collins on OTB saying Luiz "rightly so for playing on with broken nose, players too soft nowadays" :pac:

Ronnie looking well. Open top button. Leg spread.

Casual. Doing well tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I really like Richie Sadlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Roddy Collins on OTB saying Luiz "rightly so for playing on with broken nose, players too soft nowadays" :pac:

Yeah right, football is a men's sport :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Soooooooooo. Any money making tips for the second half?

Mark Lawrenson
    "I'm sorry but this was coming from the first minute. The goal was all about technique. We saw his goal in the first game against Japan and this was just as good. It's just a pity he won't get in the Barcelona team!"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

miralize wrote: »
    Mark Lawrenson

:pac:

Lawrenson is a proper bloody troll.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Will Messi score less goals with Neymar in the team? :P

Gbear wrote: »
    Lawrenson is a proper bloody troll.

Worst commentator around by quite a bit I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Will Messi score less goals with Neymar in the team? :P

No chance! Neymar still a good way behind messi. Be interesting to see how he develops in Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Are Brazil that starved of strikers that they have only a choice of Jo or Fred?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

DUBACC wrote: »
    No chance! Neymar still a good way behind messi. Be interesting to see how he develops in Barcelona.

I meant any time Neymar gets the ball he'll try and score himself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I meant any time Neymar gets the ball he'll try and score himself :P

Ha! Very true that.

Also wonder how will get on in a country where not everyone wants to have his babies!!

Advertisement