Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

games to be abandoned

What games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Football’s Confederations Cup could be abandoned because of the protests which have swept Brazil, local media said on Friday.
    CBN radio and the website of the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper, both respected, mainstream media, carried reports speculating that the eight-team tournament, considered a dry run for next year’s World Cup, was in danger.

http://football.thestar.com.my/2013/06/21/protests-could-halt-confederations-cup-brazilian-media/

Apparently the possibility of a cancellation has been discussed in media, and suposedly one of the 8 teams is worried about safety.

I've no idea if the newspapers and journalists involved are actually good sources, or if they are the equivalent of Paul Hyland and the Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I wonder which team has made sounding to drop out? I'd guess it's Nigeria. They could have the 2010 Togo attack in mind and I've heard they're already fighting with their federation over bonuses, so I can't imagine they're even too thrilled to be out there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

roanoke wrote: »
    I wonder which team has made sounding to drop out? I'd guess it's Nigeria. They could have the 2010 Togo attack in mind and I've heard they're already fighting with their federation over bonuses, so I can't imagine they're even too thrilled to be out there anyway.

Apparently Italy wants to leave immediately. They brought their whole families over to Brazil, and are worried about security of their families now.

According to some recent news a cancellation of the tournament is a big possibility, which IMO would also endanger next years WC. Shared WC in England and Germany anyone? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

DubDani wrote: »
    Apparently Italy wants to leave immediately. They brought their whole families over to Brazil, and are worried about security of their families now.

According to some recent news a cancellation of the termination is a big possibility, which IMO would also endanger next years WC. Shared WC in England and Germany anyone? :D

Might be their best hope of qualifying :D

Seriously though, if it was to be abandoned (FIFA have denied it's been discussed, but I take anything they say with a pinch of salt), it would put the World Cup in doubt, given that the Brazilian people are openly saying they don't want it.

Germany would be the obvious back up (suitable new stadia, infrastructure from 2006), so given that FIFA make the decision it would probably end up in the UAE...in December! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Benimar wrote: »
    Might be their best hope of qualifying :D

Seriously though, if it was to be abandoned (FIFA have denied it's been discussed, but I take anything they say with a pinch of salt), it would put the World Cup in doubt, given that the Brazilian people are openly saying they don't want it.

Germany would be the obvious back up (suitable new stadia, infrastructure from 2006), so given that FIFA make the decision it would probably end up in the UAE...in December! :rolleyes:

Nah we all know the back up will be Mexico just like 86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The FIFA I know and hate will bull their way through this and get the matches played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The FIFA I know and hate will bull their way through this and get the matches played.

Yep they'd probably even threaten legal action against Brazil if they pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

DubDani wrote: »

According to some recent news a cancellation of the tournament is a big possibility, which IMO would also endanger next years WC. Shared WC in England and Germany anyone? :D

Unless there's an all out Syria-style civil war in Brazil, which obviously isn't going to happen, nothing will change. It's the same as the F1 in Bahrain. They only cancelled in 2011 because civil war was imminent, but once it was crushed no one really cared a year, two years later. Everyone involved has far too much money to lose to give a **** about protesters and YouTube videos unless people are dying in the 1000's, which won't happen. If teams start pulling out of the Confederations Cup, it's far more likely they'll be kicked out of the WC qualifying than it is that it will lead to the WC being moved. Even if it's cancelled, which I seriously doubt it will be, the WC will still go on as planned.

These protests will dissipate in a few months at most and life will carry on. Same sort of talk happened in South Africa with stadiums not being ready, and it will happen in Russia and another 9 years of papers need to be filled so Qatar will be "in jeopardy" every week until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

FIFA aren't going to kick the likes of Japan,Spain and Italy out of the WC if they pull out of the Confederations Cup because they'd lose massive amounts of sponsorship and TV money if they did so.

The Brazilian govt will end up throwing a bone to the protesters,guaranteeing to build some infrastructure projects and lowering PT fares most probably.

Fair play to the protesters in fairness though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

One of the Tahiti subs was Torres guide when he was on his honeymoon there in 2007 . The two of them caught up last night .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Jax Teller wrote: »
    One of the Tahiti subs was Torres guide when he was on his honeymoon there in 2007 . The two of them caught up last night .

file.php?id=7841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I wonder would Paddy Power take a bet that all the teams go home bar Tahiti as they want to experience proper riots to go with playing in front of more than 200 people.

Then the final is Tahiti versus Brazil and anyone can guess the score.
    Oh and Kenny Cunningham has a seizure claiming they are not acting like professionals.

Ok it is Friday afternoon :D

I am not allowed discuss …

Handicap Markets up for Uruguay v Tahiti.

So far (PP) only have

Uruguay (-6.0) 8/15. Handicap Draw (-6.0). 5/1 Tahiti (+6.0) 9/4

Any thoughts?

Dont get the handicap draw :confused: but am thinking can Uruguay actually beat Tahiti by 7 goals? Nigeria only beat them by 5, Uruguay v Nigeria was tight enough last night, and Tahiti have shown they are not afraid to attack, and are not sitting back and defending, and as its their last game of the competition, will want to go home with heads held high.

I'm thinking the +6 at 9/4 could be a very good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I've always admired Uruguay's ability to get the job done. They switched to 5-3-2 for the final 10 minutes v Nigeria and spent the remained of the game kicking lumps out of their opponents. They're not really there to impress anyone or win friends and as such I could see them not even caring about breaking records v Tahiti. Even 1-0 will be enough v Tahiti and I wouldn't be surprised if they get a low scoring win (say less than 4).

However whatever score Tahiti lose by it won't be up to them or their pride, it'll be purely down to how Uruguay approach the match. I personally see them getting less than Nigeria did anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

I've always admired Uruguay's ability to get the job done. They switched to 5-3-2 for the final 10 minutes v Nigeria and spent the remained of the game kicking lumps out of their opponents. They're not really there to impress anyone or win friends and as such I could see them not even caring about breaking records v Tahiti. Even 1-0 will be enough v Tahiti and I wouldn't be surprised if they get a low scoring win (say less than 4).

However whatever score Tahiti lose by it won't be up to them or their pride, it'll be purely down to how Uruguay approach the match. I personally see them getting less than Nigeria did anyway.

1-0 wouldn't be enough if Nigeria beat Spain. (which is unlikely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jmayo wrote: »
    I wonder would Paddy Power take a bet that all the teams go home bar Tahiti as they want to experience proper riots to go with playing in front of more than 200 people.

Then the final is Tahiti versus Brazil and anyone can guess the score.
    Oh and Kenny Cunningham has a seizure claiming they are not acting like professionals.

Ok it is Friday afternoon :D

You could just bet on Tahiti to win the tournament through default. They are currently 2500/1 :D

I'd say it will be as little as a 3-4 goal win, including a goal from Tahiti them selves.

Wonder will they put up anymore handicap scores closer to the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol, Tahiti going to get eviscerated as bad as the Spain game. They are now tired and Uruguay will have a bunch of players on the pitch who are trying to impress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, Tahiti going to get eviscerated as bad as the Spain game. They are now tired and Uruguay will have a bunch of players on the pitch who are trying to impress.

Yeah they have conceeded 3 hatricks and are going up against Suarez, Cavani and Forlan who know they have to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The competition is going ahead. No party FIFA or Brasilian are interested in any possible stop.

I couldn't stop laughing at Tahiti the other night. They were well worth their place.

Brasil to win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Gonna go for Italy myself, can't see past them, although either way I wouldn't really be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Italy to win 10-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Surprised fred and hulk are starting again

• Advertisement

Where's Kaka' these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Stupid question is this quarters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Why didnt Scolari rotate???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Stupid question is this quarters?

No, this is still the group stage

This is a comical opening by Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What a bloody start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

miralize wrote: »
    No, this is still the group stage

So both teams are through I take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Not a fan of the camera angle or Brazil's white shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

So both teams are through I take it?

Yes ,both will want to win to avoid Spain I would guess

great start by brasil. I think they both want to avoid spain more than anything else.

Can't believe luiz is on the pitch, he broke his nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Not a fan of the camera angle or Brazil's white shorts.

I didnt even notice the camera angle until I read your post. Its kinda White hart lane, now that I think about it...

Is it just me or does the atmosphere seem a little "camogie all Ireland final", just with more fans?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The Brazil kit doesn't look half as good with white shorts.

Classy from Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chiellini is very awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

keith16 wrote: »
    Where's Kaka' these days?

He rarely gets selected for the national side these days and he hasn't been nearly as good at Madrid due to all the injuries he's had I guess. It's such a shame as at he best with Milan he was outstanding.

Montolivo off, thats the worst he played since last autumn during the bad start to last season Milan had. Italy better hope he and Pirlo recover for the semi final now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fouls, fouls everywhere

Luiz coming off now. He is in terrible shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The inferno is coming on, not sure why he doesnt start thou

"How do you rate De Sciglio, Mark?"

Mark Lawrenson: "First time I've seen him, looks decent." :o

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Brasil to win tonight.

And hopefully Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Damn it, missed the first half hour.

Judging by the comments it was a lively start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Headshot wrote: »
    The inferno is coming on, not sure why he doesnt start thou

Much more solid than Luiz imo.

• Advertisement

"How do you rate De Sciglio, Mark?"

Mark Lawrenson: "First time I've seen him, looks decent." :o
    I wonder have they got fire ants in Brazil.
    Was that Junior Dos Santos near Kobe Bryant on the phone just there?

Advertisement