Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

David Luish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Chronic match. Listening to the half time analysis on BBC3 you'd swear we were watching a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wow from Oscar.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Super work from Oscar, was brilliant all match.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its going to be a hard watch next year, listening to the media salivate over the slightest thing that every Brazilian footballer does.

They were calling everything sensational tonight, despite it being far from. You'd swear the Beeb commentators were playing with themselves everytime Neymar touched the ball.

They raved about Brazils 2nd goal, about the cross, the control, the finish. The cross should have been intercepted, the control admittedly was good but he hit it straight at the keeper who let an easy shot go under his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Uruguay are 9/2 to win 2mrw...seems like a great price. 11/1 with Suarez to score anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Good win for Brazil without really getting out of second gear. Hulk had a strong first half but faded in the second, Neymar's goal was sublime and he had some clever touches throughout, Thiago Silva and David Luiz were solid at the back and are a solid foundation to build the team on. Most impressive of all was Oscar, popped up all over the pitch, always tried to get on the ball, played a couple of super passes that weren't capitalized upon until his final killer pass at the end to set up Jo, a really encouraging performance from Brazil's number 11.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

billy2012 wrote: »
    Uruguay are 9/2 to win 2mrw...seems like a great price. 11/1 with Suarez to score anytime.

Uruguay have been quite poor of late. I'd be surprised if they beat Spain.

Good win for Brazil without really getting out of second gear. Hulk had a strong first half but faded in the second, Neymar's goal was sublime and he had some clever touches throughout, Thiago Silva and David Luiz were solid at the back and are a solid foundation to build the team on. Most impressive of all was Oscar, popped up all over the pitch, always tried to get on the ball, played a couple of super passes that weren't capitalized upon until his final killer pass at the end to set up Jo, a really encouraging performance from Brazil's number 11.

Would disagree with Luiz. May have looked ok v Japan, but I think against the best he would be found out. Often looked like an accident waiting to happen any time I watched him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mexico -vs- Italy and Spain -vs- Uruguay today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

A good price but spain will still win handily enough id imagine, they are just too good.

klose wrote: »
    A good price but spain will still win handily enough id imagine, they are just too good.

I agree that Spain should win, but with Suarez and Cavani upfront, anything could happen. Think I'll have a lil bet on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I agree that Spain should win, but with Suarez and Cavani upfront, anything could happen. Think I'll have a lil bet on it.

I believe Cavani doesn't usually start for them . Forlan is set to make his 100 cap during the tournament so he'll be the main man for them I would imagine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Mexico -vs- Italy and Spain -vs- Uruguay today :D

Who to go for in the double?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I believe Cavani doesn't usually start for them . Forlan is set to make his 100 cap during the tournament so he'll be the main man for them I would imagine .

Cavani and Uruguay is odd, he was played out of position for so long and Ill be honest, I haven't watched a lot of Uruguay lately, but if he is now not playing for them at all it is just insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What time are they on rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Why are Italy in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Why are Italy in it?

European Chamionship Finalists

Why are Italy in it?

Spain won both Euros & WC so they invited Italy as runners up in the Euros .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Anyone that's watched much of Uruguay since the Copa wouldn't be giving them much of a prayer tonight.

I think Spain are just the kind of opponents for Suarez to get his teeth into .....

..... I'll get my coat.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Anyone that's watched much of Uruguay since the Copa wouldn't be giving them much of a prayer tonight.

Absolutely. People who bet purely on reputation and disregard form altogether aren't very good at betting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I suppose theres a plausible theory that Uruguay are a gank qualifying side (they made a similar shambles of qualifying for WC2010 as they are WC2014) but are a really good tournament side when they get there, as evidenced by 2010 and the Copa.

I suppose theres a plausible theory that Uruguay are a gank qualifying side (they made a similar shambles of qualifying for WC2010 as they are WC2014) but are a really good tournament side when they get there, as evidenced by 2010 and the Copa.

Dunno they sent a lot of the younger crop to the Olympics last year and they were god awful, lacked any of the fight that the Country were famed for. Qualification is all the easier this year without Vrazil but they've struggled badly. Players like Lugano /Forlan/ Rios/Perez have all regressed badly (understandable at their age) and there isn't much coming through to replace them. As good as a strikeforce as Suarez and Cav looks on paper they haven't set the world on fire together when they've started as a front two. It's definitely a nation in decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i know uruguay aint the team they were recently but they still have 2 of the greatest strikers in world football so they could be a threat tonight. hopefully not because ive a bet on spain lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone have any thoughts on Meh-he-co v Italy?

irish-stew wrote: »

Italy win . Mexico have been pretty poor recently .

so who is everyones winner of the tournament? i think spain will win it

MarkY91 wrote: »
    so who is everyones winner of the tournament? i think spain will win it

I can't really see past Spain either. The only countries that can claim to rival them as best in the World at the moment aren't playing in this tournament.

irish-stew wrote: »

Haven't seen much of Mexico but Italy are really solid at the moment. Nice blend of youth and experience in the squad, they benefit from players being very familiar with each other as the bulk of the squad is from either Juve/Milan. Only going to get stronger with players like De Sciglio has all the ability to develop into one of the worlds best players in his position. They'll probably start with Balo up front on his own tonight I'd imagine.

2-0 Italy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭PunterAssist

Mexico V Italy

Last 3 competitive games:

Mexico 0-0 Costa Rica
    Panama 0-0 Mexico
    Jamaica 0-1 Mexico

Czech Rep 0-0 Italy
    Malta 0-2 Italy
    Italy 3-1 Denmark

Squads:

Mexico:
    Goalkeepers:
    Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca), Guillermo Ochoa (Ajaccio)
    Defenders:
    Francisco Rodriguez, Diego Reyes (both America), Hiram Mier, Severo Meza (both Monterrey), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres UANL), Hector Moreno (Espanyol)
    Midfielders:
    Gerardo Torrado, Pablo Barrera (both Cruz Azul), Jesus Molina (America), Jesus Zavala (Monterrey), Hector Herrera, Angel Reyna (both Pachuca), Carlos Salcido (Tigres UANL), Andres Guardado (Valencia), Javier Aquino (Villarreal)
    Forwards:
    Giovani Dos Santos (Real Mallorca), Raul Jimenez (America), Aldo de Nigris (Monterrey), Oribe Peralta (Santos Laguna), Javier Hernandez (Manchester United)

Italy:
    Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain)
    Defenders: Abate (Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Sciglio (Milan), Maggio (Napoli)
    Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus)
    Forwards: Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gilardino (Bologna), Giovinco (Juventus).

Injuries:
    Mexico: Oribe Peralta (thigh)
    Italy: El Shaarawy (doubtful) - Initial reports said Balotelli may miss out with a thigh injury which caused Italys odds to drift however reports in the last 2 hours say he is fit to play - check the lineups before parting with the cash!

Italy: 6/4 (StanJames)
    Draw: 11/5 (Ladbrokes)
    Mexico: 23/10 (Ladbrokes)

Goals are likely to be at a premium tonight and if the match follows recent form with Mexico scoring 1 goal in their last 3 competitive fixtures against weak opposition and Italy conceding a single goal against mediocre opposition it should be difficult for Mexico to breach the Italian goal.

Mexico have drawn 8 of their last 9 matches and conceded 5 goals in their last 10 (5x 0-0 draws) while Italy have 3 clean sheets in their last 5.

Javier Hernandez is Mexico's main hope of getting on the scoresheet having scored four of their last five goals (32 goals in 50 appearances) while Italy will be relying on Ballotelli to get their confederations cup off to a winning start.

Paddy Power have a special on this match that might entice some: "If Javier Hernandez scores last, we will refund all losing first goalscorer, last goalscorer, correct score and scorecast single bets!"

For those that that follow the trends Paddy is going 16/5 on Italy to win and 1 or 2 total goals in the match which does off value in my opinion.

Mexico played a World Cup Qualifier on Tuesday where they failed to score against Costa Rica which shows the team is not gelling well at the minute and will struggle to break down a well organised Italian defense.

The best value bet on this match for those that want a personal interest would be Italy to win 'draw no bet' @ 8/11 with Stan James / William Hill / SkyBet

I can't really see past Spain either. The only countries that can claim to rival them as best in the World at the moment aren't playing in this tournament.

i know everyone is saying brazil this brazil that..but the reality is that half of the team are unproven players who play in brazil.neymar is not proven yet. im sick of people talking about him like he is god lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

i know everyone is saying brazil this brazil that..but the reality is that half of the team are unproven players who play in brazil.neymar is not proven yet. im sick of people talking about him like he is god lol

Brazil are playing in the tournament... in fact they're the hosts!

I'd imagine NiallSparky was talking about Germany or someone like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What you did there?? Yeah, I see it.;)

Gadge wrote: »
    Brazil are playing in the tournament... in fact they're the hosts!

I'd imagine NiallSparky was talking about Germany or someone like that.

no i know that. i was just making my point that spain are miles above anyone in the tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

no i know that. i was just making my point that spain are miles above anyone in the tournament

Who are teams at home that can beat them Germany and erm Argentina at a stretch. France, Holland, Portugal and Colombia wouldn't beat them either for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Is anyone showing the Spain game on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

They obviously got hammered in the final, but I would say Italy could give them a good game once they didn't make the same tactical mistakes they made in the final.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Is anyone showing the Spain game on TV?

Bbc1

http://www.live-footballontv.com/fifa-confederations-cup-on-tv.html

There defence is fairly tight even though luiz has his moments, full backs do bomb forward if you were to look for a con. Cesar is a very good keeper, gustavo is a tidy player dosent start for munich but it shouldnt cloud peoples judgement over his abaility. Paulinho would be unknown to many including myself, oscar speaks for himself, hilk and neymar need no explanation they are quality wingers. Fred seems a capable enough striker from what ive seen.
    Solid little team, wouldnt give em much hope here though with spain around.

• Advertisement

50 on Suarez to score at anytime @16/5 + 10 on Suarez to score anytime and Uruguay to win at 11/1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Neymar is the Brazilian Beckham. Good player but overrated due to being pretty fashionable and sporting a range of haircuts.

Good player but ultimately will never really be the best player at whatever club he's at, let alone best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ye gotta love the Italian national anthem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I take it Houghton and Hamilton are sitting in a broom cupboard in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I remember watching one of the first confederation cup games last year and hearing those awful vuvuzuelas. Darragh Moloney had to explain it wasn't a problem with the sound, rather it was the fans!

Thanks god they won't be a feature of Brazil.

Dodgy sound again yaaaaay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The internet would of exploded if Balotelli scored that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This could be a thumping, mexico keep giving the ball away far too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Balotelli could have slipped Giaccherini in there....

• Advertisement

What formation do italy play? Havent they been playing 3 at the back recently no?

Advertisement