Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nigeria seem to follow a slightly more refined style of the technically solid, athletic but somewhat erratic archetype of African football.

There's some tidy looking players there. It just breaks down a bit when they get in key positions.
    Mikel has been interesting. He's looks better running with the ball and driving forward than he does as a deep lying DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

7-0 Saurez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

7-0 Saurez

Ah Luis' good twin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

7-0 tyrannoSaurez

What with both of them being a bit bitey I suppose it's easy to confuse them.:pac:

GTR63 wrote: »
    Ah Luis' good twin.

Yep or damn iOS auto correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

long ball great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Alba, Alba, Alba. Fantastic, best left back in the universe. He has a long future as a player, coach, manager & president of Barcelona & Spain!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jordi Alba just never stops running
    best attacking LB in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Left back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Goal! Goal! Alba gets his second! Quick thinking and lively delivery from Villa with a quick freekick, the pace and composure of Alba never fails to impress. Such a high quality player.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Jordi Alba just never stops running
    best attacking LB in the world

This. Up there with Alaba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! For URUGUAY! The two time champions of the World now hold a commanding 7-0 lead over their Oceania counterparts. The imperious Luis Saurez, only on the pitch a matter of minutes, goes on a mazy run, to the utter bewilderment of the Tahitian defender, sending him one way, and then another, before brilliantly sliding the ball home past the despairing desperate dive of the luckless Tahitian goalkeeper.

Surely this will set the platform for Uruguay to go on and claim a third World Crown, and few will surely bet against such an outcome next summer when the modern day footballing aristocrats of South America descend on neighbouring Brazil next year. A team whom they famously defeated in their own back yard to famously take the Jules Rimet back across the Amazon.

History, is simply destined to repeat itself - Libertad o Muerte

8-0 Suarez 2nd and now Uruguays top goal scorer

Goal! Goal! Goal! Alba gets his second! Quick thinking and lively delivery from Villa with a quick freekick, the pace and composure of Alba never fails to impress. Such a high quality player.

Sorry lad, I've replaced you.

All over for Tahiti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

miralize wrote: »

I took his job way back when they played Uruguay but he refused to resign.

keith16 wrote: »
    Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! For URUGUAY! The two time champions of the World

Wait a minute 2>1 therefore Uruguay are a better team than Spain, thats simple mathematics lads.

Another GOAAALL! Uruguay now lead 8 zip. Suarez is again on target and with men like him, Forlan and Cavani in their ranks, the imposing South American giants of football have sounded out a warning to their rivals for the confederations and World crowns. This is simply irresistible and even now, the Tahitian fans (who ave descended on Brazil in their millions) stand and applaud the sheer brilliance unfolding before them.

The referee mercifully blows his whistle and ends the nightmare for Tahiti - a nightmare that is only starting for those remaining in the confederations cup. Libertad o Muerte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Tahiti conceded 24 goals :D

Good, honestly Spain don't get the appreciation they deserve on here. Tonight they've played in second gear, they've played quite conservatively to save energy and not risk injury with the semi final coming up and yet they've scored 3 goals tonight and not conceded. They've won all 3 group games, they're on a different level to any other team in this tournament and, IMO, any other team in the world. You hear the eulogising of the great Brazilian or Dutch teams of the past, well this Spanish side deserve as much, if not more, admiration. If you want to add to that admiration then I'd only be too happy for that.

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Wait a minute 2>1 therefore Uruguay are a better team than Spain, thats simple mathematics lads.

Ridiculous. Uruguay were never going to expose their tactical brilliance to the Spanish so early on in the tournament. Spain will meet the true Uruguay in the final (assuming Spain get there of course).

Then you will all see, Uruguay are an inevitable footballing force.

2 worlds cups > 1 :D

EDIT: I have misread your post, you are indeed correct sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good, honestly Spain don't get the appreciation they deserve on here. Tonight they've played in second gear, they've played quite conservatively to save energy and not risk injury with the semi final coming up and yet they've scored 3 goals tonight and not conceded. They've won all 3 group games, they're on a different level to any other team in this tournament and, IMO, any other team in the world. You hear the eulogising of the great Brazilian or Dutch teams of the past, well this Spanish side deserve as much, if not more, admiration. If you want to add to that admiration then I'd only be too happy for that.
    they didn't concede because Nigeria left there best strikers at home or were injured
    i think Brazil or Italy can beat Spain as there poor in defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

I would like to say well done and congratulations to Tahiti for qualifying and taking part in the Confederations Cup 2013 in Brazil. Well done boys! You've done your country so proud! For a nation who are amateur to have even qualified for a professional soccer tournament is a tremendous achievement. So much so that the President of Tahiti suspended the parliament and gave everybody a half day in work so they could see the opening game! It's all about making progress! I hope FIFA encourages and supports the game in Tahiti and that you grow and develop as a footballing nation! Keep those heads held high boys!!! Well done again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Tahiti conceded 24 goals :D

Back to their Tropical Island now with their Eva Mendes lookalike wives. Tough aul life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very tastey semi finals, really enoying this tournament

klose wrote: »
    Very tastey semi finals, really enoying this tournament

So it's:

Brazil v Uruguay

Italy v Spain

That right?

MD1990 wrote: »
    they didn't concede because Nigeria left there best strikers at home or were injured
    i think Brazil or Italy can beat Spain as there poor in defence

Prepare to be surprised. Honestly I never understand where the idea that their defence is poor comes from. They usually have over 60% of the ball (a form of defence) and they've got a world class keeper, back four and holding midfielder. They don't concede that easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hmm meh! 6.5/10

Alba, Alba, Alba. Fantastic, best left back in the universe. He has a long future as a player, coach, manager & president of Barcelona & Spain!!!!
    Great stuff! 8.9/10
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    Left back :eek:
    Utterly fantastic! Short and concise and full of emotion! 10/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fully agree with that analysis, Jernal. The emoticon really just takes it on to the next level.

World class stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bollocks to the notion Spain don't get the credit they deserve. absolute bollocks to that. don't talk that shíte.

it's whenever their status as deities is questioned, that seems to be when the familiar cries of "they don't get credit" come out.

kills me.

Knex. wrote: »
    Fully agree with that analysis, Jernal. The emoticon really just takes it on to the next level.

World class stuff.

The lack of punctuation and context also adds a layer of depth not yet seen before on these boards.

SlickRic wrote: »
    bollocks to the notion Spain don't get the credit they deserve. absolute bollocks to that. don't talk that shíte.

it's whenever their status as deities is questioned, that seems to be when the familiar cries of "they don't get credit" come out.

kills me.

Honestly I disagree. You hear Kenny Cunningham before the game insinuating that their style of football is boring and that he enjoys making tea during their games. He then goes on to say that he'd rather Germany and the way they play. Ridiculous. Were pundits talking like that about Brazil in 1970? I doubt it. You saw it all over the British media last Summer during Euro 2012. This is the greatest team of their generation, a nation that's creating so many technically gifted footballers at all levels. Personally I think they warrant more praise than they receive and I think that all of us can almost sometimes be passé about the regular brilliance which they produce.

Honestly I disagree. You hear Kenny Cunningham before the game insinuating that their style of football is boring and that he enjoys making tea during their games. He then goes on to say that he'd rather Germany and the way they play. Ridiculous.

He's entitled to his opinion of course.

keith16 wrote: »
    He's entitled to his opinion of course.

Of course, I simply found it rather disrespectful of a team that have won Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, Euro 2012 and are now into the semi final of the Confederations Cup. All of it playing a style of football that has changed the game.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sending offs aside, highlights of the Uruguay game:

allthegoals.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The team that wins stuff doesn't necessarily have to be the most entertaining. Just look at Donegal. (sorry:o)

I do think people are misguiding in saying Germany are entertaining. Bayern Munich maybe but Germany not so much. There is a caveat there and that's that Munich need teams to actually go at them and attack them for the game to be entertaining.

Italy and Spain should be entertaining because Italy have the technical ability to openly face Spain. Whether they choose to do so though is another question. Don't expect a 4-0 hovering again. (Hovering? I'm sure I've heard that word used in a context like this.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Honestly I disagree. You hear Kenny Cunningham before the game insinuating that their style of football is boring and that he enjoys making tea during their games. He then goes on to say that he'd rather Germany and the way they play. Ridiculous. Were pundits talking like that about Brazil in 1970? I doubt it. You saw it all over the British media last Summer during Euro 2012. This is the greatest team of their generation, a nation that's creating so many technically gifted footballers at all levels. Personally I think they warrant more praise than they receive and I think that all of us can almost sometimes be passé about the regular brilliance which they produce.

Spain get plenty of plaudits world wide and are recognised as the best national team ever perhaps by most people if not all. Just cause kenny likes to make tea while watching them and the rest of us dont wax lyrical about every pass they make dosent mean they get enough credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You hear Kenny Cunningham before the game insinuating that their style of football is boring and that he enjoys making tea during their games.

some of the games are boring. not Spain's fault, but their keep ball produces some boring games.
    He then goes on to say that he'd rather Germany and the way they play. Ridiculous.

his opinion, plus, Germany's style is more direct. some people prefer that.
    Were pundits talking like that about Brazil in 1970? I doubt it.

what a random, unsubstantiated point to make.
    You saw it all over the British media last Summer during Euro 2012.

not really now. everyone fawns over Spain. one or 2 pundits finding them a bit boring does not mean it was "all over the media".
    This is the greatest team of their generation, a nation that's creating so many technically gifted footballers at all levels.

more power to them. that fact is admired by everybody.
    Personally I think they warrant more praise than they receive and I think that all of us can almost sometimes be passé about the regular brilliance which they produce.

what the holy fúck do you want? weekly parades? medals?

i've never seen more mass public gushing over a team or nation than I have Spain over the last 5 or 6 years. actually, no, maybe Barcelona actually.

honestly, what more do you fúcking well want?

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Back to their Tropical Island now with their Eva Mendes lookalike wives. Tough aul life

Wait WHAT!
    I need pics to prove this and then a one way plane ticket to Tahiti.

SlickRic wrote: »
    some of the games are boring. not Spain's fault, but their keep ball produces some boring games.

his opinion, plus, Germany's style is more direct. some people prefer that.

what a random, unsubstantiated point to make.

not really now. everyone fawns over Spain. one or 2 pundits finding them a bit boring does not mean it was "all over the media".

more power to them. that fact is admired by everybody.

what the holy fúck do you want? weekly parades? medals?

i've never seen more mass public gushing over a team or nation than I have Spain over the last 5 or 6 years. actually, no, maybe Barcelona actually.

honestly, what more do you fúcking well want?

I think Richie Sadlier said it at the top of the show, I don't understand how anyone can find watching a team so technically brilliant boring. Even Spain tonight in second gear demonstrate more technical brilliance and produce high quality football than you see from so many other teams, club or country.

Perhaps, though I'd also argue that people should appreciate a technically brilliant side over a side that are technically good and rely quite a bit on physicality.

It was more of a question given that I wasnt alive. Certainly when you hear people now talk about that team you rarely hear any negatives.

It was certainly more than just 1 or 2 journalists.

As it should be.

Maybe but I'll settle for not having to see "zzzzz" before every Spain game or listen to the tea-making timetable of a pundit whose been paid to watch them.

Debatable but I don't think the players have gotten the credit they deserve. I don't want to derail the thread because that's where this paragraph could go so I'll leave it at, individually and collectively they should be appreciated more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Vahirua aside, are any of the Tahiti lads good enough to play in a professional league in Europe do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I think Richie Sadlier said it at the top of the show, I don't understand how anyone can find watching a team so technically brilliant boring. Even Spain tonight in second gear demonstrate more technical brilliance and produce high quality football than you see from so many other teams, club or country.

Perhaps, though I'd also argue that people should appreciate a technically brilliant side over a side that are technically good and rely quite a bit on physicality.

It was more of a question given that I wasnt alive. Certainly when you hear people now talk about that team you rarely hear any negatives.

It was certainly more than just 1 or 2 journalists.

As it should be.

Maybe but I'll settle for not having to see "zzzzz" before every Spain game or listen to the tea-making timetable of a pundit whose been paid to watch them.

Debatable but I don't think the players have gotten the credit they deserve. I don't want to derail the thread because that's where this paragraph could go so I'll leave it at, individually and collectively they should be appreciated more.

You don't want to derail the thread...... Ha.

Every time I open it its you jizzing over Spain or someone debating it with u.

There a great team grand but they play like the annoying prick you find online on fifa who plays it around his own area as soon as he score s!

They bore me at times piggy in the middle is not exciting ha.

You don't want to derail the thread...... Ha.

Every time I open it its you jizzing over Spain or someone debating it with u.

There a great team grand but they play like the annoying prick you find online on fifa who plays it around his own area as soon as he score s!

They bore me at times piggy in the middle is not exciting ha.

Ha. The one word that adds so much to a conversation.

You can find Spain boring (I dont personally), but what they do with the ball very few teams can do. One thing I will argue you with is the fact that when they keep the balls, its more than often in the opposition half. They're just looking for an opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You can find Spain boring (I dont personally), but what they do with the ball very few teams can do. One thing I will argue you with is the fact that when they keep the balls, its more than often in the opposition half. They're just looking for an opening.

Like I said there a great team no doubting that I'd just find more often than not there style of play bores me. I like exciting football I don't find them exciting they have a game plan and that's that there style of play rarely changes

I'd be curious to see how they would adapt if a team broke down there style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Theyre a great, great team. People are mixing up saying theyre play can seem boring as not appreciating their quality.

Of course when theyre passing it around they are destroying teams, but watching it relentlessly over 90 minutes can be tough going sometimes. I hate the notion that if someone says they can find it boring they don't appreciate good football. Appreciation and an opinion of the total excitement of a 90 min match are two very different things.

Corholio wrote: »
    Theyre a great, great team. People are mixing up saying theyre play can seem boring as not appreciating their quality.

Of course when theyre passing it around they are destroying teams, but watching it relentlessly over 90 minutes can be tough going sometimes. I hate the notion that if someone says they can find it boring they don't appreciate good football. Appreciation and an opinion of the total excitement of a 90 min match are two very different things.

Fair point. Sometimes Spain can slip into cruise control and that can be boring at times, especially when you know that they're not going to willingly go for another goal - but even in those moments, you see things from iniesta, silva etc that can make you smile and/or weep with uncontrollable adoration.

Fair point. Sometimes Spain can slip into cruise control and that can be boring at times, especially when you know that they're not going to willingly go for another goal - but even in those moments, you see things from iniesta, silva etc that can make you smile and/or weep with uncontrollable adoration.

That's more like it Miralize, I think you e been spot on with your last couple of comments.

That's more like it Miralize, I think you e been spot on with your last couple of comments.

Thank you. For making my point mean f*** all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The current Spain reminds me of Michael Schumacher at his best in Grand Prix. Incredibly good, efficient and ruthless, but it just got tedious over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thank you. For making my point mean f*** all :pac:

I genuinely LOL'd

• Advertisement
Advertisement