Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cavani was very good. Neymar showed his skill the first goal but CHRIST is he some diver. I know he's a good deal lighter than most players but the height he reaches before he falls.:rolleyes: Pathetic.
    Poor game on most accounts. Spain or Italy will very much be fancying their chances on that showing. On the evidence so far Argentina, Germany, Spain etc won't be too worried about Brazil

I know they're great players, but Neymar, Busquets and Jordi Alba in the same team is really going to be hard to watch. They all get up to it.

In biscuits defence since the 2009/10 season he's been a lot better behaving feigning wise. He still goes down easily but on the same level of Alba or Neymar? Nope. Neymar's on another planet compared to both of them actually. Jesus! He's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Spain will wipe the floor with Brazil, imo ;)

Spain faves to beat Italy. Lot of pressure on Brazil by the looks of things. Those protests might be having some kind of an affect as well. However when the Final comes I'd expect them to step it up a bit. They appeared relieved to get through the semi tonight, so may not be afraid of Spain/Italy in the Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Spain to go through tomorrow obviously. It make for a good final. Brasil still have a lot of work to do if they want to win the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gargano came on 10 mins from time ?

Agree though, desperate game.

Oh yeah! They needed fresh legs though they were dead on their feet. Ramirez is the only one i can think off the top of my head that could have made an impact? Id say uraguay are at a bit of a crossroads between players pushing on, the youngest player on the pitch at 26 is pretty high, showed tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

That game was terrible I want my 90 minutes back . The one thing it did highlight for me is that neymar will fit in with the Brazil team very well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

klose wrote: »
    Oh yeah! They needed fresh legs though they were dead on their feet. Ramirez is the only one i can think off the top of my head that could have made an impact? Id say uraguay are at a bit of a crossroads between players pushing on, the youngest player on the pitch at 26 is pretty high, showed tonight.

:eek: - Didn't know that! Cavani and Suarez are both 26 but it doesn't bode well for the rest of them!

Don't know why Ramirez and Gargano weren't on earlier. Saving players for extra time is a silly tactic.

Also, for those who think Argentina are superior to Brazil. I think they haven't done anything to warrant any praise at all. For me, Spain are on top followed by Germany and Italy and then Brazil, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Argentina etc.

A lot can change from one year to the next however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jernal wrote: »
    In biscuits defence since the 2009/10 season he's been a lot better behaving feigning wise. He still goes down easily but on the same level of Alba or Neymar? Nope. Neymar's on another planet compared to both of them actually. Jesus! He's awful.

I can't even imagine what El Classico will be like with him, expect a lot more red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A disappointing game. One would see better in the Championship in the UK. That Brazil team will have to improve in a big way to win the world cup. It looks so ordinary and in front of its home crowd as well. I hope that Spain make the final and maybe then we might see what Brazil has to really offer. Scolari not the man for the job IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i knew neymar was gay. blowing kisses :P

but yeah..pretty average from brazil. their loss for not including coutinho in the squad tbh

I can't even imagine what El Classico will be like with him, expect a lot more red cards.
    It should be fun. Barca need to sign Luiz too. Then it's be brilliant.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    A disappointing game. One would see better in the Championship in the UK. That Brazil team will have to improve in a big way to win the world cup. It looks so ordinary and in front of its home crowd as well. I hope that Spain make the final and maybe then we might see what Brazil has to really offer. Scolari not the man for the job IMO.

Bear in mind though the searing heat and humidity the match was played in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there any Brazilian CM in the world that isnt in the squad at the moment that can drastically improve this team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

semi finals are never great games. You never win a Semi you lose it. I expect the final to be a very good game.

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there any Brazilian CM in the world that isnt in the squad at the moment that can drastically improve this team?

Ramires, Fernandinho, Kaka and possibly a few more I can't think of.

They need someone like a Pirlo or a Xavi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Headshot wrote: »
    They need someone like a Pirlo or a Xavi

Paulinho can do that, although to a much lesser degree. He isn't a bad passer of the ball. He's like a fitter, better Sandro to compare him to a premierleaguer that more might be familiar with.

The problem is that Scolari wont let him. It's sitting brief for him and boy is it hard to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ramires, Fernandinho, Kaka and possibly a few more I can't think of.

Coutinho HAS to get a look in too if he keeps up his form.
    What ever happened Ganso, remember watching him when Milan were linked with him then he went to Sao Paulo and I haven't heard a peep about him sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Brazil were there for the taking tonight, Uruguay should have really went all out.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is the worst Brazil team in my lifetime. Will be lucky to see the semi's of the WC next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Massive night tonight for Victor Valdes as he starts for Spain in a semi final ahead of Casillas and Valdes. Given his consistency over the years, he fully deserves this tonight, hopefully he does himself proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Massive night tonight for Victor Valdes as he starts for Spain in a semi final ahead of Casillas and Valdes. Given his consistency over the years, he fully deserves this tonight, hopefully he does himself proud.

??

• Advertisement

Where did you hear this...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is that confirmed?

If so, I'm only assuming that its been done to give him a game, if they get to Final I'd be fully expecting the vastly superior Casillas to play.

??

Well that should say Reina. My bad.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is that confirmed?

If so, I'm only assuming that its been done to give him a game, if they get to Final I'd be fully expecting the vastly superior Casillas to play.

It's on Sky Sports News. They say that Valdes is expected to keep his place.

To be honest I think it's only right that Valdes plays tonight. After all he's played all season, he's had a fine season while Casillas hasn't played very much.

To be honest I think it's only right that Valdes plays tonight. After all he's played all season, he's had a fine season while Casillas hasn't played very much.

Its set up perfectly for him to drop a clanger of a mistake so

Its set up perfectly for him to drop a clanger of a mistake so

Yee of little faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

LOL. My bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

miralize wrote: »
    Fundementally it makes sense, to unlock the screen, you just swipe away the lock screen. In practice though, and the fact that the unlock text is so close to the bottom makes it confusing enough.

I wonder how my granny will find iOS7.

it's iOS she shouldn't have a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

miralize wrote: »
    Fundementally it makes sense, to unlock the screen, you just swipe away the lock screen. In practice though, and the fact that the unlock text is so close to the bottom makes it confusing enough.

I wonder how my granny will find iOS7.
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's iOS she shouldn't have a problem

You guys dont watch much football, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Valdes is a weak link in that Barca side, he makes too many mistakes especially when you consider he plays for a team that has 70% possession in most matches.

• Advertisement

Until its confirmed I wouldnt bet on it.

Casillas is very much 1st choice, Reina 2nd choice it seems.

I can see no reason why Del Bosque would drop Casillas, Jose dropped him for political reasons, no matter what he says it was personal, had he been brought back once he was fit he would have played more games towards the end of the season.

Now Del Bosque might pull a surprise and play Valdes but that would only be to give all te G.K's a game, which if was the case I'm surprised he didnt play Valdes against Tahiti with it being a banker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Until its confirmed I wouldnt bet on it.

Casillas is very much 1st choice, Reina 2nd choice it seems.

I can see no reason why Del Bosque would drop Casillas, Jose dropped him for political reasons, no matter what he says it was personal, had he been brought back once he was fit he would have played more games towards the end of the season.

Now Del Bosque might pull a surprise and play Valdes but that would only be to give all te G.K's a game, which if was the case I'm surprised he didnt play Valdes against Tahiti with it being a banker.

Valdes played against Nigeria.

Valdes played against Nigeria.

Did he?

Missed that game, along with the Uruguay v Nigeria game.

Makes it more surprising so as to why Sky would report Valdes is to start if all 3 have played at least 90mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ibjjxORMIE4Qjj.gif

Valdes is quality keeper but his form last season for Barca was scratchy in parts.
    Then I suppose Barca were the same. Still, I'd have Casillas in front of the posts.

Also, anyone got a translation of the interview where Xavi talked about how he wanted to resign after winning the Euros but Del Bosque convinced him to stay on until the WC in Brazil? Guy sounds like he's in agony playing at times. Jesus!
    Really feel for him. :(

Come on that gif is gold, great setup for Robben mk2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

ShaneU wrote: »
    ibjjxORMIE4Qjj.gif

Should fit in well at barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Prediction time: Italy win 2-1. Chiellini to produce a defensive masterclass while also getting a glorious header from a Pirlo corner.

That's the dream anyways :P

who will play up front for Italy tonight? Good few strikers were left out of the squad and el sha and giovinco are more wide players.

• Advertisement

He was trying to swat a bee

who will play up front for Italy tonight? Good few strikers were left out of the squad and el sha and giovinco are more wide players.

Think wider players will actually suit them tbh. Spain have them under siege out balls to the wing are more likely to suicide and with El sha and Giovionco versus Ramos, Biscuits and Pique they do have a very good chance. Balotelli is a massive loss though.
    I'm more concerned though about who Italy have to shield Pirlo he needs time to be able to pick his pass so the Spaniards need to be occupy. In the Euros he had little to no protection and mostly kept receiving the ball with Spaniards right on his heels. The ball needs to be delivered to him with a fraction more space to pick the forward pass. Spain have Busquest, Iniesta and Xavi all capable of doing that. So they're chances are better but if Italy can find a way to free up a bit of space for Pirlo then they've got a really good chance. Montolivo needs a big game.(Assuming he's fit. Is Pirlo fit?:eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Spain team according to Spanish radio.

Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Ramos and Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Torres Silva.

http://www.marca.com/2013/06/27/futbol/copa_confederaciones/espana/1372327123.html

Surprised to see Torres in instead of Soldado and was hoping Mata would play instead of Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Pedro is always a danger in these games. Soldado would be a better selection than Torres I think as well.

i fail to see why pedro is starting. i liked him in his early days at barca but he didnt progress since then IMO. wish mata was starting instead of silva

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i fail to see why pedro is starting. i liked him in his early days at barca but he didnt progress since then IMO. wish mata was starting instead of silva

Pedro got his form back towards the end of the season and has been quality for both Spain and Barca. More so for Spain. Messi, actually leeches a lot of Barca players making it harder for forwards to maintain form. Also think Mata should be starting. Silva's passing all tourney has been terrible for Spain standards. For any other team however. . .

Pedro got his form back towards the end of the season and has been quality for both Spain and Barca. More so for Spain. Messi, actually leeches a lot of Barca players making it harder for forwards to maintain form. Also think Mata should be starting. Silva's passing all tourney has been terrible for Spain standards. For any other team however. . .

havent watched any of barcas last few games as the league was over so ill take your word for it that he improved. what do you think of torres getting a start? i think he deserves it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Man, that dive is terrible.

I'd love if he got a nice ban for it.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    havent watched any of barcas last few games as the league was over so ill take your word for it that he improved. what do you think of torres getting a start? i think he deserves it

Hard to call but based on form against quality opposition I'd go with Soldado. Torres might make me eat those words though. I just think Soldado actually links better with the team than Torres or Villa are doing.

elefant wrote: »
    Man, that dive is terrible.

I'd love if he got a nice ban for it.

The sooner fifa bring in retrospective punishment for that type of sh*t the better. FIFA being progressive though? Heh, pigs'll fly first!

• Advertisement
Advertisement