Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Johner wrote: »
    No sign of andersonisgod tonight. :pac: Gone a bit quiet. :pac:

I don't want to bring up too many old quotes so I'll just do the one because there was a few on this thread tonight that singled me out so I think I'm entitled to ask Johner, where is he now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bonuccis penalty was charlie adam-esque

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There's only too many examples on this thread of you writing off Spain tonight, I've kept relatively quiet, you've been proven wrong, I think you should ask for a refund because those grapes look pretty sour to me.

I never wrote Spain off... I even said I fancied them for Peno's.

I wrote Alba off, because he was ****e, Candreva and Maggio made an absolute mug out of him all night, because he's not a full back and never will be.

The only thing Italy lacked tonight in the first 90 minutes is a goal, besides that they showed exactly how to dominate and dismantle that spanish side.

The stats for the first 90 minutes are insanely one sided, even you can't deny that Spain are extremely lucky to advance.

The only sour grapes I have are in the aged aceto balsamico di modena in my cupboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There's only too many examples on this thread of you writing off Spain tonight, I've kept relatively quiet, you've been proven wrong, I think you should ask for a refund because those grapes look pretty sour to me.

The fact you stayed out of the thread while Italy put it up to Spain says it all about you. When Spain are running riot your foaming all over match threads. When they struggled you kept out of the match discussion. When it's all over you can come in preaching again about how great Spain are. I would give you some credibility if you contributed during the match or showed some praise from Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

klose wrote: »
    Bonuccis penalty was charlie adam-esque

Twasn't that bad Charlie's will only re-enter earths orbit in the year 3187.
    ****ing gutted tbh. I bet Brazil make hard work of Sunday too cause tbh Italy are a better team than Brazil with better midfielders. Expect a boatload of diving, momentum killing fouls and jittery defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In the blazing Brazilian heat, the tropic humidity, tasked with breaking down and combating a very fit, organised and adventurous Italian side, Spain's endeavor and heart won through.

right before the shootout, you said penalties are a lottery.

so it wasn't endeavour and heart at all then, was it? according to your own theory, it was just dumb luck.

don't let contradicting yourself get in the way of talking garbage though. carry on.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sad thing is that those calling him what he is, will probably be infracted for doing so despite him admitting to being a troll/WUM elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sad thing is that those calling him what he is, will probably be infracted for doing so despite him admitting to being a troll/WUM elsewhere.

luffy-worth-it-meme.jpg

tumblr_lrh36xIHxi1qa48kd.gif

Seaneh wrote: »
    I never wrote Spain off... I even said I fancied them for Peno's.

I wrote Alba off, because he was ****e, Candreva and Maggio made an absolute mug out of him all night, because he's not a full back and never will be.

The only thing Italy lacked tonight in the first 90 minutes is a goal, besides that they showed exactly how to dominate and dismantle that spanish side.

The state for the first 90 minutes are insanely one sided, even you can't deny that Spain are extremely lucky to advance.

The only sour grapes I have are in the aged aceto balsamico di modena in my cupboard.

I don't have the will or the energy to scroll through 151 pages worth of posts, but I definitely saw quite a bit more than that from you, but hey, whatever, who cares.

Not a full back? Somebody should probably tell Del Bosque and Tito Vilanova that, while we are at it we should probably confiscate his Euro 2012 and La Liga winners medals too.

Spain were better in the first 10 minutes, Spain were certainly much more in the game in the second half with Navas and Mata making a big difference and they were so superior in extra time that, on balance, it would be very hard for anyone, even someone with a dislike of Spain, to argue that they didn't deserve to win on balance.

Lucky? No. Euro 2008, same situation against the same team, Spain advance. World Cup 2010 they win all 4 of their knockout games 1-0, including the final deep into the second half of extra time. Euro 2012, penalties victory against Portugal. Tonight, penalties victory against Italy. At some stage you have to forget this thing about luck and accept that the character, will and conviction, along with supreme technical quality, has won them tournaments.

I think you should probably check again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most enjoyable 0-0 I've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    right before the shootout, you said penalties are a lottery.

so it wasn't endeavour and heart at all then, was it? according to your own theory, it was just dumb luck.

don't let contradicting yourself get in the way of talking garbage though. carry on.

A lottery yes in that, a player could be all nerves, slip, miskick the ball and it could roll into the goal anyway.

Those penalties from Spain tonight were anything but a lottery. The confidence, the conviction and belief were something that should be showered with praise by any true football fan.

Also, I think I'm absolutely right in saying Seaneh wasn't the only one having a few snaps out me and Spain throughout this thread, I wonder did you both buy your grapes in the same shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What a game!
    Really feel sorry for Italy but Spain are just bastards really. There's always one game in the tournaments they deserving to be losing it but somehow hang in it. Wear the other the team down a bit and play way their way back into it. Italy were on the ropes at the end but they had Spain on the ropes at the start. Epic boxing match and so much credit must go to Prandelli he set his team up beautiful and Del Bosque's balls to play negative in the second half was intriguing. No way Barcelona would get away that tactic (or so a certain fanboi here would have us believe.) Italy still got chances but the space wasn't near as open and you could see they were struggling more with their passes. Fatigue became a factor there as well.
    The flip side here though was Spain were restricted to the wings in attack - which they do not like. It's a testament to how good Italy were that Spain sacrificed their attacking midfielders and put them in a much deeper containing role. Although Anderson will probably claim this was a tactical masterstroke by Del B to wear down the Italians. Maybe it was but even still it's not something you'd associate with Spain. They usually play a much higher line.

Shame about the penalties in a way a replay would have been better.:D But then those penalties were f**king class. Really felt for Bonucci but the first 6 penalties were sublime by both sides.
    (Actually a replay with penalties would have been best.)

I said way back in the thread that I love Italy Spain games because they're very closely matched. Both teams if they can maintain or improve form have a really good chance in the WC. In terms of tactical discipline and technical ability only Germany come close. Sabella's Argentina maybe, but they still look dodgy at times.

Finally thank you so much Spain for inviting Italy into this tournament. :D God help them though if there's a game on Saturday.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

I can't remember ever admitting to anything like that. Also, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not by the way) on this forum I've only been here to talk about football, plain and simple. Other users have made me an issue, other users have made me a topic, other users have gone over the line in a couple of cases but I've said nothing, I've let it slide and I've just continued to talk about football. If you don't want to read what I have to say then just ignore me, there is an ignore list on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

People just need to stop replying and he will stop

CSF wrote: »

Replying to who? :confused:

:pac:

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The fact you stayed out of the thread while Italy put it up to Spain says it all about you. When Spain are running riot your foaming all over match threads. When they struggled you kept out of the match discussion. When it's all over you can come in preaching again about how great Spain are. I would give you some credibility if you contributed during the match or showed some praise from Italy.

I commented a few times. Even during games which Spain are absolutely dominating in I only really comment when there is a goal, I'd rather watch the game than constantly comment.

I have no problem praising Italy, their pressing in the 90 minutes was very effective, they targeted Arbeloa when he was on the ball (the least technically gifted player of the Spain starting 11) and they targeted Alba as the side to attack through (as I said earlier, Silva was no great help and the overload was constantly on, on that side of the pitch) Pirlo was very good tonight too, as were a solid backline up until extra time when exhaustion got the better of them.

Italy should've won in 90 minutes.

they should've been 3 up at halftime. that is basically undeniable.

i love the fact you say "Spain were better for the first 10 minutes". so you've ignored the middle 60 minutes of normal time where Spain were made look so ordinary.

Italy deserved it in 90.

Spain deserved it for their performance in extra time, and for not having Bonucci in the shootout.

end of. unarguable.

CSF wrote: »

Yes, honestly I don't enjoy these roundabout debates anymore than you do. Like I said, there's an ignore list function on this forum, by all means make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Much closer result than I expected, I fully believed Spain would win with a big margin but credit to Italy for keeping up with them (and at times playing much better).

Can't see past Spain for winning the final though.

Italy should've won in 90 minutes.

they should've been 3 up at halftime. that is basically undeniable.

i love the fact you say "Spain were better for the first 10 minutes". so you've ignored the middle 60 minutes of normal time where Spain were made look so ordinary.

Italy deserved it in 90.

Spain deserved it for their performance in extra time, and for not having Bonucci in the shootout.

end of. unarguable.

Should have, would have, could have. Spain could have won it in the end of the 90 minutes with Ramos inches from connecting with a header.

Spain played counter attacking football for a decent portion of the game, it was different but obviously they felt that Italy's counter attacking was dangerous and decided to put the shoe on the other foot.

Yes, Spain deserved it overall. That's what I've been saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Should have, would have, could have. Spain could have won it in the end of the 90 minutes with Ramos inches from connecting with a header.

Spain played counter attacking football for a decent portion of the game, it was different but obviously they felt that Italy's counter attacking was dangerous and decided to put the shoe on the other foot.

So spain were playing reactively

I think the process was proactive-reactive-proactive

It's a credit to the brilliance of this Spanish team over the last 5 years that we have so rarely seen them play counter attacking, reactive football, that when they do it, it's a surprise and a talking point.

Noooo. Spain were awesome! Amazing! Fantastic! Resilience of steal! Genius Tacticians. Masters of Football Chessboard. They Took what Italy threw at them, absorbed it like a wet sponge, gathered ten of those sponges and, with that unique intense Spanish ferocity, guile and passion, they flung the sponges back Italy's way!
    They missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Stop replying to him, hopefully he'll go away before he kills the forum. Just all put him on ignore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its alright saying ignore it etc, but at times your purposely derailing threads with theses vomit inducing paragraphs about glory and best ever, ****e such as that etc.

If you actually think what you write is normal enough for a football discussion then id worry about that more to he honest, than the constant masturbatory comments on foreign teams you seem to somehow think your part of.

I find it a pity you don't really like football discussion. There's some brilliant posters on this forum who's knowledge is great to read.

titan18 wrote: »
    Stop replying to him, hopefully he'll go away before he kills the forum. Just all put him on ignore

I agree with you. Not the part about killing the forum because that's silly but I'd rather talk to 3 people who are willing to have a debate and see a different point of view, than 30 people who are there purely to have a few snipes at me.

so...

1) penalties are a lottery until Spain take them well.
    2) Spain are in control of every game whether they're defending or attacking. they're always proactive in their play, apart from when they're reacting to the opposition.

cool story bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It's pretty impressive how long you've kept up trolling without a hitch it has to be said.

Did you not see the fifa thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think the process was proactive-reactive-proactive

It's a credit to the brilliance of this Spanish team over the last 5 years that we have so rarely seen them play counter attacking, reactive football, that when they do it, it's a surprise and a talking point.

You constantly criticise teams for not playing free flowing football. Now your praising Spain for it that makes no sense. By your logic you should be praising Italy tonight.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Its alright saying ignore it etc, but at times your purposely derailing threads with theses vomit inducing paragraphs about glory and best ever, ****e such as that etc.

If you actually think what you write is normal enough for a football discussion then id worry about that more to he honest, than the constant masturbatory comments on foreign teams you seem to somehow think your part of.

I find it a pity you don't really like football discussion. There's some brilliant posters on this forum who's knowledge is great to read.

Maybe you have a point. Equally though I would argue that up until that post at the end my posts were relatively short, my half time post was just a few tactical points I noticed during the game, with no real bias in the post, if you have the will search for it and you will see that what I am saying is true. I wasn't making myself a target for being a topic. Others made me a target. Read through the thread, there's references to me littered throughout the thread that I didn't respond to because I was watching the game. I don't know how I could be blamed for derailing a thread in which another user (me) is made a topic numerous times without me responding to it. Respect works both ways.

I won't discuss the second paragraph because again, I am the topic and again it will lead to a roundabout argument.

Perhaps I could, should and will talk about football matters other than Spain, Barcelona and Chelsea in the future, I will make that effort for the football forum. However I'd also rather not have to read about myself on every page of every match thread featuring Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Great win for Spain again tonight, an absolute master class in penalty taking!

Looking forward to seeing them beat Brazil in the final!

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You constantly criticise teams for not playing free flowing football. Now your praising Spain for it that makes no sense. By your logic you should be praising Italy tonight.

This is just a difference of football opinion. I have praised Italy on this thread, unfortunately it's been drowned out by largely irrelevant posts.

Italy played some good counter attacking stuff for most of the first half, they were quick, they targeted Spain in areas where they felt they could get at them and their formation lent itself to that (two wing backs being able to press Arbeloa and get a 2 vs 1 on Alba). In the second half, while they did have control of the game, and credit to them for that because it doesn't happen often against Spain, their passing wasn't anything to write home about. On the night neither side passed the ball as well as they can, maybe that's down to tiredness from tournament football or the conditions in Brazil, or both.

I've made no secret of my admiration for Spain's brand of tiki taka passing football. In extra time they got on the ball, they created chances and their passing improved dramatically. Again this is down to preference, I'm a believer in how Spain pass the ball, the intricate moves they create. Maybe others prefer Italy's slightly more direct style of passing, that's fine, each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Ignoring all your other hyperbole nonsense, how did Spain deserve it overall?

The statistics for the match were almost identical!

Even Spain's famed possession and passing statistics were marginally better than Italy's.

For me, Italy had the much better chances and should have been well ahead by half time. Spain couldn't handle their tactical prowess and the fact that Spain were able to rest players against Tahiti was also an important factor in this game.

Spain came into it more after half time but Italy still had their chances.

Prandelli also did himself a lot of good tonight. He showed himself to be a calm, intelligent manager.

To say that Spain deserved to win overall is inaccurate imo.

i think the constant soliloquies are the problem people have, not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I don't want to bring up too many old quotes so I'll just do the one because there was a few on this thread tonight that singled me out so I think I'm entitled to ask Johner, where is he now?

I'm here anderson but where are you? Old Trafford? That is your home yeah? :rolleyes: Oh wait sorry thats your brothers.

• Advertisement

i think the constant soliloquies are the problem people have, not much else.

Right, I'm willing to meet people half way to stop every thread becoming a thread about me, maybe some people like that or want that, I don't. Less soliloquies (though you will have to accept that I do get a bit poetic about football at the best of times) but I'd like less talk about me and more talk about football in these match threads, I'd also like it if people accepted that sometimes views are different to their own. Overall I felt Spain deserved it, I've given Italy their due praise, infact I'd say I've praised Italy more on this thread than some posters having a go at me have praised Spain.

Johner wrote: »
    I'm here anderson but where are you? Old Trafford? That is your home yeah? :rolleyes: Oh wait sorry thats your brothers.

I've given my account of what happened, if you like I'll photograph myself wearing various Chelsea and Barcelona jerseys for your viewing pleasure.

This is the kind of post I'm talking about, I'll absolutely meet everyone half way but seriously taking screen shots of my xbox profile and posting it on boards is weird, made even more weird by that profile being previously shared by my 17 and 15 year old brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

cut it out now. All of you. I don't want to see one more hyperbolic post about Spain or one more post about an Xbox account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have to say you would feel sorry for the Italians they gave it their all and should have won it in 90 mins. . Tardelli knew how Spain would play so he set up his side perfect tactics wise . It got to the stage where all the Spanish could do was knock it around the back four and midfield . They seemed to be afraid of going after Italy because they knew the Italians could hurt them .
    I would love to see how the Brazilians now set up against the spanish in the final it could make for some very interesting viewing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ignoring all your other hyperbole nonsense, how did Spain deserve it overall?

The statistics for the match were almost identical!

Even Spain's famed possession and passing statistics were marginally better than Italy's.

For me, Italy had the much better chances and should have been well ahead by half time. Spain couldn't handle their tactical prowess and the fact that Spain were able to rest players against Tahiti was also an important factor in this game.

Spain came into it more after half time but Italy still had their chances.

Prandelli also did himself a lot of good tonight. He showed himself to be a calm, intelligent manager.

To say that Spain deserved to win overall is inaccurate imo.

They didn't miss in the peno shoot-out.

• Advertisement

They didn't miss in the peno shoot-out.

In the context that he said it, you'd swear they should have won 3 or 4 nil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_pirlocoolpen.gif

785245342.gif?1372362108

Cool. As. ****.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

That peno was so good,goddamit I love that man,best player on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought the very 1st pen was the best, took the most balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seaneh wrote: »
    You talk an unfathomable amount of ****e.

You are either the worlds most annoying fanboy or the worlds greatest, most persistent WUM.

It was proven to be the latter recently. He was posting on another board as a diehard Madrid fan before 2012 / 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Maggio : "Spain is Spain"

In the past I have heard this from so many other players in in 1998 "France is France", 2002 "Brasil is Brasil", in 2006 "Italy is Italy" etc Never thought I would hear someone said that about Spain.

Italy played brilliantly, no doubt they could have and should have won the game, specially considering the way the played in the first half, but they failed to score. Spain were slow, looked doll and tired. Xavi was nowhere to be seen, their attack was static, is like they had lost the will to win, italy had the hunger, Spain were just holding back hoping they will run out of steam, and so they did, Italy went from better to worse and Spain from Worse to Better.

And in the penalties Spain are always a taught cookie. I thought Italy could have won as Casillas is still not 100% but the penalties were so well thrown that I dont even know if it would have made much difference.

This things happen though, in 1994 Spain deserved to win against Italy (I still remember Luis Enriques face all covered in blood, looking at the referee) but they didnt, they were the underdog back then, now it was Italy. Yes it was unfair, and yes, we all felt frustrated and cheated but hey... it happens.

In 1986 Michel scored a goal against Brasil that was never given (the last time they ever played until next sunday), Spain were again the underdog and again it was unfair.

These story has repeated itself for a long long time, until now, it is always unfair when you have little chances of winning and they ones you have are taken away, but this is more of an issue when you are the underdog. I think the worse case in recent times was against Korea in the 2002 WC quaterfinals.

Ever since I can remember Spain have always been the underdog, they were never expected to win and frankly most of the times they didnt deserve it either, but I can remember so many times we deserved to pass and didnt, but hey its football, this things happen!

So I am happy for the Spanish fans (and people like myself) because we are living a dream, we are finally proud and happy to be in this situation, were they are no longer the underdog but the favorites, hearing other teams say things such "we played them face to face" after one of Spains games its hard to believe, 20 years ago it would have been us saying that about Italy.

Brasil are going to be hard to beat, I personally think Italy were better and I am not sure if Brasil will be organize enough to put up the same type of fight, but they have the skills to do it, i hope it will be a good game to watch!

Arriba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think Brazil will put in a display like Italy last night, I dont think they have it in them to manage to keep it as tight and mistake free at the back to keep Spain out, at the other end they've more of an attacking threat then Italy so if they go ahead they might just have a chance to beat Spain.

Theres going to be some very interesting battles, Hulk against Alba will be very good, if Hulk isnt willing to chase back Alba could have the run of the left flank, Bernard had a decent cameo when he came on against Uruguay but I doubt he'll start TBH.

In CM, the all action Brazilians may spring a surprsie or two if they can press high and quickly on Xavi, Iniesta & Busquets but its a very tough ask to say the least.

I can see Spain winning it anyway on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Why did Italy not bring Di Natale? Best Italian striker around at he monet, I know he is pushing on a bit but he is still banging them in, could have been the difference this tournament, especially with Ballotellis injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Bohrio wrote: »

In 1986 Michel scored a goal against Brasil that was never given (the last time they ever played until next sunday), Spain were again the underdog and again it was unfair.

They've played each other a few times since then (one unofficial game and another official in 1990 and another friendly in 1999).

Regardless though I did find it interesting however to learn how infrequently these two traditionally great footballing nations have played each other over their histories. For instance, Sunday's game will be only the 10th meeting between them in their history. That is the third lowest number of games for any pairing of world cup winners. It's also the longest duration since any giving pairing of World Cup winners played each other (14 years).

Why did Italy not bring Di Natale? Best Italian striker around at he monet, I know he is pushing on a bit but he is still banging them in, could have been the difference this tournament, especially with Ballotellis injury.

Di Natale retired after Euro 2012

A player that's 35 and wants to keep playing needs to rest during the summer months and recharge the batteries.

He was only ever capped 42 times as well and he always had fierce competition with other quality Italian strikers.

Sublime player who has been so underrated over the years, it's not even funny

• Advertisement
Advertisement