Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confederations cup 15th-30th june

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Wow dunno if your serious. Spain will probably piss the world cup only team to touch them will be Germany.

Brazil won 3- 0 in case you haven't noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wonder will Del Bosque change the team around for the rest of the qualification games. Spain aren't exactly short on good players, and can't hurt to not give guys like Xavi a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The commentators are high in the stadium with a nice bottle of water next to them though ;)

For what it's worth, I don't think the weather was that bad though, they may have been tired but I'd wager (or maybe not :pac: ) that has more to do with the fact a lot of them have been playing pretty much non stop for the last few years.

A bit like Barcelona.

High in the stadium are you implying humidity is only on the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

WTF is going on with these presentations. FIFA really are completely bonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Lennonist wrote: »
    They're done man. They've had loads of success, more than they ever expected perhaps. They wont be contenders next Summer.

Well, there we have it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This game changes very little about how far away Brazil are from competing at the very top level.

They're a young team and there's plenty of potential there, but a WC is a different beast all together than this silly nonsense.

Nobody was saying that an era of American dominance was being ushered in when they beat Spain last time around.

We'll just have to wait and see how this Brazil team develops but they're very much long shots for the next WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jesus I don't know who is worse Hansen or Whelan been flicking between channels.

Whelan just said Spain need to start looking for a replacement for Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ronnie Whelan is just a tragedy at this stage. he pretty much has just written off Spain as done and thinks that Xavi and Iniesta are finished.

the clincher however is that he says they have nothing coming through to replace them....f*ck me, the man is clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Torres getting the golden boot :pac:

They're done man. They've had loads of success, more than they ever expected perhaps. They wont be contenders next Summer.

Really? They are sweeping the board at underage level? Surely to god they'll have some say in the world cup? i refuse to believe they are done. In fact a wounded Spain next year could indeed be a very dangerous animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Nolars wrote: »
    High in the stadium are you implying humidity is only on the ground?

Are you implying that players who run around for 90 odd minutes will feel the same effect as someone sitting in a nice, cosy spot watching a game of football ?

Again, I don't think humidity had much to do with it, but comparing Spain to Brazil is clueless at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

And the best fan goes to ........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Brazil won 3- 0 in case you haven't noticed.

Tbf Spain beat Italy 4-0 this time last year and there damn sure ain't a gap that big between them two either.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

GTR63 wrote: »
    They need a bit of a shake up and some legs. Get Martinez in the team. Hope it ain't like France who were all a bit leggy in 2002.

Carvajal, Martinez, Inigo Martinez, Isco, Illarramendi, Llorente, Soldado (one bad game against Nigeria people will hold against him yet Torres can have many bad games and that's grand seemingly >_<) Thiago and Mata should see more game time at the very least over the next year. Whether they do is another question.

Carvajal should be 100% starting at RB over Arbeloa anyway.

___

Lol AIG unthanking this post :D

Torres getting the golden boot :pac:

God id actually forgotten they had played Tahiti so in my head Fred was getting it.

Is it too hard to understand that humidity will have a bigger impact if you're running around for 90 minutes ?

Obviously not but why would you mention height??? height has nothing to do with it. sitting down vs running around is more comparable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Have you ever heard of humidity ?

Yes

Have you ever heard of humility?

They were outfought, outplayed and outclassed.

Maybe they'll take off that stupid thing that looks like a medal hanging off their shirts now - this might be a good thing for Spain, they'll realise they are not unbeatable and maybe will work harder.

Thing is, other teams won't just lay down and die before the whistle is blown now either, go at them, press them, exploit their weakness - defense, do not respect them too much and you've a chance. Go with a 10 man defense and just drop deep and defend the box and all you'll get is a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat so let's hope more coaches choose the right option.

Well, there we have it now

What do you think Billy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They should give Taihiti the golden cock in honour of them getting fúcked in every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Wow dunno if your serious. Spain will probably piss the world cup only team to touch them will be Germany.

Italy, Germany and Brazil are all teams who have shown the world how to play against Spain and plenty will follow suit. Attack them when they have the ball, get in their faces. Spain will not piss the world cup, it will be tough for them.

Del Bosque might need to rethink his double pivot system or at least have a plan B for the better sides. It will be interesting to see if their system evolves over the next 12 months. The inability to change tactics is becoming a major achille's heel for Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Nolars wrote: »
    Obviously not but why would you mention height??? height has nothing to do with it. sitting down vs running around is more comparable.

Because that's where they were sitting ? :confused:

God id actually forgotten they had played Tahiti so in my head Fred was getting it.

They scored the same amount I think but Torres scored them faster so he gets the award.

lmao wrote: »
    And the best fan goes to ........................

0051.gif

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Hansen the pundit will always be ok in my book after this.

Because that's where they were sitting ? :confused:

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

That_Guy wrote: »
    They should give Taihiti the golden cock in honour of them getting fúcked in every game.

Australia should be fecked back into the Oceania zone where they belong, having Tahiti in it devalued the tournament. Still, makes me wonder how New Zealand didn't make this tournament.

The constant mocking of the minnow nations by various people amazes me. I mean they are amateurs up against the top professionals so there is a great sense of inevitability about their defeats so i really dont see the actual purpose of people passing these remarks about them.

Australia should be fecked back into the Oceania zone where they belong, having Tahiti in it devalued the tournament. Still, makes me wonder how New Zealand didn't make this tournament.

The better thing would be to just get rid of the Oceania zone and put them all into the Asian conference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I still have complete faith in Spain and the Spanish style of play.

You sure bro, if not I've got you covered ;)

BOC7XoYCcAA83nf.jpg

The commentators are high in the stadium with a nice bottle of water next to them though ;)

For what it's worth, I don't think the weather was that bad though, they may have been tired but I'd wager (or maybe not :pac: ) that has more to do with the fact a lot of them have been playing pretty much non stop for the last few years.

A bit like Barcelona.

Put...............the .....................shovel..................down:D

• Advertisement

0051.gif

??

Competition over! We have a winner! :D

And thats a wrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

titan18 wrote: »
    The better thing would be to just get rid of the Oceania zone and put them all into the Asian conference

Good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

What do you think Billy?

Spain lost one game, i have no idea what will happen next summer.They might not even reach the world cup or they could win it. At a guess, i reckon they will be closer to winning it rather than not qualifing.

Should it not be a golden pussy no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I don't get the hatred for Spain in here.

They have arguably been the best international side the world has ever seen. One bad performance and result does not make you a bad team, IMO they will be back next summer stronger than before.

Really? They are sweeping the board at underage level? Surely to god they'll have some say in the world cup? i refuse to believe they are done. In fact a wounded Spain next year could indeed be a very dangerous animal

They might have a great future. They wont win in Brazil. Brazil will win in Brazil, unless maybe Germany beats them in the Final. Spain wont win it, that's a racing certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

titan18 wrote: »
    Wonder will Del Bosque change the team around for the rest of the qualification games. Spain aren't exactly short on good players, and can't hurt to not give guys like Xavi a rest.

I really think he should have changed the team around a bit for the Confederations Cup.

Xavi was clearly exhausted for the second half of the season and is in bad need of a good, long break. Villa could also have done with some time off to completely recover from his injury problems. Bringing Torres was a waste of time and he learnt absolutely nothing new by doing it. I also think he could have tried to mix things up a bit with the goalkeepers, possibly by incorporating De Gea into the squad.

VDB is obviously a very good manager, but I sometimes wonder if he lacks the personality to make big decisions at times. I also can't help but think that with Mourinho or Ferguson on the bench there is no chance that Ramos is allowed take a free kick or a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You sure bro, if not I've got you covered ;)

BOC7XoYCcAA83nf.jpg

Haha I'm like the band on the titanic, I'll keep playing and stay on the ship.

They might have a great future. They wont win in Brazil. Brazil will win in Brazil, unless maybe Germany beats them in the Final. Spain wont win it, that's a racing certainty.

Brazil have chinks. I think they'll crash and burn yet. Great nation with great fans and my sympathy goes out to their football mad fans for what their government have done to them but i cant help feeling they've showed their hand too quick. They will have two extra games next year to contest and could meet anyone. The Germans for example would match them for workrate and I think Italy are improving with every game under Prandelli

• Advertisement

carlop wrote: »
    I really think he should have changed the team around a bit for the Confederations Cup.

Xavi was clearly exhausted for the second half of the season and is in bad need of a good, long break. Villa could also have done with some time off to completely recover from his injury problems. Bringing Torres was a waste of time and he learnt absolutely nothing new by doing it. I also think he could have tried to mix things up a bit with the goalkeepers, possibly by incorporating De Gea into the squad.

VDB is obviously a very good manager, but I sometimes wonder if he lacks the personality to make big decisions at times. I also can't help but think that with Mourinho or Ferguson on the bench there is no chance that Ramos is allowed take a free kick or a penalty.

Same, I think it'd have been a good opportunity to give some of their younger players game time, but I do think fixtures played a part with the under 20 and under 21 championships on. Without that, I think changes would have been there. Should do it for the qualification games, just to freshen things up and rest some of the older guys with the World Cup coming up.

For the World Cup, I think anyone who's writing Spain off at this stage is an idiot, but they have some work to do, as Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Netherlands will all fancy their chances, and some dark horses with Colombia, Belgium, Portugal (depends on if Ronaldo can deliver), Japan and Ivory Coast could potentially beat them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hard luck Spain. The team doctor must have been at the Tour De France :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Two things. Spain have lost one game in 28/29, what basis is there for such certainty?

And why the hell are there so many fans/support of Germany on this forum?

Imagine if them protests go on next year and Brazil were to get knocked out it'd be chaos.
    Great FK's there in the 3rd place game. Still don't want Diamanti at Milan but them frees were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Go away Ronnie Whelan. His 'insight' is woeful but that half Scouse half Dub accent is criminal.

Brazil have chinks. I think they'll crash and burn yet. Great nation with great fans and my sympathy goes out to their football mad fans for what their government have done to them but i cant help feeling they've showed their hand too quick. They will have two extra games next year to contest and could meet anyone. The Germans for example would match them for workrate and I think Italy are improving with every game under Prandelli

Maybe Brazil have chinks, I'd still say Spain wont win. Germany would be the immediate alternative option. If I was a bookie I'd lay Espanya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

dfx- wrote: »
    Two things. Spain have lost one game in 28/29, what basis is the for such certainty?

I have huge respect for Spain and there players absolutely tremendous anyone claiming there done and dusted needs to sit down have a can of coke and a little think to themselves about the squad Spain possess.

But I am one of them who has been a fan of German for a few years now love there style of play it's really entertaining football with some terrific players from Lahm, Schweinsteiger to the younger up and coming player of Reus and Gotze.

Spain sometimes can really kill a game with possession football which the do brilliantly but Germany break with pace and skill and can exploit a gap in teams from there keeper to scoring a goal in seconds.

Two things. Spain have lost one game in 28/29, what basis is there for such certainty?

I have no allegiance toward any nation apart from Ireland who we can forget about being even in Brazil next year but i genuinely believe Germany, Italy and Spain along with Holland, Argentina and possibly Uruguay, can all ask questions of Brazil in 2014.

The Brazilian fans though are quite amazing. they really are the 12th man and i have to say the last time i got the sense of emotion amongst players during a national anthem was our Rugby team in Croker back in 07. The hairs stood on the back of my neck looking at those Brazilians before the game tonight.

Spain would be a good lay, in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But I am one of them who has been a fan of German for a few years now love there style of play it's really entertaining football with some terrific players from Lahm, Schweinsteiger to the younger up and coming player of Reus and Gotze.

Spain sometimes can really kill a game with possession football which the do brilliantly but Germany break with pace and skill and can exploit a gap in teams from there keeper to scoring a goal in seconds.

Italy I can understand because of how they've played against Spain and have showed they can compete.

Portugal I can understand for the same reason.

Now Brazil, if the stars align and are playing at home.

But Germany? Germany retreated into their shell against Spain and lost and shrivelled up against Italy in 2012 and lost. No basis for them in my opinion.

Advertisement