Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had early scan before 8 weeks?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking if someone got an appointment before 8 weeks for an early scan.
    I am told inspite of previous loss, I wont be given appointment before 8 weeks inspite of them tellin me last time that i would get an early appointment next time.
    Not sure, if i should get a private scan.
    Any experiences to share?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I had a scan at nearly 7 weeks but only because I have a very irregular cycle and they needed to find out how far gone I was. I didn't see very much just the yolk sac and the heart beat. Though a friend of mine had a private one done at just over 8 weeks at a place on grafton street and found it excellent, she showed me the photo's and the mini videos and they were really excellent. I think it was €95, if money isn't an issue for you at the moment I would definitely recommend it for peace of mind.

What hospital are you with, do you they provide a 12 week scan as standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I got a private scan at just over 8 weeks (I thought I was 9 weeks though but my dates were off). The place I got it said they didn't really do them before 8 weeks because often if it is that early they can't find the heartbeat etc and it can make the mother very worried. You might be best to wait until you hit 8 weeks - although I'm sure that's easier said than done if you'd have a previous bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the hospital provides the standard 12 weeks first appointment. But the early pregnancy unit wont provide before 8 weeks.
    I wanted to see the hearbeat, just for my satisfaction that evrything is fine.
    Hence was wondering whether do we see heartbeat before 8 weeks.
    Money is not an issue. But if I could see it before 8 weeks, i could get private scan. I will anyways talk to GP about this tomorrow, to see what could be done.

Any more experiences are welcome. I am trying to relax but failing miserably :)

kknitter wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, the hospital provides the standard 12 weeks first appointment. But the early pregnancy unit wont provide before 8 weeks.
    Money is not an issue. But if I could see it before 8 weeks, i could get private scan. I will anyways talk to GP about this tomorrow, to see what could be done.

If money isn't an issue you could just go for a private scan anyway but maybe prepare yourself that you might not see anything. It's up to you I guess if that would worry you more or less. I know if it was me it'd have me even more stressed out.

Here is what it says online at the place I went for my scan:
    We perform the Early Pregnancy scan from 8 weeks of pregnancy. It is generally advisable not to have an ultrasound examination prior to 7 or 8 weeks as frequently the pregnancy sac may be too small to be visible on ultrasound at such an early gestational age. Similarly, the heartbeat is not always detectable until 8 weeks, so we ask that mums wait until this stage to have the scan, as we do not want anybody going home worried if they do not get to see/hear the heartbeat. Otherwise, it is up to you at what stage between 8 and 14 weeks that you come in.

So it does say 7 or 8 weeks, so maybe you could go in somewhere at about 7 weeks. I was actually 7 + 5 having mine and saw everything no problem. It was very reassuring but I held off going in until I thought I was 8 weeks as I didn't want to take the chance of not seeing a heartbeat etc. It's understandable that you're worried anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I had an early private scan at 6 weeks 4 days. Merrion fetal clinic (private clinic in holles street) had no problem doing it before 8 weeks. We saw everything including a heartbeat :)

I believe it can be too early in some cases and not indicative of anything being wrong. Best of luck and hope you're able to relax soon.... So much easier said then done I know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Due to a previous ectopic pregnancy I was given a scan at 7 weeks and we were able to see/hear the heartbeat. Here in Spain it seems all 1st trimester scans are internal so there wasn't any issue finding the heartbeat. Not sure if it's the same back home or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

If you are prepared to pay you can get a scan in most of the private scanning facilities. Prices range from €90 - €120 and to me, if you are worried it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I had my early scan done at Mount Carmel - it was €95 and was an internal scan. As others have said you can also go to the Merrion Fertility clinic (Holles St) and Alliance Medical in Smithfield do early pregnancy scans also. I don't know about outside of Dublin I'm afraid. I phoned a few of them and the earliest and most convenient appointment I could get was in Mount Carmel.

Like you, I wanted to have a scan early as I am pregnant following IVF and my IVF doctor (abroad) advised me to have a scan at 6 weeks. Initially I ran into trouble as I couldn't get my GP to arrange it and I didn't have an appointment with my midwife or consultant until next week. My GP then told me that I can just phone up and get a scan myself for reassurance - no referral needed.

If you are worried and stressed out, then €95 to reassure yourself is money well spent as stress is no good for the baby.

And keep your receipts and use them with your Med1 form for revenue at the end of the year.

Thank you all for the quick replies. It so comfirting to know all your responses.
    I really appreciate all the help.
    I see your point that it might be too early. Let's see if i can wait it out.
    I am hoping everything progresses fine this time.

Thank you all for the quick replies. It so comfirting to know all your responses.
    I really appreciate all the help.
    I see your point that it might be too early. Let's see if i can wait it out.
    I am hoping everything progresses fine this time.

How many weeks are you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

I got one at 7 weeks in the fetal assessment unit in cumh when I was there for hyperemesis. I literally chanced my arm and asked coz the maternity nurse at my gp's freaked me out telling me it could be twins! Thankfully there was only one :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

GP can refer you as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

When I went to my GP to confirm the pregnancy, she said that she was going to try to get me an early booking appointment; and was going to try the excuse that I was an older 1st time mum (37). I had my booking appointment at 7w 3d; the doctor we saw (briefly) did a quick mini-scan, she pointed out the heartbeat which was a teeney flicker on the screen, but it was there and in the right place so we were happy.
    I would say hang on to as near as 8 weeks as you can and have a private scan - it'll be worth the wait :) Unfortunately, in early pregnancy it's so hard to know that everything is okay; you just have to go on faith that everything is going as it should - its a long wait!!

GP can refer you as far as I know.

yes a GP can refer you, but usually by the time the referral gets to the hospital and they contact you it is at least 9 or 10 weeks. And a lot of hospitals won't go on a GP referral for this type of thing as if they did they would be inundated. At least this is what my GP told me.

I don't think it is worth waiting til 8 weeks if you are worried as worry and stress are not good for either you or the baby. And actually, early pregnancy scans are the most accurate at dating the pregnancy. So whilst you think you might be 7 weeks, you might actually be 8 or 6. Even knowing the correct dates can help put your mind at ease as often you might think 'oh I'm 8 weeks now, I should be this that or the other' but in fact you are a week or two off that.

If you can't get an early scan, ask your GP to draw some bloods and check your bHcG and progesterone levels. They will test you again 2 days later and as long as everything is doubling and at the right level, you can relax a bit.

Once you are past 6 weeks I say go for it if it will give you some level of comfort.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    How many weeks are you now?

Hui MurdyWurdy,

I am 5 weeks now. I know, too early for thinking anything :)

Hui MurdyWurdy,

I am 5 weeks now. I know, too early for thinking anything :)

I remember that stage - I was so worried too until I had the early scan even though I had had no previous problems and it was my first pregnancy so I had no reason to fret. It's completely natural, I think we all do it. I'm 36 weeks now so that time seems like a long time ago! :)

Congratulations anyway on your pregnancy and sure if you find yourself getting stressed out you can always get a private scan whenever you want. The option is always there and you can decide if you think it's worth having one in a week or so :)

Thank you nikpmup,

My GP gave the reference, but they still wont do before 8 weeks (8 weeks is early scan according to them). I guess everybody's right when they say wait it out. I think I might wait.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I appreciate it. It is my first. And due to previous experiences, I am hoping that it works out this time :)

I agree MurddyWurdy, I will see how next week progresses, and if I cant keep my nerves under control, I migth give in.

kknitter, do as you say and see how things are next week. If you are still worried you can get a scan from 6 weeks on at Mount Carmel.

I'm sure everything will be fine though - just keep thinking positive thoughts and baby will pick up on them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had a scan at 5 weeks and I only seen the yolk sac. .But I had that scan done because I have had 2 miscariage this year.If you go into the EPU they might do it as they done it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement