Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this tree?

• 27-05-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

A little Monday quiz for you!!

I am looking to plant a tree in the corner of the back garden. I passed by this tree the other day and would like to know what it is so that I can see if it is appropriate for where I want to plant it.

Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would you have a closeup of a leaf? i'm thinking it might be an acer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

would you have a closeup of a leaf? i'm thinking it might be an acer.

Never thought of that. It was a drive-by photo. I will see if I can get one and post it here. Those branches are pretty high, I'll have to hope there are one or two on the ground! I'd better call in rather than start climbing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All you need do is get a bit closer, a pic from the pavement would be fine, I agree it looks like an acer from the shape.

Ok, will do. I thought it might be a birch variety.

Anyone ever come across Chinese Evergreen Elm? I have just

Really I'm looking for something that has a single straight trunk, with a good coverage, with preference for wideness rather than height (I know a lot can be achieved with pruning/shaping). A medium sized tree. Something that changes colour with the seasons would be great. I know its a lot to ask for, but something with scent would also be great.

Any suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you dont want much do you :D

A whitebaem may achieve what you are looking for in shape and size, has flowers and berries.

But for scent maby an underplanting of scented shrubs or herbs.

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    you dont want much do you :D

A whitebaem may achieve what you are looking for in shape and size, has flowers and berries.

But for scent maby an underplanting of scented shrubs or herbs.

Yeah, I know, I'm pretty much looking for everything. But the priority is shape: I want something that is wide rather than really tall, and it must have a single straight trunk.

Some of the whitebeams I have seen would tend to be taller rather than wide. The shape of the tree in my posted image is really what I am aiming for. I need to get back and get a closer look.

Thanks for that Oldtree, that's a nice one alright. If I could prune to get that wider rather than really tall it might just do the job. I need it to be fairly "slim" up to about 10 feet when fully grown, i.e. I will be planting quite close to a wall on one side and at the edge of a patio on the other, so dont want it to be taking up too much space.

ok 10 foot, not whitebeam then, wouldn't look right... :D

have a look here for a few ideas, but perhaps an acer is the way to go, there are many different and interesting barks to choose from.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?PID=117

maby somthing fastigate

Not sure fastigate is the answer. I need good spread once it reaches above wall height. I suppose I'd like something about 35ft high and with similar width/spread. The tree in the pic I posted is an ideal shape, the idea is to block some surrounding houses in what is a town garden. I already planted some bamboo last year. It's looking a bit anaemic so far but I am trying to stay positive :) I know that deciduous trees wont provide much cover in winter, but I'm happy with that.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

A little Monday quiz for you!!

I am looking to plant a tree in the corner of the back garden. I passed by this tree the other day and would like to know what it is so that I can see if it is appropriate for where I want to plant it.

Anyone know what it is?
    need a close up. But try a search on prunus kanzan or some of the other flowering cherries as an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Take a trip to the free National gardens of Ireland
    http://www.gardenexhibition.ie/
    or the botanical gardens

and you should see something you like and get advice

or even Bloom in the park if you are flush!

so we have narrowed it down to a 10 foot trunk leading to a crown 25 foot high and 35 foot wide. I'm not sure your picture tree would do that. Any tree is going to take many years to grow into that shape.

Sounds like you dont need a small tree at all. Put in a sycamore......:D
    but be warned your neighbours can cut off branches that overhang their property. You may be better off with a line of fastigate trees allowing room between them and the wall for girth expansion.

perhaps a photo of the situation would help us help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a crabapple that is more or less the shape you are talking about, though 10 foot of bare stem is asking a lot for it to then spread. However it is against a wall and I have had to savagely cut one side as the branches were hanging over the neighbours' side and they were not impressed when all the apples fell on their paving!

Prob six foot trunk before spreading would be ok

looksee wrote: »
    I have a crabapple that is more or less the shape you are talking about, though 10 foot of bare stem is asking a lot for it to then spread. However it is against a wall and I have had to savagely cut one side as the branches were hanging over the neighbours' side and they were not impressed when all the apples fell on their paving!

a 35 foot high apple tree photo please :D

to avoid annoying the neighbours, the tree so close to the boundry would require constant work, i really think a line of fastigate is the way to go.

fastigate hornbeam is lovely and then underplant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Oldtree wrote: »
    fastigate hornbeam is lovely and then underplant.

thats easy for you to say!

thats easy for you to say!

it will take time to sort out any sort of privacy barrier to the height required. :D

It looks like we are finally coming to make a decision on this, with the Sorbus Spire the leading contender now. A line of them (8-10), rather than fewer trees that have a wider coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hostafairy

I think that tree could be robinia .

Prunus serulla is nice , sorbus vialli , aver davidii , are also nice trees

Crataegus " Paul's scarlet " nice also
    Mount Venus nursery has nice trees in rathfarnham ;dublin
    Nangle and neeson in cork

Tully nurseries dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I wonder if it is a birch...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

for a lot of bang for your buck and if you want an evergreen other than the totally overused ones you see everywhere, eucryphia, a large leaf one or an evergreen hoheria will both give a super display of flowers, and will grow in all soils. Another idea might be a cornus kousa, if your soil suited it

Advertisement