Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage problems during windy weather

Options
  • 27-05-2013 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

they are interested

they have to be interested if the problem is their side

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

As far as I know the voltage standard is 230 v nominal. +6%, -10%. That is, sustained voltage between 224v and 207v is within voltage standard.

You would, I think have a case to pursue in the event that you are normally in receipt of a voltage of less than 207v - but, perhaps under storm conditions there is a possibility of have below standard supply (or none at all).

If this is an ongoing problem suggest writing to ESN Networks with histoty and if no luck, perhaps follow up with Energy Regulator (if you have a UPS though - surely the UPS can override these non-standard voltages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Sent reply - not sure if arrived as I am new here.

I suggest you write, rather than phone, ESB networks stating you have a poor "quality of supply".

It will be resolved, and you may well be correct as to the cause. Will take some months to resolve. Keep a record from now on of poor voltages (date, times, weather conditions, etc)

Just thought of an another aspect. Do you know of any neighbour supplied from the same transformer as you has the same problem? If so, perhaps point that out to ESB networks. If not, this would indicate a problem between the transformer and your house. (but perhaps the transformer only supplies the one house)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like a bad connection alright, being disturbed more when windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Appears to be a defect on the ESB Medium Voltage (10kV or 20 kV) network supplying the transformer which, in turn provides Low Voltage to you and your neighbour's houss.

I would be very surprised if ESB Networks does not agree that there appears to be a defect on their side and agree to investigate.

I do not know, but suspect ESB is not formally aware of this problem - perhaps there is a very small number of houses affected.

I advise, for what it is worth, a letter to ESB networks outlining exactly what you have said on this boards.

Advertisement