Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about banking

Options
  • 27-05-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I moved to Canada a few months ago (IEC) and I had about 10 grand saved. I wasn't comfortable bringing that much in my pocket, so I brought about 4,500. Even then I was sweating about that much. I still have about half that, but I figured it's my money, I'd rather have it and not need it than let it sit in Ireland. I have internet banking set up for both Irish and Canadian banks (BoI and TD), but apparently I can't do that. Even though both banks said I could.

I'm not sure about how to use paypal, and trying to set up a wire is awkward (but doable) since I'm working/travelling to and from work from 8 to 8 roughly. I know I should have sorted this out before I left, but BOI told me that internet banking was all I needed, and I thought "great, that's a huge load off my mind" and I thought I could focus on everything else.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Loblox wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I moved to Canada a few months ago (IEC) and I had about 10 grand saved. I wasn't comfortable bringing that much in my pocket, so I brought about 4,500. Even then I was sweating about that much. I still have about half that, but I figured it's my money, I'd rather have it and not need it than let it sit in Ireland. I have internet banking set up for both Irish and Canadian banks (BoI and TD), but apparently I can't do that. Even though both banks said I could.

I'm not sure about how to use paypal, and trying to set up a wire is awkward (but doable) since I'm working/travelling to and from work from 8 to 8 roughly. I know I should have sorted this out before I left, but BOI told me that internet banking was all I needed, and I thought "great, that's a huge load off my mind" and I thought I could focus on everything else.

Any advice?

You should be able to wire it fromyour Irish account.
    Have done it from BOI before.
    You will have to set up the Canadian account as a payee from your online banking
    I wouldn't use paypal have heard of bad things happening with that

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

use currency fair much better rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

Should be straightforward with internet banking if you've the IBAN and swiftcode of your TD account. If you're new to that kind of thing I'd recommend that, you'll get a fair enough deal. Once you've a few transactions under your belt and are more comfortable with internet banking you could start looking at getting better deals with e.g. currency fair.

BTW be aware there are limits to the amount of cash you can bring legally between countries (5k or so in Ireland IIRC), apart from the fact that carrying that much cash is a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

go to your 365 online and add an international payee. give your td bank details and boi will post a code to your irish address in a few days. enter the code on 365 and you are set up. a small transactyion fee applies but not much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

cost me 16 euros to transfer 9000 into my canadian bank account over the weekend. Money arrived safe and well if a little jetlagged yesterday morning
    I was dealing with Ulster Bank and Desjardins

• Advertisement
Advertisement